constant punctures driving me mad.......

Old November 11th 04, 10:15 AM
Sylvian Stone

Default constant punctures driving me mad.......

Hi there - I wonder if anyone can advise on the following:

I've gone through about 4 inner tubes in the last month - the last one
was replaced on Monday night, and when I left work last night it had
gone again.

When I have examined the tubes, they have split at the bottom where
the valve stem is joined to the main tube - so I guessed the valve is
getting dragged into the side of the hole in the wheel where the valve
stem is inserted.

OK, a guy in a bike shop suggested that this is a tire pressure
problem - however, when I upped the tire pressure, the same thing
happened.

I have noticed that the rim tape (or whatever you call it) that covers
the wheel rim looks like cheap elastic, and is very stretched. If I
changed this for something better, might this stop the problem ?

Thanks
Neil.
Old November 11th 04, 10:20 AM
Adrian Boliston

"Sylvian Stone" wrote:

I have noticed that the rim tape (or whatever you call it) that covers
the wheel rim looks like cheap elastic, and is very stretched. If I
changed this for something better, might this stop the problem ?

get velox tape - u will not regret it!

Old November 11th 04, 10:43 AM
Alex Ferrier

Adrian Boliston wrote:

"Sylvian Stone" wrote:

I have noticed that the rim tape (or whatever you call it) that covers
the wheel rim looks like cheap elastic, and is very stretched. If I
changed this for something better, might this stop the problem ?

get velox tape - u will not regret it!

Or, until you replace the rim tape...

Cut a small circular piece out of an old inner tube up and make
a grommet for the valve. Make a small hole in the middle of the piece
of rubber and push the valve through it. It should be a tight fit.

Fit the inner tube as normal. It worked for me when I had a wheel
that kept destroying inner tubes in the same fashion.

--
Alex
BMW R1150GS

Old November 11th 04, 11:04 AM
Mark Thompson

OK, a guy in a bike shop suggested that this is a tire pressure
problem - however, when I upped the tire pressure, the same thing
happened.

What pressure did you pump it to? Just wondering if it's still
underinflated.
Old November 11th 04, 12:25 PM
Pete Biggs

Sylvian Stone wrote:
When I have examined the tubes, they have split at the bottom where
the valve stem is joined to the main tube - so I guessed the valve is
getting dragged into the side of the hole in the wheel where the valve
stem is inserted.

The tubes are faulty (poor manufactured), you are entitled to a refund.
Change to a different brand, preferably Michelin. This is a common fault:
there have been some bad batches made in recent years. Also, don't
over-tighten the lockrings (if you do use them) as this can exacerbate the
problem if the bonding is weak, IMO.

OK, a guy in a bike shop suggested that this is a tire pressure
problem - however, when I upped the tire pressure, the same thing
happened.

It's not an air pressure problem.

I have noticed that the rim tape (or whatever you call it) that covers
the wheel rim looks like cheap elastic, and is very stretched. If I
changed this for something better, might this stop the problem ?

Maybe but probably not, but it's worth changing to a better type anyway
such as Velox, if suitable for your rims.

~PB

Old November 11th 04, 12:43 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Adrian Boliston" typed

get velox tape - u will not regret it!

Velox tape is always a good idea. I don't think your punctures are a rim
tape problem though.

I (and other posters here too) have had inner tubes (mainly Specialized)
fail by the valve stem.

This might be a manufacturing problem as some brands seem much more
prone than others.

Some valve stems may not be set straight and wiggle about too much if
tyre pressure is low.

There is probably also a potential problem when relatively 'undersized'
tubes are used in 'large' tyres, eg using a 700c x 23-28mm tube in a
700c x 28mm tyre. I think overstretching can weaken the tube.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 11th 04, 01:05 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Sylvian
Stone ') wrote:

Hi there - I wonder if anyone can advise on the following:

I've gone through about 4 inner tubes in the last month - the last one
was replaced on Monday night, and when I left work last night it had
gone again.

When I have examined the tubes, they have split at the bottom where
the valve stem is joined to the main tube - so I guessed the valve is
getting dragged into the side of the hole in the wheel where the valve
stem is inserted.

OK, a guy in a bike shop suggested that this is a tire pressure
problem - however, when I upped the tire pressure, the same thing
happened.

It /is/ a tyre pressure problem; caused not by slightly too low
pressure, but grossly too low pressure. If you're riding on mountain
bike type tyres you can avoid this by inflating to at least 40 psi
(although 60 psi is better for resisting punctures). If you're using
road bike type tyres, you need more in the order of 80 to 100 psi.

Generally the higher the pressure the less likely you are to have
punctures, although thorns and glass can still be problems. Greater
pressure also reduces rolling resistance, but gives a slightly less
compliant ride and less grip on soft or irregular surfaces, so the
eventual pressure you choose is a compromise. I run my mountain bikes
at around 55psi and my road bikes at around 110psi.

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security team. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem for free?
Old November 11th 04, 01:24 PM
Sylvian Stone

Well, I tried inflating the tyres to 60 - 80 psi.

Does'nt seem to make any difference how hard I inflate them.

I'll give the Velox tape a go.

Rgds
Neil.

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message
in message , Sylvian

Old November 11th 04, 02:31 PM
Pete Biggs

Sylvian Stone wrote:
Well, I tried inflating the tyres to 60 - 80 psi.

Does'nt seem to make any difference how hard I inflate them.

Agreed. I've had the same failures from various pressures.

I'll give the Velox tape a go.

Give different inner tubes a go otherwise you'll be wasting money buying
the same tubes again.

~PB

Old November 11th 04, 02:37 PM
Pete Biggs

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Sylvian
Stone ') wrote:

[...]

These are not ordinary punctures but valve separations. Yes it's a bad
idea to ride on nearly flat tyres (and the tube may get more strained
then) but pumping the tyre harder is not going to cure a manufacturing
defect.

~PB

New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Torygraph argues that driving crime is not real crime... Howard UK 356 September 1st 04 03:16 AM
Vimw unilaur Unicycling 1 August 16th 03 12:07 PM
punctures Steve Watkin UK 5 July 31st 03 10:06 PM