Rode tax

Old August 15th 13, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Bertie Wooster[_2_]

Default Rode tax

Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438
Old August 15th 13, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:16:28 +0100, Bertie Wooster wrote:

Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Yes.
Old August 15th 13, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Mike P[_29_]

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:16:28 +0100, Bertie Wooster wrote:

Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Yes. Much to the annoyance of the usual suspects on u.r.c

--
Mike P
Old August 15th 13, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Judith[_4_]

wrote:

Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

I liked the comment:

Unique amount of pedantry he Cyclists don't pay road tax either... However,
car drivers do pay insurance in case they cause an accident. Cyclists do not.
Motorists do have to have their vehicles registered for use on the road to
provide attribution. Cyclists do not. Car drivers do have to have their
vehicles prepared to a minimum safety standard. Cyclists do not. Motorists do
have to be trained and assessed as qualified to use the roads. Cyclists do not.

Old August 15th 13, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Judith[_4_]

wrote:

Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

A ******** quote:

It can be demonstrated that as individuals cyclists pay more tax overall than
motorists do as individuals.

The problem of course is that no-one *can* actually demonstrate it.
Old August 15th 13, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian Robertson[_10_]

On 15/08/2013 17:16, Bertie Wooster wrote:
Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Ha ha ha ha ha! So the killer petrol heads on here don't even have this
argument to fall back on.

Personally, I now think that a new road tax should be introduced for cars.

Brian. ;-)
Old August 15th 13, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Partac[_10_]

"Bertie Wooster" wrote in message

Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Well, if they're right, isn't it strange that if you wish to keep a taxable
vehicle off the road, you'll need to comply with this:

https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-sta...d-notification

Old August 15th 13, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Andy Watson

wrote:

Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

I liked the comment:

Unique amount of pedantry he Cyclists don't pay road tax either...
However,
car drivers do pay insurance in case they cause an accident. Cyclists do not.
Motorists do have to have their vehicles registered for use on the road to
provide attribution. Cyclists do not. Car drivers do have to have their
vehicles prepared to a minimum safety standard. Cyclists do not. Motorists do
have to be trained and assessed as qualified to use the roads. Cyclists do
not.

The capacity for harm of a bicycle is almost nil, compared to that of a
car.

It's like bitching because pedestrians don't have registration numbers
stitched into the back of their jackets, and mandatory insurance, when
car drivers do.

And why do you post under two different names?
Old August 15th 13, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 19:53:05 +0100, Partac wrote:

Are the BBC right in what they assert about "road tax"?
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

Well, if they're right, isn't it strange that if you wish to keep a
taxable vehicle off the road, you'll need to comply with this:

snip SORN link

No, not really.

As the registered keeper of a motor vehicle, you have some
responsibilities. One of them is to make sure it's taxed if it's on the
road. I don't think it's a big ask to have a once-a-year click-the-box to
say "Yep, it still exists, I've still got it, I'm still at the same
address, and the vehicle's still not on the road."

I seem to manage to have had anything up to six or seven SORNed vehicles
at any one time, and at _least_ one at all times, since SORN was
introduced. Without getting a single fine for not managing. It's not
difficult.
Old August 15th 13, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Brian Robertson[_10_]

On 15/08/2013 20:01, Andy Watson wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Andy, I can't be arsed to check through headers. Can you let me know
what the transvestite's other name is? I have always thought it was a
man. Well... I don't mean a man in the strict sense, but you know what I
mean. If you don't want to post it on here then you can email me:
hartsheadp at aol.com

Rode yesterday 25 miles and today rode 34 miles but now I hear about this news! Randall Kehrt Recumbent Biking 2 August 3rd 09 02:53 PM
Some bikes I rode Nobody Racing 8 July 26th 09 07:36 PM
Ah...Just Rode the Upright Again! NYC XYZ Recumbent Biking 13 June 7th 06 09:33 PM
I just rode the new GT iT1 Dave Mountain Biking 9 January 10th 06 11:26 AM
I bailed but rode anyway GeeDubb Mountain Biking 11 July 14th 05 12:26 PM