The Clarkson attitude to violence

Old December 5th 09, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Default The Clarkson attitude to violence

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 00:37:54 -0800 (PST), Sir Jeremy
wrote:

The reason Clarkson is taken
"seriously" is because he's the antidote to the sort of anti-car ****
that Chapman peddles on crapmancentral.

Yes, you're right, he's the polar opposite of me: viscerally pro-car
where I use any mode that suits, according to the journey; he's
uncaring about the planet; he is unashamedly uncultured; and of course
he's never been known to study evidence.

I find Top Gear entertaining to watch but have never mistaken it for
factual programming, the problem comes when people like the
Provisional ABD take it seriously.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc
GPG public key at http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old December 5th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

wrote:
The reason Clarkson is taken
"seriously" is because he's the antidote to the sort of anti-car ****
that Chapman peddles on crapmancentral.

Yes, you're right, he's the polar opposite of me: viscerally pro-car
where I use any mode that suits, according to the journey; he's
uncaring about the planet; he is unashamedly uncultured; and of course
he's never been known to study evidence. *

Clarkson's a national figure though, and you're a smug keyboard
warrior who exhibits a thin veneer of culture and a superficial grasp
of evidence gleaned soley from reading the Guardian
Old December 5th 09, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther

wrote:
The reason Clarkson is taken
"seriously" is because he's the antidote to the sort of anti-car ****
that Chapman peddles on crapmancentral.

Yes, you're right, he's the polar opposite of me: viscerally pro-car
where I use any mode that suits, according to the journey; he's
uncaring about the planet; he is unashamedly uncultured; and of course
he's never been known to study evidence.

Clarkson's a national figure though, and you're a smug keyboard
warrior who exhibits a thin veneer of culture and a superficial grasp
of evidence gleaned soley from reading the Guardian

Spot on!

You have Chapman summed up in a very short assesment. I only wish I could
have done it so well!

--
From
Trevor A Panther

Old December 5th 09, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:36:25 -0000, "Trevor A Panther"
wrote:

Clarkson's a national figure though, and you're a smug keyboard
warrior who exhibits a thin veneer of culture and a superficial grasp
of evidence gleaned soley from reading the Guardian

Perhaps the veneer of culture is deeper than you think - I can sing
quite well in at least seven languages, including Schubert lieder,
which demands a certain degree of sensitivity. Perhaps you've never
met me and are basing your opinion on the tail-end of some rather
acrimonious disputes. No matter, the people who know me and make a
difference to my life don't seem to have your problem understanding my
motivations. I base my opinion of you mainly on the fact that Dave
Larrington appears to consider you worth giving the time of day, which
is good enough for me (if he didn't, I'd simply have killfiled you
ages ago).

Oh, and I never read the Guardian. My grasp of evidence usually
comes, as the urc regulars probably mostly know, from obtaining and
reading the evidence itself (one of the resident trolls made the
mistake of accusing me of not having a copy of the evidence once, it
backfired rather badly). This is, of course, something that only the
terminally nerdy would do, but I have never been ashamed of being a
nerd.

I think the last book I read related to road safety was Tom
Vanderbilt's /Traffic/, though I found it a bit less meaty than I'd
hoped.

Right now I'm studying Margaret 'Espinasse's book on Robert Hooke,
which I am very pleased to have found as I have her old copy of
Gunther's Early Science in Oxford with her margin notes. I say right
now, actually right now I'm in the games room working on my railway
layout. Perhaps I'm not such a monomaniac as you think, eh?

Guy
Old December 6th 09, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Trevor A Panther

wrote:
The reason Clarkson is taken
"seriously" is because he's the antidote to the sort of anti-car ****
that Chapman peddles on crapmancentral.

Yes, you're right, he's the polar opposite of me: viscerally pro-car
where I use any mode that suits, according to the journey; he's
uncaring about the planet; he is unashamedly uncultured; and of course
he's never been known to study evidence.

Clarkson's a national figure though, and you're a smug keyboard
warrior who exhibits a thin veneer of culture and a superficial grasp
of evidence gleaned soley from reading the Guardian

I never see Mr Chapman in person in posts since he has for many years now
been a permanent occupant of my sin bin.( he was let out on parole about 3
months ago but it only last a couple of days)

I find that his proclivity for Latin phrases only illustrates the "veneer of
culture"

Perhaps it is a matter of "satis superque" in his case. He certainly
exhibits "studium immane loquendi"

Perhaps he should remember to exhibit "modus omnibus in rebus et ne quid
nimis" but I suspect that he would find that impossible.

