Clarkson: Cycling is unsafe… so leave your bike at home

Old September 22nd 16, 05:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Clarkson: Cycling is unsafe so leave your bike at home

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 01:29:36 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Your idea of not requiring others to do anything for you, which is why going down the left is daft, as people won't expect you there.

This lorry driver saw me and then put his indicator on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg
Old September 22nd 16, 09:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 22/09/2016 01:29, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 10:00:15 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 21/09/2016 01:15, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 21:39:20 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 20/09/2016 20:28, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 20:08:34 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 20/09/2016 18:34, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 10:44:37 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 20/09/2016 02:03, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Mon, 19 Sep 2016 09:36:59 +0100, TMS320
wrote:
On 18/09/2016 22:39, James Wilkinson wrote:
On Sun, 18 Sep 2016 22:19:19 +0100, TMS320
wrote:
On 16/09/2016 19:07, James Wilkinson wrote:

I wouldn't say the risk is low when weaving between moving
cars
that
probably won't see you.

When a driver's options are constrained by other motor vehicles
around,
a motor vehicle's path is very predictable. It is not always
necessary
to be seen.

And how do you know the car near the pavement won't veer to the
left a
little and reduce your space?

I have only ever seen rear wheel steering on fork lift trucks...

Why would rear wheel steering be needed?

Because if the driver intends to move sideways in a front steered
vehicle after you have started to go past, it is an obvious flag.

No, the driver moves forwards when the queue starts moving, and
doesn't
stay perfectly straight.

Your ability to assimilate bits of different posts is as bad as
Nugent.
(Do you really want to be considered as a peer with him?) I told you
elsewhere about this.

I manage perfectly well with people who talk straight.

Why can't you understand that a queue can start moving? Why can't you
understand you have nowhere to go?

I have already told you that a queue of motor vehicles does not start
moving like a train.

How do you think the cars reach the next junction?

Do you need an explanation of the difference between the way a train
starts and the way a queue of motor vehicles starts?

Doesn't matter how it starts, you're stuck next to it when it moves.

Then you clearly don't understand the difference between a train
and a queue of motor vehicles.

Here it is. When the front of a train starts to move, the carriages
behind also start moving. When the first vehicle in a queue of motor
vehicles starts to move, a delay accumulates up all the way down the
line. Just look ahead to know whether or not the current vehicle is
going to move any time soon. What's so difficult about that?

However, you mentioned weaving, not passing on the left.
Different
things.

Simon showed us him passing on both sides. I then told him
undertaking
was dangerous. Do keep up at the back.

If you must. It's not an almost 100% guaranteed failure rate, like
jumping off a cliff.

People do dangerous things all the time: crossing a road on foot is
dangerous; but someone that doesn't know how to do it will have
less
success than someone that does.

But you have to get across the road.

We were discussing danger.

You introduced the road crossing. I pointed out it was a bad analogy.

It doesn't matter that it is not directly comparable. It was an example
showing how people have the ability to learn and control danger; it's
just something familiar that is taken for granted. You can't dismiss a
comparison on the basis that one is a necessary activity but an other
supposedly isn't.

Your analogy is one thing that has to be done. The original is a choice
of two things.

It is not an analogy. It is just an example that coping with dangerous
situations is a learned ability.

The situations are completely different. One can be avoided, the other
has to be overcome.

You're free to overtake on the correct side instead.

I'm free to overtake on the side I decide is least dangerous... and
if I
decide the risk is too high, there is also the freedom to not
overtake
at all.

Indeed, yet Simon decides to squeeze through the side where nobody
expects him.

You seem to be suggesting that he is unable to decide which side has
the
lowest risk for the benefit he is trying to achieve. And that you know
better, without possessing any first hand knowledge. Besides, I don't
know about him but I prefer to find my way through queues without
requiring anybody to expect me and do anything for me.

Precisely.

What are you agreeing with?

Your idea of not requiring others to do anything for you, which is why
going down the left is daft, as people won't expect you there.

Going down the left requires the drivers to be looking out
for you.

