Frame liners?

Old November 12th 11, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

Default Frame liners?

I'm reading a cycling book published in 1900 (I'm trying to catch up)
by C. L. Freeston, titled, Cycling In The Alps With Some Notes On The
Chief Passes
http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclin...ge/n8/mode/2up

In the appendices he relates a story of a broken frame on a tandem,
how the broken tube revealed that the frame's tubes were thin and did
not have liners, and that this was an egregious mistake. What are
frame liners? I'd guess they were tubes inside the tubes, but in that
case why didn't they just use thicker tubes to start?

He also mentions a Bowman brake that was engaged with a twist of the
wrist, and could be locked to provide constant drag. Have there been
any brakes in recent memory that had/have that feature?

The book has some nice illustrations of the various passes and is a
fun read.

Old November 12th 11, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

RicodJour wrote:
I'm reading a cycling book published in 1900 (I'm trying to catch up)
by C. L. Freeston, titled, Cycling In The Alps With Some Notes On The
Chief Passes
http://www.archive.org/stream/cyclin...ge/n8/mode/2up

In the appendices he relates a story of a broken frame on a tandem,
how the broken tube revealed that the frame's tubes were thin and did
not have liners, and that this was an egregious mistake. What are
frame liners? I'd guess they were tubes inside the tubes, but in that
case why didn't they just use thicker tubes to start?

He also mentions a Bowman brake that was engaged with a twist of the
wrist, and could be locked to provide constant drag. Have there been
any brakes in recent memory that had/have that feature?

The book has some nice illustrations of the various passes and is a
fun read.

I own some cut frame sections from as late as 1960 with a
separate steel liner (artsy, like period lugwork) slipped
inside a plain gauge seamed tube. I assume these were used
in place of butted tube on cheaper models. They are slipped
inside a tube with a brass charge, fitted inside a lug and
furnace brazed. (Or not. One has an unmelted brass ring inside)

I recently replaced two tubes on an 1898 lugged race frame
which had very thin (1.0) seamed mild steel tubes. Such
liners may have helped or prevented the tube kinks when it
crashed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old November 12th 11, 04:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ERSHC

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:01:40 -0800 (PST), RicodJour wrote:

He also mentions a Bowman brake that was engaged with a twist of the
wrist, and could be locked to provide constant drag. Have there been
any brakes in recent memory that had/have that feature?

Drag brakes are not uncommon on tandems. They are usually drums or disks
these days. I had mine rigged through a barcon (bar end shifter), but
you could use probably use a twist-shift.

Can you describe what a "Bowman" brake is and how it works?
Old November 12th 11, 06:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

RicodJour wrote:

He also mentions a Bowman brake that was engaged with a twist of the
wrist, and could be locked to provide constant drag. *Have there been
any brakes in recent memory that had/have that feature?

It's not uncommon to have a third brake on a tandem, a rear drum brake
usually, that is engaged by a friction shifter such that it remains
engaged until shifted back off.

As for tubing liners, I can't offer much insight. Materials and
processes have evolved greatly since those days, and there may have
been some limit on how thick tubing walls could be made in proportion
to their diameters.

In Archibald Sharp's book from about that time, he describes how the
strongest frame steels could not be drawn into tubing, but only rolled
into helical tubes made of strip, and layered with tubes of opposite
chirality.

Chalo
Old November 12th 11, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

On Nov 11, 11:38*pm, AMuzi wrote:

I own some cut frame sections from as late as 1960 with a
separate steel liner (artsy, like period lugwork) slipped
inside a plain gauge seamed tube. I assume these were used
in place of butted tube on cheaper models. They are slipped
inside a tube with a brass charge, fitted inside a lug and
furnace brazed. (Or not. One has an unmelted brass ring inside)

I recently replaced two tubes on an 1898 lugged race frame
which had very thin (1.0) seamed mild steel tubes. Such
liners may have helped or prevented the tube kinks when it
crashed.

Right - got it. A way of butting tubing before tubing was butted.
Probably should have been obvious to me, but I was thinking of
entirely lined frame tubes. Thanks.

Old November 12th 11, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

On Nov 11, 11:54*pm, ERSHC wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:01:40 -0800 (PST), RicodJour wrote:

He also mentions a Bowman brake that was engaged with a twist of the
wrist, and could be locked to provide constant drag. *Have there been
any brakes in recent memory that had/have that feature?

