dana point

Old April 12th 10, 12:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

Default dana point

so i had the misfortune to come across the race coverage of dana point
on justin.tv or ustream (or whatever it was) last night, and, yes, i
watched it.

but it reminded me of two things: (1) crit racing in the US is so
boring, and (2) listening to Dave Towle (sp?) makes me nauseous -- I
finally had to mute the audio when he started talking about Flandis
and his high hopes for the "former Tour winner" in 2010 ...
Old April 12th 10, 02:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Betty Munro

bar wrote:
so i had the misfortune to come across the race coverage of dana point
on justin.tv or ustream (or whatever it was) last night, and, yes, i
watched it.

I thought Dana Point was some hot chick you were hoping to tap until I
read the content.
Old April 12th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
K. Fred Gauss

bar wrote:
so i had the misfortune to come across the race coverage of dana point
on justin.tv or ustream (or whatever it was) last night, and, yes, i
watched it.

but it reminded me of two things: (1) crit racing in the US is so
boring, and (2) listening to Dave Towle (sp?) makes me nauseous -- I
finally had to mute the audio when he started talking about Flandis
and his high hopes for the "former Tour winner" in 2010 ...

That's "former" as in "he was formerly listed as winner of the TdF". I
sympathize with anyone who has to announce a race with Flandis in it.
You have to either give a full explanation Flandis being stripped of the
tour title (and who wants to listen to that?) or else use a shorthand
explanation that leaves you open to (perfectly valid) criticism.
Old April 12th 10, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

Really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycem7bHeGic

Old April 13th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fredmaster of Brainerd

On Apr 12, 5:56*pm, "K. Fred Gauss"
wrote:
bar wrote:
so i had the misfortune to come across the race coverage of dana point
on justin.tv or ustream (or whatever it was) last night, and, yes, i
watched it.

but it reminded me of two things: *(1) crit racing in the US is so
boring, and (2) listening to Dave Towle (sp?) makes me nauseous -- I
finally had to mute the audio when he started talking about Flandis
and his high hopes for the "former Tour winner" in 2010 ...

That's "former" as in "he was formerly listed as winner of the TdF". I
sympathize with anyone who has to announce a race with Flandis in it.
You have to either give a full explanation Flandis being stripped of the
tour title (and who wants to listen to that?) or else use a shorthand
explanation that leaves you open to (perfectly valid) criticism.

Flandis is the Racer Formerly Known as Winner of the Tour.

He is a former TdF winner. For a while he was the TdF winner,
and now he is not.

I have sympathy for someone announcing a crit race, you
have a long time to talk and the action is not very variable,
so there's a lot of time to fill. And it's understandable to
spend some of it talking about the fave riders of your
average semi-clueless audience members.

IOW, I think I'm agreeing with bar that watching coverage
of crit races in the US is boring. It's more worthwhile if
you're there and can interact with the spectator scene,
or know people in the race, or both.

Fredmaster Ben
Old April 13th 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bar

On Apr 12, 6:58*pm, "marco" wrote:
bar wrote:
crit racing in the US is so boring...

Really? *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycem7bHeGic

and? bahati throwing a bottle at someone is exciting? crashes? that's
exciting? please. go watch nascar and drink your budweiser.

Racing in the US is a joke.
Old April 13th 10, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

bar wrote:
and? bahati throwing a bottle at someone is exciting? crashes? that's
exciting? please. go watch nascar and drink your budweiser.

I've always been fascinated by the final laps of pro crits in the US.
Sometimes a team has it fully controlled and their closer takes the win
easily. Other times it's sloppy and chaotic. The ettiquette is interesting
too, especially wrt to butting in line and who respects who(m). Perhaps
Bahati felt he should have had more leeway than usual being the 2009 winner
and with what happened to Jorge Alvarado last week. Obviously others didn't
see it that way (see comments in Velonews by Ken Hanson and others). Anyway,
no matter who was at fault for that crash, it will certainly add a bit more
interest in future races with Bahati and UHC.

I've never seen nascar and it's kind of Oregon'ish outside today, so I think
I'll have a Full Sail Ale instead of a bud.

Old April 13th 10, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
GoneBeforeMyTime

bar wrote:
On Apr 12, 6:58 pm, "marco" wrote:
bar wrote:
crit racing in the US is so boring...

Really? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycem7bHeGic

and? bahati throwing a bottle at someone is exciting? crashes? that's
exciting? please. go watch nascar and drink your budweiser.

Racing in the US is a joke.

And why don't you take your beer can and shove it up your ass.

Old April 13th 10, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred K. Gringioni

bar wrote:
and? bahati throwing a bottle at someone is exciting? crashes? that's
exciting? please. go watch nascar and drink your budweiser.

I've always been fascinated by the final laps of pro crits in the US.
Sometimes a team has it fully controlled and their closer takes the win
easily. Other times it's sloppy and chaotic. The ettiquette is interesting
too, especially wrt to butting in line and who respects who(m).

snip

Dumbass -

IMO, crits are interesting in person, but they don't televise well.

Paris-Roubaix, that televises well.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Old April 13th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ronaldo_jeremiah

On Apr 12, 8:07*pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" wrote:

And why don't you take your beer can and shove it up your ass.

This isn't a Lemon Party, Bruce.

-rj