How to **** Off an Arrogant Pedalcyclist

Old May 17th 05, 04:16 AM
The Real Bev

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2005 23:24:29 -0700, John David Galt
wrote:

Scott en Aztlán wrote:
Riding a bicycle on the sidewalk is against California law. There are
no exceptions for "safety reasons."

So what? I'd break that law if I felt safety required it. But that
should rarely be true for adults, unless the only available route has
a narrow right lane, no shoulder, and a high average speed.

This particular street had a nice bike lane, a 40 MPH speed limit, and
light automobile traffic:

http://tinypic.com/53qxz6

I agree with you that you had right of way, but the rider did stop
and you should have let him by.

We *did* let him by: when we reached the point where this guy was
standing, we fell into single-file temporarily until we were past him,
the same way we would have done for any pedestrian. He was ****ed
because we didn't "let him by" by stepping off the concrete into the
grass so he could ride by at full speed. And you know, it really
breaks my heart that this arrogant scofflaw had to suffer such a grave
inconvenience...

OK, the guy was an asshole. If you had been carrying a broom handle you could
have moved off the sidewalk and thrust it through his spokes as he passed. Or
maybe you could have given him a squirt with the bottle of ammonia water that
you carry to ward off attacking dogs. "Oops, sorry, dude..."

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old May 17th 05, 04:39 AM
di

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .
"Bill Sornson" wrote in
:

(Similarly, the vast majority of cyclists are considerate of and
cooperative with motorists;

"vast majority";HA,what BS.

--
Jim Yanik

What are you, the 2nd team for Scott?

Old May 17th 05, 04:47 AM
Brent P

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:

Most cement trucks and other "slow" motor vehicles still move faster than
the usual bicyclist.And they are more rare than the usual bicyclist(unless
your route takes you past the cement plant).

I've been stuck behind such vehicles. While they may move faster, I am
stuck behind them much, much, longer. Sometimes for minutes and miles. As
compared to zero to seconds and feet for the bicyclist. I have to slow to
the slow motor vehicle's speed. I can't recall ever being forced to slow
to a bicyclist's speed.

The total delay getting by a bicyclist for me has always been trivial and
generally too small to measure. Slow moving motor vehicle on the other
hand have been easily measurable by reducing speed over significant
travel distances.

Old May 17th 05, 04:48 AM
Brent P

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:

They should also consider what happens in a auto-bike collision,and who the
bigger loser ends up to be,regardless of intentional or unintended.

You should consider what happens in a semitruck-auto collision. Better
get off the road, there are vehicles out there much bigger than yours.

Old May 17th 05, 12:20 PM
Joe Canuck

Scott en Aztlán wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 16:02:16 -0400, Joe Canuck
wrote:

Someday you will make the wrong remark to the wrong person and really
end up in trouble over it, more trouble than you can handle.

I don't wish this on you, but with your attitude it is just a matter of
time before it happens.

I'll be sure and let you know when it does so you can gloat.

Thats the problem, you might not be around to do so.

Sheesh, lighten up.
Old May 17th 05, 02:22 PM
AZ Nomad

On 17 May 2005 12:40:51 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

(Brent P) wrote in
:

In article , Jim Yanik
wrote:

They should also consider what happens in a auto-bike collision,and
who the bigger loser ends up to be,regardless of intentional or
unintended.

You should consider what happens in a semitruck-auto collision. Better
get off the road, there are vehicles out there much bigger than yours.

They have a better chance of surviving with lesser injuries than a bike-
auto collision.At least one in an auto has some sheet metal wrapped around
them.

That's only true at the similar speeds. I can't recall the last time I was
at 90 mph while riding a bicycle.
Old May 17th 05, 03:45 PM
Bob

John David Galt wrote:
That law needs to be put back the way it was.

Heaven forbid you have to have some minor driving skill.

Driving skill has nothing to do with the question. The point is that
no one has any business needlessly slowing traffic. Repeat that

until
you get it through your thick head.

No, the real point is that you are making the assumptions that:
1) bicyclists cause other traffic to slow (something I've rarely
witnessed) and
2) that any slowing of traffic is "needless".
Until and unless you refine your argument to conform with both reality
and applicable laws you will continue to sound like those that complain
about drivers that actually obey the posted speed limits.
You seem to be in California. California law grants bicyclists the
right to use the roadways. Repeat that until you get it through your
thick head.

Regards,
Bob Hunt