I don't require this.

You do on the left.

OK, so if a driver was expecting it, what are they supposed to do about it?
Old September 22nd 16, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Tue, 20 Sep 2016 18:41:19 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Tuesday, 20 September 2016 18:34:36 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

But you have to get across the road. You're free to overtake on the correct side instead.

151: In slow-moving traffic you should be aware of cyclists and motorcyclists who may be passing on either side.

Can you do this?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uonb2oiv10...cycle.mp4?dl=0

--
Best Friend Experiment:
Put your dog and your wife in the trunk of the car for an hour.
Old September 23rd 16, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 22/09/2016 05:11, Alycidon wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 01:29:36 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Your idea of not requiring others to do anything for you, which is why going down the left is daft, as people won't expect you there.

This lorry driver saw me and then put his indicator on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg

I seriously thought you were going to post some lorry driver being a
prat instead all I saw was you going up the inside of a left turning
and indicating lorry.

Really Simon even with local knowledge, that was some dodgy sh1t,
take a slapped wrist.
Old September 23rd 16, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 23/09/2016 10:34, soup wrote:
On 22/09/2016 05:11, Alycidon wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 01:29:36 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Your idea of not requiring others to do anything for you, which is
why going down the left is daft, as people won't expect you there.

This lorry driver saw me and then put his indicator on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg

I seriously thought you were going to post some lorry driver being a
prat instead all I saw was you going up the inside of a left turning
and indicating lorry.

Really Simon even with local knowledge, that was some dodgy sh1t,
take a slapped wrist.

A lovely example of how badly cyclists behave on the roads, is it any
wonder they are reviled by the general public?

Old September 23rd 16, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Thu, 22 Sep 2016 05:11:14 +0100, Alycidon wrote:

On Thursday, 22 September 2016 01:29:36 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Your idea of not requiring others to do anything for you, which is why going down the left is daft, as people won't expect you there.

This lorry driver saw me and then put his indicator on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg

I agree with the comments under the clip. He was turning left and still moving, the gap was closing.

--
I am sorry I offended you - I should have lied.
Old September 23rd 16, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

On 23/09/2016 17:25, Alycidon wrote:
On Friday, 23 September 2016 10:34:29 UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 22/09/2016 05:11, Alycidon wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 01:29:36 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Your idea of not requiring others to do anything for you, which is why going down the left is daft, as people won't expect you there.

This lorry driver saw me and then put his indicator on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg

I seriously thought you were going to post some lorry driver being a
prat instead all I saw was you going up the inside of a left turning
and indicating lorry.

Really Simon even with local knowledge, that was some dodgy sh1t,
take a slapped wrist.

Ooh, you big bully.

Less of that me laddo or it's the naughty step for you.
Old September 23rd 16, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 19:38:11 +0100, soup wrote:

On 23/09/2016 17:25, Alycidon wrote:
On Friday, 23 September 2016 10:34:29 UTC+1, soup wrote:
On 22/09/2016 05:11, Alycidon wrote:
On Thursday, 22 September 2016 01:29:36 UTC+1, James Wilkinson wrote:

Your idea of not requiring others to do anything for you, which is why going down the left is daft, as people won't expect you there.

This lorry driver saw me and then put his indicator on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5acTuJm58zg

I seriously thought you were going to post some lorry driver being a
prat instead all I saw was you going up the inside of a left turning
and indicating lorry.

Really Simon even with local knowledge, that was some dodgy sh1t,
take a slapped wrist.

Ooh, you big bully.

Less of that me laddo or it's the naughty step for you.

Put him over your knee.

--
Please tell your pants it's not polite to point.
Old September 24th 16, 01:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson

wrote:
[...]

Then once you know it's moving, what do you do? Jump onto the pavement?

[...]

Leave more room for the idiot cyclist trying to overtake on the wrong side.

--
When a woman wears leather clothing, a man's heart beats quicker, his throat gets dry, he goes weak in the knees, and he begins to think irrationally.
Ever wonder why?