Where are they all?

Old December 8th 06, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom

Default Where are they all?

According to a survey on exercise, there are 3.2 million "recreational"
cyclists in the UK.
(4th most popular form of exercise, ahead of football but behind walking,
swimming and the gym)
That's about 5% of the population.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6220358.stm

Where are all these cyclists? I see the same few dozen every week.

Tom

--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://www.happy-penguin.info/address.jpg

Old December 8th 06, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

Tom wrote:
According to a survey on exercise, there are 3.2 million "recreational"
cyclists in the UK.
(4th most popular form of exercise, ahead of football but behind walking,
swimming and the gym)
That's about 5% of the population.

Where are all these cyclists? I see the same few dozen every week.

On easy lanes half a dozen times a year on their summer holidays. I
suspect quite a lot of the 3.2 million gym "users" go for a couple of
times in January and then... don't go much more.

My hobbies list has me as a climber. Got out once this year, not at all
the year before, so I'm just as bad!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old December 8th 06, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tom wrote:

Where are all these cyclists? I see the same few dozen every week.

My guess would be that the figure quoted is derived from surveys asking
the wrong questions.

"Do you own a cycle?" or "Are you a regular cyclist?" would get
different answers from for example "Do you cycle on average more than
once a week?"

Then again when answering surveys people lie. Alcohol consumption,
cigarette consumption, and tory voting are all usually underestimated
by surveys as they are perceived by some to be unpopular unhealthy
vices Well two out of three anyway (your choice).
Iain

Old December 8th 06, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sandy Morton

In article ,
Tom wrote:
Where are all these cyclists? I see the same few dozen every week.

Try Millport in the summer - about 1,000 a day if the weather is good.

But they are on their annual cycle run :-)

Old December 8th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Sandy Morton wrote on 08/12/2006 13:00 +0100:
In article ,
Tom wrote:
Where are all these cyclists? I see the same few dozen every week.

Try Millport in the summer - about 1,000 a day if the weather is good.

But they are on their annual cycle run :-)

Perhaps if you told them they are supposed to ride the cycles, not run
with them ;-)

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old December 8th 06, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6220358.stm

Where are all these cyclists? I see the same few dozen every week.

They never existed?:

http://www.citycycling.co.uk/issue18/issue18page22.html
Old December 8th 06, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Russell Fulker

Tom wrote:

Where are all these cyclists? I see the same few dozen every week.

That'll be partly my fault. A few days after getting back from my LEJOG
effort I took a phone call from someone doing a survey. They asked me
how much exercise I'd undertaken in the past month. I gave an honest,
if unrepresentative, answer. :-)

Old December 8th 06, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

That'll be partly my fault. A few days after getting back from my LEJOG
effort I took a phone call from someone doing a survey. They asked me
how much exercise I'd undertaken in the past month. I gave an honest,
if unrepresentative, answer. :-)

Heh, I got a similar (possibly the same) survey, and rattled of a list of
activities that ran to nine items: cycling, running, walking, fencing,
badminton, ultimate, football, swimming and circuit training.

The secret of surviving that lot is to replace lost calories as quickly as
possible; we need 2500 a day so they must be important! Proper cyclists
know that consuming calories in a liquid form gives a faster rate of
absorption.