SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

Old February 28th 06, 01:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default bicycles on the Old Road

Peter Signorini wrote:

I drive a car because I saw a friend get killed riding his motorbike. My
personal view was that this was a more responsible decision for my family
and future children.

Wow. Future children hey. Now thats seriously arrogant. Sorry Peter
but it really is.

Old February 28th 06, 01:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Kathy" wrote:

Peter Signorini wrote:

I drive a car because I saw a friend get killed riding his motorbike. My
personal view was that this was a more responsible decision for my family
and future children.

Wow. Future children hey. Now thats seriously arrogant. Sorry Peter but
it really is.

Arrogant????!!

When I was 20, when the aforementioned accident occurred, I did actually
intend to have a family in the _future_! Today I do actually have two happy
kids who enjoy their bike riding, amongst other things.

How exactly is this "seriously arrogant"? 'Cos I don't get your criticism.

Cheers
Peter

Old February 28th 06, 10:14 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter Signorini wrote:
"Bleve" wrote:

There's dickheads in every group, no matter what they have as a common
factor, beit motorcycling, bike riding, driving landbarges ...

Yes, agree muchly.

For what it's worth, I use a motorbike as my other transport (mainly
pushbike, the MB gets a run every week or so when necessary to cover
long distances faster than my pushy can go!). I don't endanger any
cyclists when I ride it, and your calling motorbiking socially
obnoxious is one I take offence to.

I accept that it is a personal call about transport type, and as long as
it's done responsibly I don't bitch too much. I'm not trying to make a
generalisation against all motorcyclists, only those GP-wannabees who shave
my elbow, crackling their ear-splitting exhausts. No offence meant to people
on this group.

Fair enough.

I ride a motorbike because it's a
lot less damaging to the environment than a car, but it's my compromise
to practicality. It's *more* responsible (or less irresponsible!) than
a car.

I drive a car because I saw a friend get killed riding his motorbike. My
personal view was that this was a more responsible decision for my family
and future children.

Fair enough. I don't agree, but this isn't the place to argue that
issue

Old February 28th 06, 10:47 PM posted to aus.bicycle

"Peter Signorini" wrote in
:

snip

I drive a car because I saw a friend get killed riding his motorbike.

So if a friend was killed riding a bicycle you would give up bicycling ?
What if a friend and their _family_ were killed driving a car, would you
give up the car ? If a friend dies from chocking on a tomato, would you
give up tomatoes ? If a friend jumps off a cliff, would you follow them ?
If a friends wife kills him, would you divorce yours ?

Surley the death of a friend gives you pause to reflect but if you have to
modify your behaviour based on that incident, something systemic is wrong
IMO. ie I guess I fail to see how it's "the motorcycles fault", as this
appears to be where you have laid blame over your friends demise.

The question is really only rhetorical, simply because I don't understand
that mindset

I ride for pleasure and to comute on both my motorbike and my MTB. Do I
ride fast on my bike, no, that would be irresponsible, do I exceed the
speed limit, sure 'enuff, very regularly.

--
Trevor S

-Albert Einstein
Old February 28th 06, 11:19 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Trevor_S wrote

I ride for pleasure and to comute on both my motorbike and my MTB. Do I
ride fast on my bike, no, that would be irresponsible, do I exceed the
speed limit, sure 'enuff, very regularly.

Our 18 yr old twins recently got their P plates and accordingly have
effectively a zero permitted blood alcohol level when driving.

This may just be my ineptitude, but on reflection I am inclined to apply
that policy whenever on 2 wheels, especially when they are powered.

Its just that I noticed the other day riding home from work (after thank
Allah its Friday drinks) that the reactions were slower and the lines
through corners not as tight as I would have liked them to be. Probably
under the legal limit, but skills not what they need to be in that
environment.

Will be sticking to red bulls without the vodka until the 2 wheels are
parked for the day.

best, Andrew

Old February 28th 06, 11:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default SYD: bicycles on the Old Road

Random Data wrote:

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:30:38 +0000, TimC wrote:

I'll run with you

Sssh, or Tam will give us ****.

How far you going? Nice easy 50km?

Tam
Old March 1st 06, 12:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default impairment was bicycles on the Old Road

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 28 Feb 2006 23:19:28 GMT
Andrew Price wrote:

Its just that I noticed the other day riding home from work (after thank
Allah its Friday drinks) that the reactions were slower and the lines
through corners not as tight as I would have liked them to be. Probably
under the legal limit, but skills not what they need to be in that
environment.

I find that recognising impairment is a useful skill.

Doesn't have to be alcohol. It can be flu, or fatigue.

What made you realise the reactions were slow? What tipped you off?

Zebee
Old March 1st 06, 02:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Peter Signorini wrote:

I drive a car because I saw a friend get killed riding his motorbike.
My personal view was that this was a more responsible decision for my
family and future children.

That's silly Peter. 1500 people died in cars in Oz last year, is that a
reason for you to stop driving?

Note also that I drive a Commodore, and I believe I drive it
responsibly. I have two kids, and we often take trips with camping
gear and bikes, so the space is valauble. Recently I have been
commuting 2-5 days per week so the Commode/Stinkadore/etc doesn't
clog the roads and air as much. I have often noted many disparaging
comments from posters here about Commodore drivers but, until now,
have not found it necessary to take them to task over any offence
caused to me.

Come on Peter, you can't drive a Commodore and not expect to get some stick.
From Falcon drivers if no-one else. :-)

Theo

Old March 1st 06, 05:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Random Data wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:30:38 +0000, TimC wrote:

I'll run with you

Sssh, or Tam will give us ****.

How far you going? Nice easy 50km?

Tam

It wouldn't surprise me if Random Dave would find a 50km nice and easy.
Provided you could prise him away from his bike.

Not to sure about TimC...

Parbs
Old March 1st 06, 05:51 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Theo Bekkers Wrote:
Peter Signorini wrote:

[...]

From Falcon drivers if no-one else. :-)

Theo

It's pretty natural to react differently when an accident claims a
close friend than some news report about people you'll never know. It
isn't correct from an acturarial point of view, but mixing death and
close friends tends to widen the gap between perception and reality.

Would I behave the same way? I hope I don't have to find out.

Ritch

PS. Commodores and their drivers are crap (perception = reality ) )

--
ritcho