Another cycle farcility

Old August 14th 03, 11:40 PM
Tim Hall

Default Another cycle farcility

Wending my way through Richmond (on Thames) this afternoon I spied
another useless cycle farcility. A one way street with two lanes plus
a Magic Red Asphalt Cycle Lane. So far nothing special.

However the road is quite narrow, in places almost too narrow for two
lanes of traffic. The Magic Red Asphalt Cycle Lane makes everything
even narrower. To make it all OK though, it's an advisory cycle lane
only (broken white line border) and there's a sign on a lamp post
saying it's an advisory lane only, please use as normal traffic lane.

What is the point? (rhetoroical)

Tim
--
In space no one can eat ice cream
Old August 15th 03, 08:52 AM
Robert Bruce

"Tim Hall" wrote

What is the point? (rhetoroical)

Local Authority gets to report on an extra n metres of cycle 'provision'.

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and
benefit.

Old August 15th 03, 09:01 AM
Peter Fox

Following on from Tim Hall's message. . .
Wending my way through Richmond (on Thames) this afternoon I spied
another useless cycle farcility. A one way street with two lanes plus
a Magic Red Asphalt Cycle Lane. So far nothing special.

However the road is quite narrow, in places almost too narrow for two
lanes of traffic. The Magic Red Asphalt Cycle Lane makes everything
even narrower. To make it all OK though, it's an advisory cycle lane
only (broken white line border) and there's a sign on a lamp post
saying it's an advisory lane only, please use as normal traffic lane.

What is the point? (rhetoroical)

Ask the chief executive of the Borough. Also ask if they have got
special approval from the DfT for the non-standard signs. Chase and
chase.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the e-commerce business came to a .
2 Tees Close, Witham, Essex.
Old August 15th 03, 09:33 PM
Colin McKenzie

Tim Hall wrote:

Wending my way through Richmond (on Thames) this afternoon I spied
another useless cycle farcility. A one way street with two lanes plus
a Magic Red Asphalt Cycle Lane. So far nothing special.

However the road is quite narrow, in places almost too narrow for two
lanes of traffic. The Magic Red Asphalt Cycle Lane makes everything
even narrower. To make it all OK though, it's an advisory cycle lane
only (broken white line border) and there's a sign on a lamp post
saying it's an advisory lane only, please use as normal traffic lane.

What is the point? (rhetoroical)

Well, it's useful if the magic cycle lane is contraflow, possibly
preventing a long detour. Is it?

Colin McKenzie
Old August 18th 03, 02:41 PM
Martin Cleaver

Tim Hall wrote:

What is the point? (rhetoroical)

Another cycling Farcicality worthy of note is formed by the new
cycle lanes laid in an area of the Essex town of Harwich and
Dovercourt Bay. Ramsay Road has been successfully reduced to a
30 mph limit thanks to the provision of cycle tracks and a
widened central reservation. Just one problem: people are
allowed to park on the cycle tracks! So now cyclists have to
veer out into a narrower car lane in order to make any progress.
I fear the pavements are a safer place for cyclists with road
planners like this at work!

Rgds

Martin
Old August 25th 03, 11:48 PM
Tim Hall

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 22:36:09 +0100, Paul Luton
wrote:

Sorry for the delay. Hols.

Could you give an indication where this is as it is on my patch ?

Not too sure, as I'm not from round those parts. However according to
my sister who art in Kingston it could be George Street.

I got to it by coming out of Richmond Park past the Star and Garter
home, taking a left into Richmond town centre. IIRC the road then
went round to the left infront of a department store, and into this
street. It was shared with lots of buses at one point. The two lane
oneway section began after the road curved round to the right. At the
junction left would have taken me towards Kingston, right took me back
into Richmond.

Yes it sounds silly but I have been asking for a similar feature to make it
clear to cagers that cyclists are entitled/advised to move across to
position ourselves in approach to a roundabout. (central Teddington - there
is not room for a proper separate cycle lane berween the left and ahead
lanes. )

So why bother with the cycle lane?

Tim
--
In space no one can eat ice cream
Old August 26th 03, 10:14 PM
Paul Luton

wrote:

Sorry for the delay. Hols.

Could you give an indication where this is as it is on my patch ?

Not too sure, as I'm not from round those parts. However according to
my sister who art in Kingston it could be George Street.
The two lane oneway section began after the road curved round to the
right. At the junction left would have taken me towards Kingston, right
took me back into Richmond.

Probably Eton Street which is uphill and IMO quite wide enough for a cycle
lane and two MV lanes. The "ignore this lane" notice is probably the work
of the new "cycling has zero priority" Conservative council.

Yes it sounds silly but I have been asking for a similar feature to make it
clear to cagers that cyclists are entitled/advised to move across to
position ourselves in approach to a roundabout. (central Teddington - there
is not room for a proper separate cycle lane berween the left and ahead
lanes. )

So why bother with the cycle lane?

To make the point that cyclists have the right and should be expected to
move out of what is becoming the left turning lane. The council wants a
cycle lane on the footway crossing each arm with no priority.

--
CTC Right to Ride Representative for Richmond upon Thames