Pervert on a bicycle

Old August 14th 20, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Pervert on a bicycle

On 8/14/2020 1:44 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/14/2020 10:45 AM, AMuzi wrote:

To the larger question, our society is wan to punish
anyone, the criminal class being viewed more as
misunderstood Robin Hoods or, as the Romanians describe
Vlad the Impaler, patriots improving society. Yes, we
still have a large imprisoned population as we have a lot
of criminals.

Our society is reluctant to punish anyone?? We lead the
world in incarceration rates!

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...tes-by-country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rceration_rate

Or are you claiming that American society is so terrible
that even world record incarceration is not adequate? Sounds
one step away from T.H. White's "Everything not forbidden is
compulsory."

And more, we're a highly structured society in that crimes
are more often than not actually reported. This skews 'total
number of crimes' as compared to other places but that
number seems to be high per peopulation

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old August 14th 20, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 8/14/2020 3:08 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/14/2020 1:44 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 8/14/2020 10:45 AM, AMuzi wrote:

To the larger question, our society is wan to punish
anyone, the criminal class being viewed more as
misunderstood Robin Hoods or, as the Romanians describe
Vlad the Impaler, patriots improving society. Yes, we
still have a large imprisoned population as we have a lot
of criminals.

Our society is reluctant to punish anyone?? We lead the
world in incarceration rates!

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...tes-by-country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rceration_rate

Or are you claiming that American society is so terrible
that even world record incarceration is not adequate? Sounds
one step away from T.H. White's "Everything not forbidden is
compulsory."

Go read some local news around the country for a few weeks and note the
horrible mayhem wreaked by early release felons.

So what do you suggest? if world-leading incarceration rates don't do
the trick, what percentage of Americans should be incarcerated?

Or do you have some other tactic in mind?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 14th 20, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 8:11:09 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

If you subtract the number jailed for possession of drugs (users, not pushers), the numbers look much better.

Andre Jute
On the other hand, jailing drugs-users efficiently enters them into a cold turkey detox programme
Old August 14th 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 14:44:13 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/14/2020 10:45 AM, AMuzi wrote:

To the larger question, our society is wan to punish anyone, the
criminal class being viewed more as misunderstood Robin Hoods or, as the
Romanians describe Vlad the Impaler, patriots improving society. Yes, we
still have a large imprisoned population as we have a lot of criminals.

Our society is reluctant to punish anyone?? We lead the world in
incarceration rates!

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...tes-by-country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...rceration_rate

Or are you claiming that American society is so terrible that even world
record incarceration is not adequate? Sounds one step away from T.H.
White's "Everything not forbidden is compulsory."

Perhaps the missed point is that incarceration does not seem to make
much an impression on many, most, of those incarcerated. see
https://www.bjs.gov/index.cfm?ty=pbdetail&iid=6266

The 401,288 state prisoners released in 2005 had 1,994,000 arrests
during the 9-year period, an average of 5 arrests per released
prisoner.

An estimated 68% of released prisoners were arrested within 3 years,
79% within 6 years, and 83% within 9 years.

Eighty-two percent of prisoners arrested during the 9-year period were
arrested within the first 3 years..

Forty-four percent of released prisoners were arrested during the
first year following release..

In short, putting people in Jail doesn't seem to rehabilitate them at
all.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 20, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Agreed. There are exceptions (and I know at least one) but the data does
make one question the entire strategy.

With this as with many other issues, I often wonder how other countries
handle things. Americans have a strong tendency to think we're the best
and smartest of all, and that we can't possibly learn from other
countries. But I disagree.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old August 15th 20, 12:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 16:32:38 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Well, I suppose it is prejudiced but something like half of all
murders are committed by a group of people that make up only 12 - 14%
of the U.S. population :-O
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 20, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, Singapore and Malaysia execute dope dealers which does tend to
reduce the numbers engaged in the trade. I believe that Singapore has
the lowest user, per capita, in the world. Thailand tends to put them
in jail which doesn't seem to reduce the numbers by any appreciable
amount. Holland, I understand, simply legalized the product :-)

Perhaps that is the answer. Simply legalize dope. After all there was
a period, in the U.S., when alcoholic beverages were illegal. And...
if dope is legal it can be taxed.

And, some states have undertaken such projects. Nevada, for example,
has legalized prostitution, under certain conditions, and taxes the
trade. Most states have some form of legalized gambling, and so on.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 20, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the stats have indicated that for 30 years. But the
fact remains that their neighborhood is greatly improved in
their absence.

Old August 15th 20, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Ah but, it is, or soon will be, cruel and unusual punishment. And
think of the costs born by the tax payer. California says it costs
$81,203 a year to keep a bloke in prison and Charles Manson, for
example, spent about 40 years in prison - cost of $3,249,120.

Perhaps a new method would be to tell a chap, stay honest and we'll
give you $50,000 at the end of every year.... think of the savings,
$30,000 a year that the taxpayer doesn't have to front up.

On the other hand, 1" rope is about $1.00 a foot.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old August 15th 20, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, August 14, 2020 at 12:08:58 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

What ever could go wrong?

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...state-hospital

Not to pick nits, but this was a release from a state mental hospital and not a penal facility. The outcome is no less savory, but constitutionally, holding crazy people for life is a whole other kettle of fish.

-- Jay Beattie.

Oh look! Yet another cycling pervert. Mr Pounder Esquire UK 2 September 16th 17 08:26 PM
YET another pervert on a bicycle! Mr Pounder Esquire UK 1 September 1st 17 08:48 PM
Yet another pervert on a bicycle Mr Pounder Esquire UK 1 March 23rd 16 09:37 AM
Pervert Cyclist Judith[_4_] UK 18 December 31st 15 03:01 AM
Another pervert on the loose Simon Mason UK 0 September 20th 11 04:26 PM