Registration question

Old July 8th 13, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod

Default Registration question

Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed in
this group before?

Old July 8th 13, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Bod" wrote in message
Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed in
this group before?

Yes and most contributors say that bicycles should be registered.
What is your opinion?????????

Old July 8th 13, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Mon, 08 Jul 2013 17:36:16 +0100
Bod wrote:

Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed
in this group before?

Yes, the example of a Swiss scheme (which ISTR included insurance) was
discussed, and it was decided that just as the Swiss scheme had been
dropped, there was really no need for such a scheme in the UK.
Bicycles just don't cause enough harm to justify such a scheme as a
means of control, and that's even before you consider the substantial
health benefits, environmental benefits etc. of cycling.

Old July 8th 13, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Bod wrote:

Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed
in this group before?

Yes, the example of a Swiss scheme (which ISTR included insurance) was
discussed, and it was decided that just as the Swiss scheme had been
dropped, there was really no need for such a scheme in the UK.
Bicycles just don't cause enough harm to justify such a scheme as a
means of control, and that's even before you consider the substantial
health benefits, environmental benefits etc. of cycling.

Yet it could reduce crime and increase government income from fines, not to
mention giving some compensation to those injured by cyclists and the
victims of cyclists' temper tantrums.

Old July 8th 13, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod

On 08/07/2013 17:41, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Bod" wrote in message
Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed in
this group before?

Yes and most contributors say that bicycles should be registered.
What is your opinion?????????

You know what my opinion is. We've just been discussing it with emails
to each other.
For the benefit of this group, I personally think it would be totally
unworkable. The police force can't keep up with crime as it is.
Old July 8th 13, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Bod" wrote in message
Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed in
this group before?

Yes and most contributors say that bicycles should be registered.
What is your opinion?????????

You know what my opinion is. We've just been discussing it with emails
to each other.
For the benefit of this group, I personally think it would be totally
unworkable. The police force can't keep up with crime as it is.

WOW. You have voiced an opinion!

Old July 8th 13, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bod

"Bod" wrote in message
Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed in
this group before?

Yes and most contributors say that bicycles should be registered.
What is your opinion?????????

You know what my opinion is. We've just been discussing it with emails
to each other.
For the benefit of this group, I personally think it would be totally
unworkable. The police force can't keep up with crime as it is.

WOW. You have voiced an opinion!

I only asked if the subject had been raised before. I was guessing that
this subject had probably been hammered to death before.

Old July 8th 13, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Bod wrote:

Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed
in this group before?

Yes, the example of a Swiss scheme (which ISTR included insurance) was
discussed, and it was decided that just as the Swiss scheme had been
dropped, there was really no need for such a scheme in the UK.
Bicycles just don't cause enough harm to justify such a scheme as a
means of control, and that's even before you consider the substantial
health benefits, environmental benefits etc. of cycling.

Who decided?

The 26 Swiss cantons.
Old July 8th 13, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

"Bod" wrote in message
Has the subject of registering bicycles (reg plates) been discussed in
this group before?

Yes and most contributors say that bicycles should be registered.
What is your opinion?????????

You know what my opinion is. We've just been discussing it with emails
to each other.
For the benefit of this group, I personally think it would be totally
unworkable. The police force can't keep up with crime as it is.

WOW. You have voiced an opinion!

I only asked if the subject had been raised before. I was guessing that
this subject had probably been hammered to death before.

Not really hammered to death. With old style technology it was clearly
more trouble than it is worth but with wireless computer technology
becoming dirt cheap it is easy to see how registration could be slipped
in along with the multitude of other benefits a wireless device could
offer. Such a device could communicate with similar devices on other
vehicles providing proximity warnings, signalling intent, evidence in
case of accident etc.

I mean would you be prepared to have a registration device if it also
warned a similar wireless device on a lorry that you were there even if
you were in a blind spot.

I reckon within 10 years a sizeable proportion of cyclists will have
them and they will be mandatory for other vehicles.

Registration Plates Steve Firth UK 265 November 28th 12 11:48 PM
buc registration manic_mark Unicycling 3 May 2nd 06 12:26 AM
BUC Pre-registration joemarshall Unicycling 15 April 15th 06 06:15 PM
Middleman Registration Corvus Corvax Mountain Biking 29 June 3rd 05 01:28 AM
OUI 05 Registration karl Unicycling 8 May 28th 05 07:56 AM