Which V-?

Old May 6th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DB4

Default Which V-?

Hi
Seeking opinions on Avid V-brakes (Single Digit-7) over the more commonly
available Shimano brakes my local bike shop promote! I'm upgrading the
cantilevers (at significant expense) on my trusty old Orange C-16. Can't
bring myself to part with it yet, largely because all the new bikes seem so
fashionably expensive.

So folks - anyone able to vouch for the Avids? I'll be coupling them to XT
levers. Or do the Shimano's win out with their XT brake?
Many thanks
Dennis

Old May 6th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

DB4 wrote:
Hi
Seeking opinions on Avid V-brakes (Single Digit-7) over the more commonly
available Shimano brakes my local bike shop promote! I'm upgrading the
cantilevers (at significant expense) on my trusty old Orange C-16. Can't
bring myself to part with it yet, largely because all the new bikes seem so
fashionably expensive.

So folks - anyone able to vouch for the Avids? I'll be coupling them to XT
levers. Or do the Shimano's win out with their XT brake?
Many thanks
Dennis

i'll vouch for them - they work great. xt brakes, with all those extra
joints and looseness, squeal like crazy - the avids don't. same pull
ratios so no mechanical problems with that combination.
Old May 6th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jackson

Hi
Seeking opinions on Avid V-brakes (Single Digit-7) over the more commonly
available Shimano brakes my local bike shop promote! I'm upgrading the
cantilevers (at significant expense) on my trusty old Orange C-16. Can't
bring myself to part with it yet, largely because all the new bikes seem so
fashionably expensive.

I've used them on two bikes and have had zero problems with either one.
Easy to use and they stop me just fine.

Jeff Jackson

Old May 6th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

DB4 wrote:
Hi
Seeking opinions on Avid V-brakes (Single Digit-7) over the more commonly
available Shimano brakes my local bike shop promote! I'm upgrading the
cantilevers (at significant expense) on my trusty old Orange C-16. Can't
bring myself to part with it yet, largely because all the new bikes seem so
fashionably expensive.

So folks - anyone able to vouch for the Avids? I'll be coupling them to XT
levers. Or do the Shimano's win out with their XT brake?
Many thanks
Dennis

I choose any Avids V brakes over Shimano's. Of all the brakes I used/use
(XTR-XT V-brakes, mechanical disc brakes, hydraulic rimbrakes and
hydraulic disc brakes) they were the only brakes that never squeeled.
Great brakes.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)
Old May 6th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

DB4 wrote:
Hi
Seeking opinions on Avid V-brakes (Single Digit-7) over the more commonly
available Shimano brakes my local bike shop promote! I'm upgrading the
cantilevers (at significant expense) on my trusty old Orange C-16. Can't
bring myself to part with it yet, largely because all the new bikes seem so
fashionably expensive.

So folks - anyone able to vouch for the Avids? I'll be coupling them to XT
levers. Or do the Shimano's win out with their XT brake?
Many thanks
Dennis

I choose any Avids V brakes over Shimano's. Of all the brakes I used/use
(XTR-XT V-brakes, mechanical disc brakes, hydraulic rimbrakes and
hydraulic disc brakes) they were the only brakes that never squeeled.
Great brakes.

For what it's worth: I couldn't stop XT front V-brakes from squealing
(It was actually a combination of a high squeal and a much lower tone
reminiscent of a baroque organ. I worried about scaring the cows on
alpine trails). The back brake was never a problem. I considered Avid,
but my LBS suggested that Deore brakes (no complicated linkage) would do
just as well for much less money. They have worked fine. If I were
buying now I would buy Deore LX instead of Deore because I prefer the
"pad" insert system.

Ned in Zurich

--
Ned Mantei
Zurich, Switzerland
Old May 7th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

DB4 wrote:
Seeking opinions on Avid V-brakes (Single Digit-7) over the more commonly
available Shimano brakes my local bike shop promote! I'm upgrading the
cantilevers (at significant expense) on my trusty old Orange C-16. Can't
bring myself to part with it yet, largely because all the new bikes seem so
fashionably expensive.

So folks - anyone able to vouch for the Avids? I'll be coupling them to XT
levers. Or do the Shimano's win out with their XT brake?

I'd clean up the XT cantis, add new pads & cables.
YMMV.

p.s. normal levers won't pull linear brakes without an adapter. Which
costs more than a pair of linear levers in flat bar models.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old May 7th 07, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

jim beam wrote:
i'll vouch for them - they work great. xt brakes, with all those extra
joints and looseness, squeal like crazy - the avids don't. same pull
ratios so no mechanical problems with that combination.

I heartily agree about the overly complex, failure-prone XT-V.
But the OP has XT cantis.

Old May 7th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

jim beam wrote:
i'll vouch for them - they work great. xt brakes, with all those
extra joints and looseness, squeal like crazy - the avids don't. same
pull ratios so no mechanical problems with that combination.

I heartily agree about the overly complex, failure-prone XT-V.
But the OP has XT cantis.

maybe - but based on a quick google search for the original equipment
these bikes were sold with, i think he's got the wrong terminology - i
think he's looking at xt-v's. doubtless the op will clarify!
Old May 7th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Crazy Fred

On May 6, 11:53 am, DB4 wrote:
Hi
Seeking opinions on Avid V-brakes (Single Digit-7) over the more commonly
available Shimano brakes my local bike shop promote! I'm upgrading the
cantilevers (at significant expense) on my trusty old Orange C-16. Can't
bring myself to part with it yet, largely because all the new bikes seem so
fashionably expensive.

So folks - anyone able to vouch for the Avids? I'll be coupling them to XT
levers. Or do the Shimano's win out with their XT brake?
Many thanks
Dennis

Go Avid and use Avid or Kool Stop pads.

Old May 7th 07, 10:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DB4

Thanks for the sound opinions guys. To clarify - the original setup is all
shimano alivio (cantis and combined brake lever/shifter). I got myself the
XT V-brake levers off e-bay to couple to my V-brakes. The 'expense' is in
having to change everything to get to do the upgrade - levers, shifters and
the brake itself. My thoughts on the XT brake itself seem confirmed though.
Interesting concept on paper but overly complex in reality. I'll go with
the Avids!!

Now - any thoughts on cables..... Thanks again.

Thx again
Dennis

On 7/5/07 05:13, in article ,