Vintage Raleigh dating/model needed

Old October 17th 11, 06:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

Default Vintage Raleigh dating/model needed

Does anyone know what model this Raleigh is, or approximate year?
All the equipment is original except the original Brooks which is
shown in separate images. The bike is pretty heavy, at least by
today's standards. It has no model name on it and I could not find a
serial number turning it over. The derailleurs and shifter are Huret.

I'm also curious as to what model Brooks is shown, I cannot find that
in the catalogue.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/raleigh.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/raleigh_badge.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/brooks_1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/brooks_2.jpg

thanks to all.

Old October 17th 11, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Ronko" wrote in message
Does anyone know what model this Raleigh is, or approximate year?
All the equipment is original except the original Brooks which is
shown in separate images. The bike is pretty heavy, at least by
today's standards. It has no model name on it and I could not find a
serial number turning it over. The derailleurs and shifter are Huret.

I'm also curious as to what model Brooks is shown, I cannot find that
in the catalogue.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/raleigh.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/raleigh_badge.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/brooks_1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/brooks_2.jpg

thanks to all.

Ronko,
Here's the closest I could find:
http://www.jaysmarine.com/1972raleighcat_us_02_lg.jpg
Couldn't find anything with fenders like your photo, and couldn't find a
Record that had both stem shifters and sidepull brakes.
You may have better luck that I did, though, at:
http://www.jaysmarine.com/bikecollection.html
That site also has a section on Brooks saddles.
Happy hunting,
Kerry

Old October 17th 11, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Ronko wrote:
Does anyone know what model this Raleigh is, or approximate year?
All the equipment is original except the original Brooks which is
shown in separate images. The bike is pretty heavy, at least by
today's standards. It has no model name on it and I could not find a
serial number turning it over. The derailleurs and shifter are Huret.

I'm also curious as to what model Brooks is shown, I cannot find that
in the catalogue.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/raleigh.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/raleigh_badge.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/brooks_1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/brooks_2.jpg

Easy, it's a Raleigh Sprite. 1970~1973 ish.

Saddle, handlebar and brake levers are not original.

Saddle is a cheap vinyl 'mattress' saddle with a row of
springs as used on Sprite, Ltd etc. Unremarkable at best.

p.s. rear carrier is not level.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 17th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

the '78 I ride, and no complaints, AAA all the way, has spherical head
bottoms on CR bolts, an SR CR.
Old October 18th 11, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

In article ,
says...

Ronko wrote:
[...]

The original owner gave me this bike, he's finally selling the family
home and hasn't used this in years. He never had the bike altered and
only rode it occasionally years ago, so evidenlty the parts are original.
The rack is quite ugly and will be removed.

Old October 18th 11, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

In article , phil@lee-
family.me.uk says...

Ronko considered Sun, 16 Oct 2011 22:27:30
-0700 the perfect time to write:

Does anyone know what model this Raleigh is, or approximate year?
All the equipment is original except the original Brooks which is
shown in separate images. The bike is pretty heavy, at least by
today's standards. It has no model name on it and I could not find a
serial number turning it over. The derailleurs and shifter are Huret.

I'm also curious as to what model Brooks is shown, I cannot find that
in the catalogue.

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/raleigh.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/raleigh_badge.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/brooks_1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~expansive/brooks_2.jpg

thanks to all.

Chromed steel rims, 40/32 spoking - are they 27"?
Steel cranks with cotters.
I wouldn't be at all certain that the stem-shifters are original, or
the band-on bottle cage (handlebar mount 2 bottle cages were more
common back then).
I'd estimate early 70s, and closely related to the one I had as a
teenager.
Not one of the more expensive models, but quite rideable.
You may find a serial number on the back of the seat tube if it isn't
in the usual place under the BB.
If you can find a number it might be possible to get it down to a
month of manufacture and almost certainly a year.

Please level that rack!

AFAIK Those saddles were never sold individually, but were supplied
for fitment to new bikes - Brooks was part of Raleigh at the time, so
all saddles fitted to any Raleigh group bicycles carried the name
Brooks.
They were cheap and nasty vinyl/fabric/cardboard construction.
I've got one lying around here somewhere (identical but in white), as
it was original equipment on my daughters bike when it was bought new
for my sister-in-law in the late 70s.
It does not look as if it would have been original equipment on a
ten-speed racer - most of them were fitted to children's bikes.

Yes, rims are 27" Water cage was a cheap add on no doubt. The original
owner never had any of this stuff altered, according to him. I don't think its
one of the better models, and as its too large for me I'll just CL it. I'll check
further for serial number. As you and others have indicated, the rack is
going. Ugly. This bike is too heavy to be a "racer", I was just curious about
what I have here.

thank you!

Old October 18th 11, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

In article ,
says...

Ronko wrote:
The original owner gave me this bike, he's finally selling the family
home and hasn't used this in years. He never had the bike altered and
only rode it occasionally years ago, so evidenlty the parts are original.
The rack is quite ugly and will be removed.

I sold them new bars levers and saddle are not original.

The carrier is period at least, standard in some years. It
fits in OK but it's askew in a gratingly not-level way.

reference:
http://jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_cat_72.html
http://jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_cat_73.html

Old October 18th 11, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

take it apart, flush/paint inside
inspect, add new bearing, grease, clean cable, lube silicon....
a rear rack dropping rearward sheds water.

itsa nice old bicycle.
aforced march to racerville misnt required reading
Old October 18th 11, 05:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ronko

In article , says...

In article ,

says...

Ronko wrote:
The original owner gave me this bike, he's finally selling the family
home and hasn't used this in years. He never had the bike altered and
only rode it occasionally years ago, so evidenlty the parts are original.
The rack is quite ugly and will be removed.

I sold them new bars levers and saddle are not original.

The carrier is period at least, standard in some years. It
fits in OK but it's askew in a gratingly not-level way.

reference:
http://jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_cat_72.html
http://jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_cat_73.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The saddle on the bike I slapped on because the Brooks is missing all the
parts for the double-rail saddle clamp. There is a picture of a '77 Raleigh
Record that has those bars and levers, but I'll back off my 100% position
on that as you sold these. It certainly doesn't appear to be altered and
there are no downtube lugs or band marks where a clamp on downtube
assembly would have been.

Rick