Labour pledges £50 a head active travel spend to get England cycling

Old December 1st 19, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default Labour pledges £50 a head active travel spend to get England cycling

QUOTE:
"The Labour Party has pledged to spend £50 per head annually on active travel in England if it wins this month’s general election, promising to make it “one the best countries in the world for walking and cycling.”

The pledge far outstrips the £17 per person per year, rising to £34 annually by 2025, called for by campaign groups belonging to the Cycling & Walking Alliance.

In all, Labour says it would spend £7.2 billion a year over the lifetime of the next parliament in funding active travel in England (spend on active travel in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland falls within the remit of the devolved administrations in those countries).

By comparison, the Conservatives have pledged just £350 million over the next five years, or £70 million a year, if they win the election; as road.cc contributor Laura Laker, writing today about the various parties’ cycling policies in the Guardian Bike Blog (link is external), points out, that equates to £1.18 per person a year, which is a drop on current levels of spending.

Labour says it would seek inspiration from towns and cities in Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands to draw up a healthy streets programme to improve air quality and encourage people to walk or cycle.

It aims to double the number of cycling journeys made by both adults and children through building 5,000 kilometres of cycleways as well as ensuring that there are safe routes to walk or cycle to 10,000 primary schools throughout the country.

Free Bikeability lessons would be extended to all primary school children and their parents, and money would be made available for more secondary school students and adults to benefit frok cycle training.

Other policies include grants to buy e-bikes and making bicycles affordable for all.

The party’s leader, Jeremy Corbyn, said: “I love walking and cycling so I’m proud of the policies we’ve announced today to give millions of people the freedom to walk and cycle along convenient, attractive routes, safe from traffic danger.

“These policies will slash carbon emissions, tackle air pollution, save our NHS billions and boost our high streets by making towns and city centres more pleasant.

“Our plans will transform opportunities so that travelling actively and healthily is an option for the many, not just the bold and fearless.”

https://road.cc/content/news/269151-...ngland-cycling
Old December 1st 19, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Only a dickhead and or a cyclist would vote Labour.

Old December 1st 19, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 8:22:21 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

https://road.cc/content/news/269151-...ngland-cycling

Only a dickhead and or a cyclist would vote Labour.

There must be a lot up north then.
Old December 1st 19, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

Only cyclists should be allowed to vote.

Old December 2nd 19, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 01/12/2019 21:09, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 8:22:21 PM UTC, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

https://road.cc/content/news/269151-...ngland-cycling

Only a dickhead and or a cyclist would vote Labour.

There must be a lot up north then.

You took the words out of my mouth.

'Why Northerners don’t vote Tory'

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics...dont-vote-tory

--
Bod

Old December 2nd 19, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 01/12/2019 18:12, Simon Mason wrote:
QUOTE: "The Labour Party has pledged to spend £50 per head annually
on active travel in England if it wins this month’s general election,

Wonderful. As with Labour's usual promises to destroy the economy, it
will take another layer of civil servants and require £100 in tax before
that £50 trickles back down.

Old December 3rd 19, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

MISTER Pounder thinks all bicyclists are dickheads.
I take that as a ompl;iment, coming from HIM.
Old December 3rd 19, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

I can see that, but you agreed with something else there as well! ;-)

Ken pledges 19.7m for cycling in London Tony Raven[_2_] UK 8 November 22nd 07 08:24 PM
Cycling England Tom Crispin UK 2 April 13th 07 11:03 PM
Photos and Movies: Hawaii, Day 4 - cycling the most active volcano in the world steephill Rides 3 January 23rd 06 11:29 PM
What are the best,most active cycling discussion forums on the net? Gary UK 1 October 24th 05 09:14 AM
Head tube angle/increased fork travel Alan McClure Mountain Biking 3 June 27th 03 01:28 AM