But making quotes in Latin is more than pointless and not my normal style.
It smacks of being overtly pretentious. It is so very easy to be pretentious
as this very post illustrates

I would actually prefer to refer him to Alexander Pope's "An Essay on
Criticism" (1709) in its entirety. However it might be sufficient here
merely to use the well known proverb :-

""A little learning is a dangerous thing;
drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:
their shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
and drinking largely sobers us again."

and

"True ease in writing comes from art, not chance,
As those move easiest who have learned to dance"

I confess that far too many moons have travelled the heavens since I passed
my A level Latin but I actually consider myself to be very fortunate in
having done so. I certainly do not normally try and show how erudite am I by
spouting off well known latin proverbs -- "ad hominem". But I have always
found that my years of Latin study, now long forgoten in detail, have left
me with an immensely useful ability to be able to assimilate latin
influenced languages.very quickly.

Old December 6th 09, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 09:16:57 -0000, "Trevor A Panther"
wrote:

But making quotes in Latin is more than pointless and not my normal style.
It smacks of being overtly pretentious. It is so very easy to be pretentious
as this very post illustrates

And ability to write in classical languages is far from being the only
indicator of culture. See you at the Wigmore Hall, Mr. Panther.

Guy
Old December 6th 09, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_2_]

"Trevor A Panther" wrote in
:

I confess that far too many moons have travelled the heavens since I
passed my A level Latin but I actually consider myself to be very
fortunate in having done so. I certainly do not normally try and show
how erudite am I by spouting off well known latin proverbs -- "ad
hominem". But I have always found that my years of Latin study, now
long forgoten in detail, have left me with an immensely useful ability
to be able to assimilate latin influenced languages.very quickly.

I never studied Latin at school but you are absolutely right, it can make
understanding many European languages much easier. I think Latin should be
a compulsory subject taught at school.

There is of course no excuse for people like Chapman incessantly spouting
off in Latin.
Old December 6th 09, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
martynh

wrote:
[...]

For some of us of a certain age, Clarkson in Top Gear is irresistibly
reminiscent of Esther Rantzen in "That's Life" many years ago. Rantzen/
Clarkson as pantomime dame queening it over two vaguely camp juvenile
leads; fawning studio audience....... Say what you like about the BBC,
they know a bankable formula when they find one.

And of course both of them are (or were) national figures.

Old December 7th 09, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington[_3_]

In news:20091204224937.93615ca2.m.r.causer@goglemail. com,
Mike Causer tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell
us:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 22:14:28 +0000
"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

Some people think that they are just a bunch of overgrown schoolboys.

Clarkson has previous. In the days when I still bought "Car"
magazine, and before TG was on the idiot-box, he had a column that was
entertaining in the same styleee.

I'm pretty sure it was "Performance Car" JC wrote for in the late 80's.
James May /did/ write a column for "CAR" in the mid-90's.

It worries me that I possess this information.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old December 8th 09, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Mon, 7 Dec 2009 11:48:09 -0000
"Dave Larrington" wrote:

I'm pretty sure it was "Performance Car" JC wrote for in the late 80's.

He may well have done that too, I never bought PC.

It worries me that I possess this information.

Would you be worried if your mug had appeared in Practical Classics and
the sound of you (plus c*r and sound-recordist) nearly leaving the
track [1] featured on the cassette tape attached to the cover?

I'm not ;-) I'm worried the tape won't play any more though.

[1] They cut out my advice given to recordist as we headed for the
boondocks. My superior skill saved the day (for a change...), but
the recordist /must/ have talked to the presenter who later added the
voice-over: he rivaled Muddly Talker for excitement about that lap.

Mike
--
Mike Causer

Jeremy Clarkson attitude to cyclists [email protected] UK 43 September 28th 09 06:50 PM
Clarkson? John Clayton UK 28 March 13th 08 08:02 AM
Clarkson in The Sun again. Simon Mason UK 3 December 29th 05 11:31 AM
J.Clarkson & the law sothach UK 27 October 8th 05 10:37 AM
Clarkson goes off on one. Simon Mason UK 66 May 30th 04 09:00 PM