The next step up

Old August 14th 06, 07:34 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Jimbo(san)

Default The next step up

We continue to dig ourselves out of the past couple of years of
sickness and inactivity. Our new place has us right across the street
from a huge school that gives us plenty to ride, run and play on. Carla
has a new trials bike on the way... I'm sure this will give us endless
hours of play time... Gosh I missed playing around on the trials bike.
She is also contemplating joining an indoor soccer league. I have begun
to run and for some reason I am actually enjoying it. I am
comtemplating
a a duathalon. The two things I never saw myself doing was any type of
race or any type of running... I am throwing around the idea of a 2
mile
run- 10 mile mtb- 2 mile run race. I don't know what to expect and I am
working on running a mile at a decent pace. I have about a month and a
half to
train for this and I guess it is more about the goal than the race. I
already threw a wrench in the works for myself by proclaiming I would
do
the mtb part of the race on the SS...

Jimbo(san)

Old August 14th 06, 07:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Jimbo(san) wrote:
We continue to dig ourselves out of the past couple of years of
sickness and inactivity.

I know what you mean. Since the move from CO, I have been relatively
inactive. Riding 5-7 days a week in the dirt to 2-3 at best is a huge
change. Time factors with proximity to trails and work schedule have
dictated modification to the exercise program the past year as well.
So, this Summer I have found swimming again. The local community pool
is less than a mile away and only $2 a session. A quick cruiser spin
and I'm there for 75 minutes of swimming laps. I feel like Teddy in
"One Crazy Summer", not wanting to do anything until I "do my laps".
Two months ago, the two crashes I took on the 29 miler yesterday would
have put me on the couch for a couple of days. The only thing bothering
me is the itching where some little bitch of a bee stung me multiple
times on my arm while cruising down a fast downhill.

JD

Old August 14th 06, 08:07 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Carla A-G

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jimbo(san) wrote:
[...]

We live directly across from a high school that has swim sessions also, for
$2.50 a pop, during fall/winter/spring. The property is gigantic, it has
soccer fields, brand new running track, brand new tennis courts, trails for
xc running. We're there nearly every single day doing something. The dog
loves it even more because he gets to run all over the place and not worry
about speeding cars.

I'd never thought that I would ever hear you say that you are riding less
than usual...

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old August 14th 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Carla A-G wrote:
I'd never thought that I would ever hear you say that you are riding less
than usual...

I bet you never thought you'd hear that I have a road bike either. I
had Edge Cycles build me a custom steel bike last year and have already
burned through a set of 23mm Contis and pulled apart the rear wheel.
I'm ditching the 28 spoke rear wheel for a 32 that was built by a local
dude here who is a total freakazoid and has a great rep for building
lasting road bike wheels. There is so much pavement here, it would
have been ridiculous for me not to join the dark side.

JD

Old August 14th 06, 09:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"JD" wrote in message
oups.com...

Carla A-G wrote:
I'd never thought that I would ever hear you say that you are riding

less
than usual...

I bet you never thought you'd hear that I have a road bike either. I
had Edge Cycles build me a custom steel bike last year and have already
burned through a set of 23mm Contis and pulled apart the rear wheel.
I'm ditching the 28 spoke rear wheel for a 32 that was built by a local
dude here who is a total freakazoid and has a great rep for building
lasting road bike wheels. There is so much pavement here, it would
have been ridiculous for me not to join the dark side.

Wow, the cat is definitely out of the bag now, you GRP.

Greg

Old August 14th 06, 09:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Jimbo(san)

JD wrote:
There is so much pavement here, it would
have been ridiculous for me not to join the dark side.

JD

I got one word for you Jer...
Fixie

Jimbo(san)

Old August 14th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
G.T.

"Jimbo(san)" wrote in message
ps.com...

JD wrote:
There is so much pavement here, it would
have been ridiculous for me not to join the dark side.

JD

I got one word for you Jer...
Fixie

Oh, he's been getting lots of fixie inspiration recently.

Greg

Old August 14th 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

JD wrote:
Carla A-G wrote:
I'd never thought that I would ever hear you say that you are riding less
than usual...

I bet you never thought you'd hear that I have a road bike either. I
had Edge Cycles build me a custom steel bike last year and have already
burned through a set of 23mm Contis and pulled apart the rear wheel.
I'm ditching the 28 spoke rear wheel for a 32 that was built by a local
dude here who is a total freakazoid and has a great rep for building
lasting road bike wheels. There is so much pavement here, it would
have been ridiculous for me not to join the dark side.

JD

Somehow I just can't picture you in that much lycra, nor do I want to.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 14th 06, 10:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Jimbo(san) wrote:
[...]

Isn't it strange how running seems to either feel great or terrible? I'm
off running at the moment, but sometimes I can't get enough of it.

Duathlons can be kind of fun. I would usually spend the first running
portion with a lot of the slow-ish runners. Often a collection of people
who are a heavier, significantly older than me, and sometimes both. Then
on the bike I'd be fighting my way up towards the front of the pack,
passing dozens of people at a time, and airing sections others were
walking. It seems most duathlon competitors (at least the ones I see
during the race) are not mountain bikers. Then for the final running bit
I'd see many of those people I'd just passed again and I'd end up
somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Hope you have fun. That is the point after all!

Matt
Old August 15th 06, 12:48 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
JD wrote:
Carla A-G wrote:
I'd never thought that I would ever hear you say that you are riding less
than usual...

I bet you never thought you'd hear that I have a road bike either. I
had Edge Cycles build me a custom steel bike last year and have already
burned through a set of 23mm Contis and pulled apart the rear wheel.
I'm ditching the 28 spoke rear wheel for a 32 that was built by a local
dude here who is a total freakazoid and has a great rep for building
lasting road bike wheels. There is so much pavement here, it would
have been ridiculous for me not to join the dark side.

JD

Somehow I just can't picture you in that much lycra, nor do I want to.

Nobody sees that much of me while I'm on it. I have only been passed
by other cyclists three times so far. Dozens have tried to pace me to
no avail. It seems upsetting to the clown club when a hairy sasquatch
with mounain bike shoes, helmet and jersey pass their lame asses like
they were standing still.

JD