A lesson learned?

Old July 8th 09, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
lardyninja

Default A lesson learned?

As I was going straight across a 4 way junction this morning there was a
car parked on the left on the road I was going on to. It was parked
right at the beginning of the road where you're not supposed to park. In
front was another car parked then there was a space and then more cars
parked. So I was going straight on and as I was just about to cross the
junction, the driver of the first parked car quickly flicked on her
indicators and pulled out into my path. So I stopped cos I was now
blocked in. She took quite a while to manoeuvre around the first parked
car before carrying on in the same direction as me. She then stopped
just after the first legit parking space and put her car into reverse,
clearly wanting to reverse in to park. Only problem was I was right
behind her and there was now a car right behind me and a queue of
traffic on my right so I'm not sure where she expected me to go. She
gesticulated wildly but unless she expected me to disappear in a puff of
smoke or perhaps mount the pavement there was nowhere for me to go. When
the guy behind started leaning on his horn, she gave up and went on her
way leaving behind the precious parking space.

So hopefully she will come away with idea to drive more considerately
but somehow I suspect all the was left with was the feeling of grrr
bloody cyclists.

LN

--

Never knowingly understood

Old July 8th 09, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn

"lardyninja" wrote in message

So hopefully she will come away with idea to drive more considerately but
somehow I suspect all the was left with was the feeling of grrr bloody
cyclists.

I don't think it would have made a difference if you had been in a car. She
would still have behaved like that!

Old July 8th 09, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"lardyninja" wrote in message

As I was going straight across a 4 way junction this morning there was a
car parked on the left on the road I was going on to. It was parked right
at the beginning of the road where you're not supposed to park. In front
was another car parked then there was a space and then more cars parked.
So I was going straight on and as I was just about to cross the junction,
the driver of the first parked car quickly flicked on her indicators and
pulled out into my path.

She indicated before pulling out in front of you? Things are looking up.

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Old July 8th 09, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

"lardyninja" wrote in message

As I was going straight across a 4 way junction this morning there was a
car parked on the left on the road I was going on to. It was parked right
at the beginning of the road where you're not supposed to park. In front
was another car parked then there was a space and then more cars parked.
So I was going straight on and as I was just about to cross the junction,
the driver of the first parked car quickly flicked on her indicators and
pulled out into my path.

She indicated before pulling out in front of you? Things are looking up.

I find that they often sit at the side of the road with the indicator on the
right flashing away and then they can't figure out why you do not pass them.

Old July 8th 09, 01:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote in message

"lardyninja" wrote in message

So hopefully she will come away with idea to drive more considerately but
somehow I suspect all the was left with was the feeling of grrr bloody
cyclists.

I don't think it would have made a difference if you had been in a car.
She would still have behaved like that!

And the guy leaning on his horn, would probably still leant on his horn.
That's the problem with horn misuse, no one knows for sure who is blasting
off at who.

Old July 8th 09, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn

"mileburner" wrote in message

"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote in message

"lardyninja" wrote in message

So hopefully she will come away with idea to drive more considerately
but somehow I suspect all the was left with was the feeling of grrr
bloody cyclists.

I don't think it would have made a difference if you had been in a car.
She would still have behaved like that!

And the guy leaning on his horn, would probably still leant on his horn.
That's the problem with horn misuse, no one knows for sure who is blasting
off at who.

It might be better to have a public address system fitted to cars (and
bikes) so people can direct their shouting at the right person!

Old July 8th 09, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nobby Anderson

"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote in message

"lardyninja" wrote in message

So hopefully she will come away with idea to drive more considerately
but somehow I suspect all the was left with was the feeling of grrr
bloody cyclists.

I don't think it would have made a difference if you had been in a car.
She would still have behaved like that!

And the guy leaning on his horn, would probably still leant on his horn.
That's the problem with horn misuse, no one knows for sure who is blasting
off at who.

It might be better to have a public address system fitted to cars (and
bikes) so people can direct their shouting at the right person!

Someone I know once came up with the idea of short range radio comms
between cars as a means of decreasing driver irritation. For example,
someone driving slowly along for no apparent reason could say something
like "Sorry, I'm looking for number 34" which might make drivers following
more patient. My feeling is that it would work both ways, when the driver
behind uses it to politely enquire "What the **** are you doing and why
don't you get out of the ****ing way?", but it *might* be a good idea.

Nobby
Old July 8th 09, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Keitht

"Mr Benn" %%%@%.%% wrote in message
"lardyninja" wrote in message

So hopefully she will come away with idea to drive more considerately
but somehow I suspect all the was left with was the feeling of grrr
bloody cyclists.
I don't think it would have made a difference if you had been in a car.
She would still have behaved like that!

And the guy leaning on his horn, would probably still leant on his horn.
That's the problem with horn misuse, no one knows for sure who is blasting
off at who.

It might be better to have a public address system fitted to cars (and
bikes) so people can direct their shouting at the right person!

Jeez no!
We went all through that for the past couple of weeks ;-)

--

Come to Dave & Boris - your cycle security experts.
Old July 8th 09, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_7_]

mileburner wrote:

I find that they often sit at the side of the road with the indicator on the
right flashing away and then they can't figure out why you do not pass them.

Yep. The other good one is where they park with their hazard lights
flashing, but as the left side of the car is hidden by other parked cars
you can only see the right indicator.
Old July 8th 09, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Nick" wrote in message
mileburner wrote:

I find that they often sit at the side of the road with the indicator on
the right flashing away and then they can't figure out why you do not
pass them.

Yep. The other good one is where they park with their hazard lights
flashing, but as the left side of the car is hidden by other parked cars
you can only see the right indicator.

When they do that, you can usually see that both left and right lights are
flashing when you get close enough and have slowed down to about 5 mph.
Though it does seem utterly pointless to put the hazards on if you are
parked at the side of the road, amongst other parked cars in broad daylight.
Perhaps they just want everyone to pass with extreme caution. Pity though,
coz most drivers just ignore the hazards/right indicator anyway.