Wheels- Hope they will be OK...

Old April 29th 05, 05:50 PM
Tony B

Default Wheels- Hope they will be OK...

I've ordered some new wheels for my Dawes Audax; the OE MA3's with plain
spokes are needing FAR too much fettling after the last four months
commuting abuse so I've ordered some 105 hubs/butted ss spokes/36h open
pro rims off Deeside Cycles. £122 the pair, which i think is reasonable?

I am hoping (expecting!) they will be strong and durable, and remove the
need for getting the spoke key out every weekend. I'm also hoping the
horrid creaking noises will reduce dramatically, and that the braking
will be smooth again rather than juddering the whole plot to a standstill.

Am I destined for disappointment then or what?

bfn,

Tony B

Old April 29th 05, 06:58 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Tony B
') wrote:

I've ordered some new wheels for my Dawes Audax; the OE MA3's with
plain spokes are needing FAR too much fettling after the last four
months commuting abuse so I've ordered some 105 hubs/butted ss
spokes/36h open pro rims off Deeside Cycles. £122 the pair, which i
think is reasonable?

I am hoping (expecting!) they will be strong and durable, and remove
the need for getting the spoke key out every weekend. I'm also hoping
the horrid creaking noises will reduce dramatically, and that the
braking will be smooth again rather than juddering the whole plot to a
standstill.

Am I destined for disappointment then or what?

Shouldn't think so. New wheels hand built of decent components should be
reliable and last a long time.

Old April 29th 05, 08:21 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Tony B wrote:

I've ordered some new wheels for my Dawes Audax; the OE MA3's with plain
spokes are needing FAR too much fettling after the last four months
commuting abuse so I've ordered some 105 hubs/butted ss spokes/36h open
pro rims off Deeside Cycles. £122 the pair, which i think is reasonable?

I am hoping (expecting!) they will be strong and durable, and remove the
need for getting the spoke key out every weekend. I'm also hoping the
horrid creaking noises will reduce dramatically, and that the braking
will be smooth again rather than juddering the whole plot to a standstill.

Am I destined for disappointment then or what?

Open Pros are pretty light for commuting. CXP33s might have been a
better choice, if you like Mavic. Anyway, it depends more on the
builder than the rim.
Old April 29th 05, 09:13 PM
Tony B

Open Pros are pretty light for commuting. CXP33s might have been a
better choice, if you like Mavic. Anyway, it depends more on the
builder than the rim.

That's interesting comment; I was offered Open Pro's at Bicycle Doctor,
so in my ignorance I though they'd be just the job. I had a look at
Mavic's site hoping for some guidance but there seems to be none!

I'll call Deeside tomorrow and consult, it's not too late to change -
they won't be getting built up until after the holiday.

As for liking Mavic, I have nothing to base an opinion on either way!
Hence me hoping they'll be right for me.

cheers,

Tony B

Old April 29th 05, 10:49 PM
MSeries

Tony B wrote:
Open Pros are pretty light for commuting. CXP33s might have been a
better choice, if you like Mavic. Anyway, it depends more on the
builder than the rim.

That's interesting comment; I was offered Open Pro's at Bicycle Doctor,
so in my ignorance I though they'd be just the job. I had a look at
Mavic's site hoping for some guidance but there seems to be none!

I'll call Deeside tomorrow and consult, it's not too late to change -
they won't be getting built up until after the holiday.

As for liking Mavic, I have nothing to base an opinion on either way!
Hence me hoping they'll be right for me.

cheers,

Tony B

Apart from my MTB which you know about, I got my first non Mavic rim
this week. I got a DRC ST19 built with a SON 28 hub at Woodrups here in
Leeds, 14g spokes. After 30 miles its just fine.
Old April 30th 05, 02:57 AM
Peter Headland

I've ordered some new wheels for my Dawes Audax; the OE MA3's with
plain
spokes are needing FAR too much fettling after the last four months
commuting abuse

It would have been cheaper just to have the OE wheels brought up to the
proper tension (or done it yourself), after which they would have
stayed true indefinitely.

99% of people who think wheels go out of true and need retruing all the
time have never had properly built wheels.

--
Peter Headland

Old April 30th 05, 06:50 AM
Tony B

Peter Headland wrote:

99% of people who think wheels go out of true and need retruing all the
time have never had properly built wheels.

I appreciate that, but I had a big pothole incident a while back and
decided I'd buy a new rear if and when it kept being a PIA truing it. I
now think that time has come; the rear is now continually bent despite
my best efforts to keep it on the straight and narrow. I suppose I could
have bought a rear on it's own. Then again, new wheels are nice!
Old April 30th 05, 06:56 AM
Tony B

Apart from my MTB which you know about, I got my first non Mavic rim
this week. I got a DRC ST19 built with a SON 28 hub at Woodrups here in
Leeds, 14g spokes. After 30 miles its just fine.

Withington Cycles offered me DRC rims, the ST19's to be excact! I was
put off a bit by their hub prices (and lack of actual
here's-what-you'll-be-paying price) despite calling the shop. I was
directed to their website...

Tony B
Old April 30th 05, 08:43 AM
Zog The Undeniable

Tony B wrote:

That's interesting comment; I was offered Open Pro's at Bicycle Doctor,
so in my ignorance I though they'd be just the job. I had a look at
Mavic's site hoping for some guidance but there seems to be none!

I'll call Deeside tomorrow and consult, it's not too late to change -
they won't be getting built up until after the holiday.

As for liking Mavic, I have nothing to base an opinion on either way!
Hence me hoping they'll be right for me.

CXP33 are a bit heavier (470g each) but the "aero" profile, while not
having any real aerodynamic benefits, is very pothole-resistant. They
look cool too :-)
Old April 30th 05, 02:58 PM
Pete Biggs

Tony B wrote:
Open Pros are pretty light for commuting. CXP33s might have been a
better choice, if you like Mavic. Anyway, it depends more on the
builder than the rim.

That's interesting comment; I was offered Open Pro's at Bicycle
Doctor, so in my ignorance I though they'd be just the job. I had a
look at Mavic's site hoping for some guidance but there seems to be
none!

I'll call Deeside tomorrow and consult, it's not too late to change -
they won't be getting built up until after the holiday.

As for liking Mavic, I have nothing to base an opinion on either way!
Hence me hoping they'll be right for me.

Open Pros are strong enough for everything but potholes that are bad
enough to send you flying over the handlebars. ...Slight exaggeration but
not /that/ slight.

However (to give you more chance with those potholes), I'd recommend A719
or T520 if you using tyres wider than 28mm and don't mind the extra weight
and expense. CXP33's should be nice otherwise but are a bit more pricey
than Open Pros, and a touch heavier.

36 spokes for the rear will be sensible in any case.

~PB