You really couldn't make it up...

Old July 18th 13, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

Default You really couldn't make it up...

On 18/07/13 11:35, JNugent wrote:
On 18/07/2013 02:03, Paul Cummins wrote:
In article ,
(JNugent) wrote:

Police Car...?

OK...

Just for the kids, I'll throw in the word "unlawfully".

I stand by my answer.

So you insist that I will - or anyone - see a police car being driven
along the footway more frequently than we will see a bicycle being
ridden along it, do you?

Just to clarify, I meant Planet Earth, not your obviously-other world.

Well, if it's any help. I saw 4 being driven on a pavement tonight.

Old July 18th 13, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, 18 July 2013 19:51:00 UTC+1, Paul Cummins wrote:

Who to?

That should be "to whom?" unless you want Jim to nick you for grammar.

Old July 18th 13, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pristine Bruise

Squashme wrote:

On Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:48:25 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 17/07/2013 12:53, Pristine Bruise wrote:

John Benn wrote:

"Pristine Bruise" wrote in message

Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 08:29:57 +0100, "Mrcheerful"

wrote:

Bertie Wooster wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 08:12:40 +0100, "Mrcheerful"

wrote:

JNugent wrote:

PW Lee in another newsgroup (and referring to a driver who had been

involved in a traffic accident):

QUOTE:

Why is he not being charged with both failure to stop after the

initial collision and dangerous driving?

He's clearly guilty of both.

ENDQUOTE

How about High Treason as well?

QUOTE:

And there is some evidence that he routinely breaks the law by

driving the wrong way along this one-way street as a shortcut - no

doubt cctv footage could be reviewed to substantiate that.

ENDQUOTE

I'd be all for that being done routinely and significant penalties

being dealt out to offenders.

Anyone care to hazard a submission on what class of vehicular

traffic most often ignores one-way working?

A psycholist told me that stories such as this only make the news

because of their extreme rarity, so the answer is NOT cars.

When was the last time you heard of a cyclist injuring three people

before crashing into a brick wall and a bus?

You are evading the question asked, how unusual.

But you had already answered the question, with, what I can only

assume, is something you can support with data.

Anyway, why should anyone want to equally compare breaking the law in

this way when it is considered a far greater crime to motor, rather

than cycle, the wrong way through a one-way system?

If you kill someone while on a bicycle, the law will treat you in exactly

the same way as if you were driving a car or lorry.

Exactly as it should be, but the potential to kill someone is less

when cycling than driving.

In that case, the cyclist should be punished more severely, since he

cannot so easily plead that it was just one of those things.

IOW, he's more likely to have been trying to do it, or at least to have

been far more reckless as to whether or not it happened.

Wrong. The motorist should be punished more severely because, knowing
that his vehicle was far more likely to kill, he still drove recklessly, with
full awareness that, in the event of an "accident", he would be well
protected by his chosen vehicle but his victim might not have that
advantage. Sadly motorists think that, because they have bought an
advantage over others, their privilege should extend to an immunity from
the foreseeable negative consequences of this advantage.

Motorists seem to think that the bull and the china shop can be equally to
blame, and indeed wish to blame the china more for its negligent fragility,
and the shop for being sited where a bull might wish to travel.

I think that is a particularly well worded post - even if my view is
partisan (although I am still both a motorist and cyclist... not at
the same time, haha).

In fairness, it could be pointed out that your post is a
generalisation against motorists but, in this group, that hardly
matters as here (generally) all cyclists are painted as 'psycholists'.

--
Alexis
Old July 19th 13, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

(JNugent) wrote:

Police Car...?

OK...

Just for the kids, I'll throw in the word "unlawfully".

I stand by my answer.

So you insist that I will - or anyone - see a police car being driven
along the footway more frequently than we will see a bicycle being
ridden along it, do you?

Just to clarify, I meant Planet Earth, not your obviously-other world.

Well, if it's any help. I saw 4 being driven on a pavement tonight.

I have driven my car on the footway several times today.

Cars being illegally driven onto, and parked, on the footway by
criminals is a chronic problem in parts of London.
http://goo.gl/maps/HKNEy

Clare, who works in Central London says that cyclists on the footway
is a chronic problem also. However, I have scoured Google Streetview
on the area around Kingsway, where Clare works, but have not found one
example to show you. I did find this, where cyclists are actively
encouraged to ride on the footway:
http://goo.gl/maps/oDsyV

Not a problem.

And you're just being silly, aren't you?

Old July 19th 13, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

(JNugent) wrote:

[...]

The minor detail of the time of day that streetview pictures are taken would
seriously alter the number and location of all types of vehicles. to get a
more accurate idea try looking at live camera feeds at the sort of time that
Clare notices the problem.

You couldn't make it up! Squashme UK 44 January 15th 13 05:38 PM
You couldn't make it up! Squashme UK 13 August 27th 11 10:29 AM
You couldn't make it up Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 0 August 15th 11 01:04 PM
You couldn't make it up! Brian Robertson UK 274 May 18th 09 12:54 AM
You Couldn't Make it Up Sam Salt UK 4 October 14th 05 09:35 PM