Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

Old January 17th 21, 05:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings off flies

On 1/16/2021 4:54 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, January 15, 2021 at 5:21:00 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 06:11:04 +0700, John B.
wrote:
https://patternsofevidence.com/2019/...irst-alphabet/
"the first Hebrew writing is called “Old Hebrew” or “Paleo-Hebrew.”
This is known from inscriptions found from about 900 BC in the
kingdoms of Israel and Judah until the destruction of the Temple in
Jerusalem and the exile of many of Judah’s inhabitants to Babylon
around 586 BC."

More on Old Hebrew:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleo-Hebrew_alphabet
Compare the Old Hebrew characters with the Hebrew characters in the
right hand column. A few a close, but most are very different.

Aramaic is the base alphabet for most of the middle eastern languages.
Notice on the chart that the Imperial Aramaic and Hebrew characters
are fairly similar:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aramaic_alphabet#Letters

So, why are some characters radically different while others seem to
copied from older character sets? What happened is that the spoken
languages are not necessarily written in the written language of the
same name. Sometimes, the spoken language for a region is a common
language, such as Aramaic was in biblical times. Everyone spoke
Aramaic, but wrote it in a variety of character sets. Sometimes,
either or both the language and character set is specific to the
region, trade, politics, status, etc.

For example, the Emperor of Japan during WWII had a very different
spoke language than what was spoken by the common people. That was to
isolate the Emperor from the common people. That worked well until
the Emperor Hirohito had to give his famous "Bear the Unbearable"
speech near the end of WWII. It went out over loudspeakers and radio
to all over Japan. Nobody could understand what he was saying, so it
had to be repeated by someone else in the language of the common
people.

This kind to stratification was very common in biblical times. The
priesthood had their own language and character set. The various
merchants all spoke Aramaic, but used the written language familiar to
those with whom they were trading.

Something similar happened with the decoding of the Rosetta Stone. It
was the same proclamation written in Egyptian hieroglyphs, Coptic, and
Greek. Greek and Coptic could be read, but not the hieroglyphics.
What Champollion determined was that hieroglyphs could be read just
like Latin characters, where each symbol represents a sound in spoken
Egyptian. By substituting the similar Coptic equivalents for the
hieroglyphs, Egyptian could be read.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosetta_Stone#Reading_the_Rosetta_Stone

If you go to Hawaii, they say Hawaiian place names in the native
Hawaiian spoken language, but since there wasn't a written language,
they just borrowed the Latin characters and pronunciation. Same thing
in biblical times. Language and characters were fairly independent.

Modern Hebrew is also quite different from biblical Hebrew. When the
Zionist movement setup the framework for what was eventually to become
Israel, they had a problem with the language. Hebrew was the language
of the bible and was not easily converted to something that could be
used for everyday commerce. For example, it has very few technical
terms. In an effort to find a quick fix, Theodor Hertzl wanted to use
Yiddish, which is mediaeval German, as the official language of
Israel. Yiddish uses the written Hebrew alphabet, but is spoken in
German. It's much like Polish and Russian are fairly similar spoken
languages, but Polish is written using Latin characters, while Russian
uses Cyrillic (Greek) characters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB5MtF70xe8

Anyway, I hope this helps disconnect spoken and written languages.

My mother's name was Herz which is nothing more than one of the many spelling variations of Hertz, Hertzl , Herzle etc. which was the Austrian Royal Family. What isn't a matter of discussion is that Moses spoke Aramaic even if he could understand Hebrew. He also spoke and understood middle Egyptian and Median. Moses received not just the Ten Commandments but the Torah or "law" We have that until today. The Talmud is a scholarly interpretation of the Torah and the prophesies of Moses.

So was her name Herz or Habsburg?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 17th 21, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 16 Jan 2021 14:54:51 -0800 (PST), Tom Kunich
wrote:

My mother's name was Herz which is nothing more than one of the many
spelling variations of Hertz, Hertzl , Herzle etc. which was the
Austrian Royal Family.

The name variations seem to be correct,
https://www.houseofnames.com/herz-family-crest
but I couldn't find any connection with Austria:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austrian_nobility
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_untitled_nobility_of_Austria-Hungary
For nobility, Herz seems to be more German than Austrian. However,
there are people and companies in Austria with the name Herz:
https://www.google.com/search?q=herz+austria
https://herz-armaturen.at/page.php?cID=12&lng=eng

What isn't a matter of discussion is that Moses spoke Aramaic
even if he could understand Hebrew. He also spoke and understood
middle Egyptian and Median.

Ok, I won't discuss it, even though there are errors. Please let me
know when it becomes an acceptable topic of discussion.

Moses received not just the Ten Commandments but the Torah
or "law"

Nope. Moses is commonly shown carrying two tablets containing a total
of 10 commandments down the mountain. In reality, there were quite a
few more laws:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_given_to_Moses_at_Sinai
By about 300 AD, the initial collection expanded 613 commandments:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/613_commandments
and eventually expanded into the Talmud. The Talmud was mostly
inscribed while the entire Jewish population was vacationing in
Babylonia, by scholars who thought it might be a good idea to inscribe
the oral history and update the laws before everyone assimilated into
Babylonian culture. To do this, the Talmud had to be written in a
script and language that was generally understandable. So, they used
Hebrew characters to represent Aramaic words:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Babylonian_Aramaic

We have that until today.

