Primary School - no cars, they walk or cycle

Old September 19th 07, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Lane

Default Primary School - no cars, they walk or cycle

I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school. This wasn't in a sleepy rural hollow either - it was in a large
town or city. However, I haven't been able to find the article since. Has
anyone got a link to this? (I do hope I wasn't dreaming!)

--
Geoff
Old September 19th 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bob Johnstone[_2_]

Geoff Lane wrote:
I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school. This wasn't in a sleepy rural hollow either - it was in a large
town or city. However, I haven't been able to find the article since. Has
anyone got a link to this? (I do hope I wasn't dreaming!)

It might be related to this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/learningcurve.shtml

Bob
Old September 19th 07, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Geoff Lane

Bob Johnstone wrote in news:Q25Ii.31785
:

It might be related to this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/learningcurve.shtml

That looks like it - thanks! The school quoted in that piece - New City
Primary School in Newham, East London - fits the bill very well and shows
that it can be done, even at primary school age.

Thanks again,

--
Geoff
Old September 19th 07, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Richard Fairhurst

On Sep 19, 12:11 pm, Geoff Lane wrote:
That looks like it - thanks! The school quoted in that piece - New City
Primary School in Newham, East London - fits the bill very well and shows
that it can be done, even at primary school age.

Sustrans has an excellent programme called 'Bike It' to encourage
cycling to school, principally in urban areas:

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.a...=1102425335218

Richard

Old September 19th 07, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Geoff Lane wrote:

I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school. This wasn't in a sleepy rural hollow either - it was in a large
town or city. However, I haven't been able to find the article since. Has
anyone got a link to this? (I do hope I wasn't dreaming!)

be easyer in a urban place, a rual school's catchment area will cover a
greater distance.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old September 19th 07, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_2_]

Geoff Lane wrote:

I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school.

What about the teachers?
Old September 19th 07, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 17:49:51 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

Geoff Lane wrote:

I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school.

What about the teachers?

Don't you worry yerself, Mr. Nugent. There are still some people there
who, like you, cling to their automothingies.

Old September 20th 07, 12:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_2_]

Marc Brett wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Geoff Lane wrote:

I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school.

What about the teachers?

Don't you worry yerself, Mr. Nugent. There are still some people there
who, like you, cling to their automothingies.

It is teachers, other school staff and term-time parents released from
school-holiday-absence from their jobs who make most of the traffic
difference between term-time and holiday-time. That means that
castigating those involved in the "school run" is almost pointless.
The difference cannot be ironed out, even if some foolish people think
it can be.
Old September 20th 07, 04:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:28:33 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

Marc Brett wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Geoff Lane wrote:

I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school.

What about the teachers?

Don't you worry yerself, Mr. Nugent. There are still some people there
who, like you, cling to their automothingies.

It is teachers, other school staff and term-time parents released from
school-holiday-absence from their jobs who make most of the traffic
difference between term-time and holiday-time.

An interesting assertion. References?

Old September 20th 07, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_2_]

Marc Brett wrote:

JNugent wrote:
Marc Brett wrote:
JNugent wrote:
Geoff Lane wrote:

I thought that I read an article a few days ago about a primary school who
achieved zero cars on the school run and all the children walk or cycle to
school.

What about the teachers?

Don't you worry yerself, Mr. Nugent. There are still some people there
who, like you, cling to their automothingies.

It is teachers, other school staff and term-time parents released from
school-holiday-absence from their jobs who make most of the traffic
difference between term-time and holiday-time.

An interesting assertion. References?

Does it need proof?

Why else would it be that the traffic (in the SE at least) drops
noticeably during school holidays even well outside the "school run"
times? You can feel the difference at 06:45 and at 17:45, not just at
dropping-off and picking-up time.

Can you not see that all those people (as well as parents taking their
children taking to school - by whatever mode) travel in the rush hour
during term-time but do not do so during school holidays and half-term?

Surely your place of work must have several "term-time-only" workers?
I'd have thought most places have them in abundance nowadays. Not all
of them even need be physically taking their children to school, but
at least they aren't going to work.

Primary school debate DeF Australia 1 June 16th 06 03:13 AM
Children too scared to walk or cycle Bryan UK 42 November 22nd 05 09:06 AM
70% of children walk or cycle to school helen s UK 3 November 11th 05 03:53 PM
Where to buy a good bike shelter for my son's primary school? zebra UK 9 January 9th 05 01:20 PM
If ped's are so afraid of 'pavemnet cyclists' why do they walk in cycle paths? Howard UK 35 June 13th 04 07:29 PM