Which Ortlieb Pannier

Old November 28th 06, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Which Ortlieb Pannier

I'm buying new panniers. To be used for touring both hostel and
camping. My current setup when hostel touring is two rear panniers plus
a small waistpack for wallet and camera.
I'm thinking about the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic. My only
reservation is that currently when touring I keep my map in a side
pocket of a pannier. As the Back Rollers don't have pockets it might
involve a bit of a fiddle undoing the roll closure any time I wanted to
check the map. So would the Bick Packer Classic with a normal lid
fastening be better.
Or has anyone got any experience with the DHB waterproof panniers
currently on Wiggle for 57 quid.
Iain

Old November 28th 06, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Eilbeck

" writes:

I'm buying new panniers. To be used for touring both hostel and
camping. My current setup when hostel touring is two rear panniers plus
a small waistpack for wallet and camera.
I'm thinking about the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic. My only
reservation is that currently when touring I keep my map in a side
pocket of a pannier. As the Back Rollers don't have pockets it might
involve a bit of a fiddle undoing the roll closure any time I wanted to
check the map. So would the Bick Packer Classic with a normal lid
fastening be better.

I've got the bike packer classics and they seem pretty good to me.
I've not been out in a serious rainstorm as yet but they seemed to be
less hassle to use than the roller ones. Plus there's straps across
the top that you can lash things under too (such as a pair of
non-cycling shoes which was my luxury on a trip through the Mendips
and Somerset levels a while back).

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
Old November 28th 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 28 Nov, Chris Eilbeck wrote:
" writes:

I'm thinking about the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic. My only
reservation is that currently when touring I keep my map in a side
pocket of a pannier. As the Back Rollers don't have pockets it might
involve a bit of a fiddle undoing the roll closure any time I wanted to
check the map. So would the Bick Packer Classic with a normal lid
fastening be better.

I've got the bike packer classics and they seem pretty good to me.
I've not been out in a serious rainstorm as yet but they seemed to be
less hassle to use than the roller ones. Plus there's straps across
the top that you can lash things under too (such as a pair of
non-cycling shoes which was my luxury on a trip through the Mendips
and Somerset levels a while back).

I have a previous model which is closest to the bike packer plus, but
mine have a mesh pocket on the outside without a zip, and additionally
have a little roll-top pocket on the side.

Mine have done year-round daily commute in all weathers for many years
(about 10, I think). They are not quite good-as-new, but they have no
holes and have never let water in, even when I've forded hub-deep
floods. I've never actually submerged them, but they've seen some
serious downpours.

So, if you're concerned that the normal lid closure might not be as
waterproof - unless you plan using them as buoyancy aids, I wouldn't
worry. The lid is easy to work, the side pocket is handy for bits. I
don't think I'd ever bother with a roll-top closure.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old November 29th 06, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

wrote:

I'm thinking about the Ortlieb Back Roller Classic. My only
reservation is that currently when touring I keep my map in a side
pocket of a pannier. As the Back Rollers don't have pockets it might
involve a bit of a fiddle undoing the roll closure any time I wanted to
check the map. So would the Bick Packer Classic with a normal lid
fastening be better.

Well, that depends... I use the rollers, and part of that reason is I
did want them to double as canoe dry bags so clearly I want more
waterproof than you need on a bike, but I find the roll top is actually
just as easy to use as a traditional lid (my Altura Orkneys and previous
Carradice Overlanders give e suitable comparisons) and they overload
much more readily and gracefully.

The rolltops have an extra closure strap across the top and it wouldn't
be much trouble to tuck a map case under that. However, if you're
touring and you've got a waist pack on for camera and wallet, why not
put on a QR bar-bag which has a dedicated map window on the top? Easier
to see the map, easier to get at your camera, and comes off with a click
and is easily carried if you leave the bike. Something like
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=u4plus# since we're on
Ortliebs, but Altura, Carradice etc. do similar things.

My panniers are the lighter "Plus" flavour. They're still very well
made and mine show no signs of wear after 5 years.

Or has anyone got any experience with the DHB waterproof panniers
currently on Wiggle for 57 quid.

I haven't, and while I'm not saying they're not as good as Ortliebs (I
can't, I haven't experience with them!), I've no hesitation in
recommending Ortliebs as the best overall combination of design and
implementation cluefullness I've yet come across.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old November 29th 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter Clinch wrote:

However, if you're
touring and you've got a waist pack on for camera and wallet, why not
put on a QR bar-bag which has a dedicated map window on the top? Easier
to see the map, easier to get at your camera, and comes off with a click
and is easily carried if you leave the bike. Something like
http://www.ortlieb.de/_prod.php?lang=en&produkt=u4plus# since we're on
Ortliebs, but Altura, Carradice etc. do similar things.

Yes I think a bar bag is the way to go.

I'm going to go for conventional closures rather than the rolltops.
Comments seem to be that in normal use the waterproofing is fine on the
Bike Packers. I have tried a rolltops (not Ortliebs) in my LBS but
found them a bit fiddly.

Anyway thanks for all opinions .

Iain

Old December 4th 06, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter Clinch wrote:
As long as they're not submerged or left open with the lids turned back,
they'll be waterproof. Most panniers leak through seam stitching, but
Ortliebs have welded seams so there are no holes for water to get
through and no thread for water to wick along.

Thanks for all replies. I've ordered the Bike Packers.
My query regarding their waterproofing was more whether the lid
design allowed a certain amount of water in from spray being driven
under the lid. From all comments that's no problem.
Iain

Ortlieb response Jo UK 0 May 22nd 06 09:03 AM
Ortlieb Jo UK 5 May 21st 06 10:12 PM
Ortlieb happiness SuzieB Australia 17 January 5th 06 09:47 AM
Ortlieb Ultimate 3 RC Bar Bag - S 4.5 Litre dannyfrankszzz UK 2 November 17th 05 03:43 PM
Ortlieb Pannier Pockets Richard Bates UK 2 April 5th 04 12:11 PM