Drag brakes are not uncommon on tandems. They are usually drums or disks
these days. I had mine rigged through a barcon (bar end shifter), but
you could use probably use a twist-shift.

I never thought of that. Tandems aren't on my event horizon and I
have exactly zero experience with them. Was yours set up with
redundant braking? The drum brake and a rim brake? I like the idea
of setting a brake like a drag chute.

Can you describe what a "Bowman" brake is and how it works?

No, I can't, sorry. It was just mentioned in the appendix on
equipment. There wasn't any further information, so I asked here.

Old November 12th 11, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ERSHC

On Sat, 12 Nov 2011 10:21:35 -0800 (PST), RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 11, 11:54Â*pm, ERSHC wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:01:40 -0800 (PST), RicodJour wrote:

He also mentions a Bowman brake that was engaged with a twist of the
wrist, and could be locked to provide constant drag. Â*Have there been
any brakes in recent memory that had/have that feature?

Drag brakes are not uncommon on tandems. They are usually drums or disks
these days. I had mine rigged through a barcon (bar end shifter), but
you could use probably use a twist-shift.

I never thought of that. Tandems aren't on my event horizon and I
have exactly zero experience with them. Was yours set up with
redundant braking? The drum brake and a rim brake? I like the idea
of setting a brake like a drag chute.

Yes, a drum (for the drag) and two rim brakes (front and rear) actuated
with standard levers. The drum is used for speed control on long decents.
The drum did get hot, but that is much better than a rim getting hot
and melting the rubber brake shoes or the tire.

Can you describe what a "Bowman" brake is and how it works?

No, I can't, sorry. It was just mentioned in the appendix on
equipment. There wasn't any further information, so I asked here.

I wonder if this is a misprint for "Bowden", although that is just
the cable setup.

Old November 12th 11, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 11, 11:54 pm, ERSHC wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 20:01:40 -0800 (PST), RicodJour wrote:

He also mentions a Bowman brake that was engaged with a twist of the
wrist, and could be locked to provide constant drag. Have there been
any brakes in recent memory that had/have that feature?

Drag brakes are not uncommon on tandems. They are usually drums or disks
these days. I had mine rigged through a barcon (bar end shifter), but
you could use probably use a twist-shift.

I never thought of that. Tandems aren't on my event horizon and I
have exactly zero experience with them. Was yours set up with
redundant braking? The drum brake and a rim brake? I like the idea
of setting a brake like a drag chute.

Can you describe what a "Bowman" brake is and how it works?

No, I can't, sorry. It was just mentioned in the appendix on
equipment. There wasn't any further information, so I asked here.

I thought it may have been a garbled version of a Bowden
cable brake but then I found this cryptic item:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5129550

Although for 'all class weird' there's a Bowman perpetual
motion device as well:
http://www.fdp.nu/bm-movie/default.html

none of which helps with your inquiry

Old November 12th 11, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RicodJour[_2_]

On Nov 12, 2:13 pm, AMuzi wrote:

I thought it may have been a garbled version of a Bowden
cable brake but then I found this cryptic item:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5129550

Although for 'all class weird' there's a Bowman perpetual
motion device as well: http://www.fdp.nu/bm-movie/default.html

none of which helps with your inquiry

Eliminating things helps narrow it down. I couldn't find anything on
the brake either. There was one mention of an electric/magnetic
Bowman brake test on a railroad, but that was well after.

Old November 12th 11, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
M-gineering

On 12-11-2011 20:49, RicodJour wrote:
On Nov 12, 2:13 pm, wrote:

I thought it may have been a garbled version of a Bowden
cable brake but then I found this cryptic item:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/5129550

Although for 'all class weird' there's a Bowman perpetual
motion device as well: http://www.fdp.nu/bm-movie/default.html

none of which helps with your inquiry

Eliminating things helps narrow it down. I couldn't find anything on
the brake either. There was one mention of an electric/magnetic
Bowman brake test on a railroad, but that was well after.

A great find, thanks for posting.

( but all I could find in the 'purely mechanical' chapter were
references to Bowden brakes! )
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl

Tire liners Andy Techniques 40 February 1st 11 04:34 AM
Question about tire liners Ken C. M. Techniques 11 April 11th 06 06:41 PM
Tire liners vs slime Techniques 16 February 22nd 06 03:20 AM
Road Tire Liners ? Magnusfarce Techniques 17 April 18th 05 12:04 AM
Tire Liners? Erin Unicycling 3 February 18th 05 02:35 AM