Does that mean we no longer have all that today? What happened today
to make it all disappear?

The Talmud is a scholarly interpretation of the Torah and
the prophesies of Moses.

It does that, but also includes all kinds of strange stuff. Here's a
typical page from the Talmud:
https://people.ucalgary.ca/~elsegal/TalmudPage.html
The section in the middle is the original text from the Torah. The
sections surrounding the original text is rabbinical commentary and
margin notes. Drag the mouse around the page and a rectangular box
will appear with a suitable description. Click and a page will appear
expounding on its history and purpose in excruciating detail.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old January 17th 21, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
https://patternsofevidence.com/2019/...irst-alphabet/
"the first Hebrew writing is called “Old Hebrew†or “Paleo-Hebrew.â€
[...]

I certainly didn't pull that out of my hat, or from some vague family rumor: that was discovered on an internet search trying to discover something about my grandfather whom the only thing I know about is a picture of him bouncing me on his knee when I was a baby. I considered it comical since there are no Royal Families accepted in this country but the English house. I don't think that Habsburg was a name but a place in Switzerland and the name was something like John of Habsburg or the like. I think I gave the source at the time I discovered it. I can't find any reference at this time. Perhaps it was more Ancestry.com bull****. They would have a great deal of trouble tracing my heritage because so many people entered this country illegally. In the late 1800's you had to enter through the Port of New York, the Port of Seattle and the Port of San Francisco where you could register as an immigrant and file for citizenship. Since most people entered from elsewhere they had to file at these places for citizenship and if you were illiterate you bypassed that. Inasmuch as your children were automatically citizens and there was no such thing as ICE in those days it really didn't much matter.
Old January 17th 21, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
[...]

The Habsburgs came down out of CH in about 1000 and ruled
Austria for the next almost millenium including quite an
extensive greater Austrian Empire for the latter few
centuries. This is news?

Any family resemblance to this woman?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7f/9d...bf53db1b07.jpg

Old January 17th 21, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

Except for being blonde and never wearing a corset, yes, but that doesn't mean a thing.
Old January 17th 21, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 13:15:07 +0100, Tosspot wrote:

On 17/01/2021 09:57, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 09:04:23 +0100, Tosspot
wrote:

On 17/01/2021 01:39, Ralph Barone wrote:

snip

If humanity is the pinnacle of all of Gods creations, it casts
serious doubt on the concept of a perfect, infallible God.

Octopuses, anyone that can come up with octopuses gets my vote for
Supreme Being. Anyone that came up with spoonbills needs serious
help, and jellyfish inventors can suffer the nth circle of Tommie's
Fantasies.

Well, I read that spoon billed birds exist on every continent,
except for Antarctica so they must be considered as at least
marginally efficient :-)

Have you seen the courtship ritual?! You get a stick, wander up to the
nearest female, and give it a bit of;

"Oeer Missus! Nice stick see! Fancy a bit of how's your father?"

Well, as I said, Spoonbills are found on every continent except for
Antarctica so whatever their romantic activities are it apparently is
working.

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/R3CWDA/usa...est-R3CWDA.jpg

It's a miracle they aren't extinct!

As the saying goes "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and
apparently a stick is a beautiful thing... to a spoonbill.

I don't know where you are posting from but remember you are a member
of the species that in some countries condone a male marrying a
male.... obviously a plan that is somewhat less effective in
prolonging the species than the spoonbill's stick.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old January 18th 21, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

Default OT Family Research Does Slow Johnny still pull the wings offflies

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 10:49:40 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

[...]

The best place to start finding out your family history is to talk to all
the relatives you can. tape it if you can, because this allows the
conversation to flow with out you stopping to write notes and
interrupting flow of thought

The next place is the official and other records. This art can get a bit
expensive (looked for share cert sites) as you may need all of birth,
marriage and death records for each person. The gold mine can be the
other information recorded and this is where 'church' records can be
helpful.

All my UK antecedents had left by the time official records started and
mostly the "records" were priests reports to the Bishop, but the
occasional surviving priest record book would also include the male
grandfather on children's birth entry. thus enabling that families tree
to be walked back.

You may also need to search shipping records, but these can be very
patchy. I picked up one families emigration from Scotland to Australia,
because the whole family was listed on the passenger list.

Look for multiple sources for everything. The last thing you want to
accept is anything listed at Ancestry. Even the LDS familysearch
site(derived from bishops reports,but also contributed expansions) has
fake records. According to one idiot on geni.com, our family has roots
going back to the Kings of Wessex.

Those family reminiscences I suggested first are the most useful when you
get stumped. especially when they verbatim repeat stuff they have been
told or overheard. These often give clues of where to look when you don't
know where to start, but grain of salt.

As always, YMMV, but I've managed to build family back over ten
generations through 'records', but a BIL only has three as all records
went up in flames in WWII.

Have fun.
Old January 18th 21, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Sunday, January 17, 2021 at 3:13:16 PM UTC-8, News 2021 wrote:
[...]

It never surprises me in the least that you think that a 76 year old man has older living relatives that could tell you your lineage. My older brother cannot even remember the name of our mother's father.
Old January 19th 21, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
News 2021

On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:46:20 -0800, Tom Kunich scribed:

[...]

As always YMMV. If you do not have anyone in the family, then it is a
document trail search. In one line of my ancestors where there is no
possibnle chance of a paper trail, all the 'cousin of the line tell the
same story of where the line came from.