Groin pain / numbness

Old August 27th 04, 11:16 AM
Tom

Default Groin pain / numbness

Hi - Had this problem about a year now and not any closer to finding a solution

Basic problem started out with pain/burning in left groin the morning after a pretty easy ride. Bit of short single track really -
No spills or anything. Groin pain and burning subsided but then got pain in perineum and buttocks/upper back of thighs about 2 weeks
later.

Had MRI's and a block to my back to see if that was causing it - No difference was had and MRI was clear (couple of worn disks but
nothing major) This has pretty much kept me off my bike for a year but i have recently noticed a pattern.

My main pain and all the numbness comes from the left side of the groin - Pretty much where the top of the thigh meets the pelvis at
the front. If i sit on the ground and bring my left knee up so that the hip is bent i feel some 'thickness' in the area that the leg
joins the pelvis. If i hold it there for about 5 to 10 minutes i start to get a loss of sensation in that area. This does not happen
with the right. I'm thinking along the lines of a trapped nerve perhaps? Has anyone had a nerve trapped here and if so whats good to
try and release it PT wise? The only peddling i have done recently was on a family holiday on a pedalo!! ha ha and this again gave
me discomfort in that area.

Any thoughts appreciated as i wanna ride again and the docs so far are being a bit useless!!

thanks

Old August 27th 04, 11:24 AM
Kevin Stone

"Tom" wrote:

Hi - Had this problem about a year now and not any closer to finding
a solution

Very similar to my Dad (aged 57). He had very severe pain which could not be
identified and was put down to a possible trapped nerve (which is a
misnomer, as the nerve isn't at all trapped).

He simply rested, took anti-inflammatoies and pain-killers, and stopped bus
driving (gone into admin) and 6 months later he is better, but not fully
cured.

I would imagine eating healthy and gentle exercise will help your body to
gently recover. So I don't think I'd cycle for a while. Perhaps some pyhsio
on the area to help the muscles.

--
Kev

Old August 27th 04, 11:39 AM
Tom

: Hi - Had this problem about a year now and not any closer to finding
a solution

Very similar to my Dad (aged 57). He had very severe pain which could not be
identified and was put down to a possible trapped nerve (which is a
misnomer, as the nerve isn't at all trapped).

He simply rested, took anti-inflammatoies and pain-killers, and stopped bus
driving (gone into admin) and 6 months later he is better, but not fully
cured.

I would imagine eating healthy and gentle exercise will help your body to
gently recover. So I don't think I'd cycle for a while. Perhaps some pyhsio
on the area to help the muscles.

Hi - thanks for the reply - I have wondered wether it is in some way muscle / nerve related. I think that perhaps my groin and
pelvic muscles are perhaps tight and so any other form of pressure on the area puts excessive pressure on the nerves in the area.

I have tried stretching but am really going to try harder - Stretching actually makes it worse the following day but i hope this is
actually a good side. Not been able to cycle for a year really which is not fun but have decided to start to swim as much as
possible to try and loosen anything up.

I have a good diet and am not overweight ir anything like that, although i do work in IT and i don't think sitting in front of a
computer helps things.

thanks

Old August 27th 04, 11:48 AM
Kevin Stone

"Tom" wrote:

i do work in IT and i don't think sitting in front of a

computer helps things.

Make sure you walk for about 5 minutes in each hour - AFAIK you are entitled
to this. I used to be in IT and I made sure my bods took breaks.

--
Kev

Old August 27th 04, 12:21 PM
Tom

Make sure you walk for about 5 minutes in each hour - AFAIK you are entitled
to this. I used to be in IT and I made sure my bods took breaks.

Yeah i do for sure - I perhaps only sit for 4 or 5 hours in the work day however my frame, pretty muscular but about zero body fat,
does not help to combat compression type problems.

Ayone know any good excersises to build up butt / back thigh muscles?