Got the tent!!!

Old August 22nd 04, 05:27 PM
Vivian

Default Got the tent!!!

OK, finally got my tent. It's a Eurotreck Backpacker tent. I just pitched
it in the communal garden we have here in our building. So, the tent has
two great things and one not so great: The great things are that I only
payed £29.99 for it, and the other great thing is that it only weights 2.5
kgs - yeah, I know there are tents out there that weight 1.5 kgs but I
couldn't find them. The Argos one that was recommended to me by you guy is,
as Van de Man would say, real, real gone!

The not so great thing is that it doesn't have much porch space, which can
be a bummer when I'm carrying 2 big cycling panniers. But, as I'm gonna be
the only occupier of said tent on this trip - unless I get lucky! - won't
worry about that now.

So, thank you all for your advise. I'm really excited about this trip; so
excited that I spent a lot of money in Millets and in Blacks, buying all
kinds of camping stuff! :-)

Vivian
-------
"We learned more from a three minute record than we ever learned in school".
No Surrender

Old August 22nd 04, 08:08 PM
Brian

"Vivian" wrote in
:

OK, finally got my tent. It's a Eurotreck Backpacker tent.

snip

Good stuff Vivian!

I'm hoping to do some cycle camping too with my new bike, only problem is
my holidays finish next week, and my LBS haven't got pannier racks in
stock... SO I've got tent, panniers, stove sleeping bag etc, but no
pannier rack on my bike :-/

--
Brian
Old August 22nd 04, 11:30 PM
chris French

In message , Brian
writes

I'm hoping to do some cycle camping too with my new bike, only problem is
my holidays finish next week, and my LBS haven't got pannier racks in
stock... SO I've got tent, panniers, stove sleeping bag etc, but no
pannier rack on my bike :-/

There are plenty of places that will have a rack with you next day I'm
sure
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old August 23rd 04, 12:42 AM
gopher bronze

Vivian pibbled:
OK, finally got my tent.

The problem with cycle camping is that there's no battery to blow up the
airbed!

Old August 23rd 04, 08:18 AM
Brian

chris French wrote in
:

There are plenty of places that will have a rack with you next day I'm
sure

True, but my bike doesn't have braze ons at the seat post, so when I
originally bought the bike I asked that they would fit a rack but they had
none in stock, and they said that it would mean a new seat clamp. Besides
I'd rather the bike shop fit it rather than me bodge it up :-/

--
Brian
Old August 23rd 04, 09:45 AM
ScumOfTheRoad

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:18:31 +0000, Brian wrote:

True, but my bike doesn't have braze ons at the seat post, so when I
originally bought the bike I asked that they would fit a rack but they had
none in stock, and they said that it would mean a new seat clamp. Besides
I'd rather the bike shop fit it rather than me bodge it up :-/

M-parts seat clamp, costs about a tenner.
It replaces the original seat clamp, and has two threaded holes.
Available at LBSes, or online.
There are a couple of different diameters - make sure you get the right
one.

Old August 23rd 04, 07:24 PM
chris French

In message , gopher bronze
writes
Vivian pibbled:
OK, finally got my tent.

The problem with cycle camping is that there's no battery to blow up the
airbed!

I don't really lie an air bed much when camping anyway, for one thing
it's much colder.

Of course a thermarest doesn't need a pump.
--
Chris French, Leeds
Old August 23rd 04, 09:53 PM
Vivian

Will be using one of those self-inflatable mattresses, which are quite
pricey if you ask me, but am sure worth it, specially when you're having
dodgy back and shoulders!

--
Vivian
-------

Old August 24th 04, 10:41 AM
Chris Davies

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:45:08 +0100, ScumOfTheRoad
wrote:

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 07:18:31 +0000, Brian wrote:

True, but my bike doesn't have braze ons at the seat post, so when I
originally bought the bike I asked that they would fit a rack but they
had
none in stock, and they said that it would mean a new seat clamp.
Besides
I'd rather the bike shop fit it rather than me bodge it up :-/

M-parts seat clamp, costs about a tenner.
It replaces the original seat clamp, and has two threaded holes.
Available at LBSes, or online.
There are a couple of different diameters - make sure you get the right
one.

Most shops should have p-clips, a set will cost about £.50 a pair. Little
plastic coated wire brackets. With them you can fit a standard rack.
Careful with the weight, though.

Chris

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
Old August 25th 04, 12:40 AM
wibble

Will be using one of those self-inflatable mattresses, which are quite
pricey if you ask me, but am sure worth it, specially when you're having
dodgy back and shoulders!

You probably know this but put a few breaths in to make it a little firmer.
Bought one yesterday & it's lovely - takes the bumps and the cold out
without being too soft, and packs down small. Was a (relatively) cheap
imitation thing rather than the branded thermarest which might account for
its less than stunning self inflation.

WTB: Decent 1-man Tent for Bike Camping Tony B UK 38 August 30th 04 10:16 PM
Where to place sleeping bag, tent and sleep roll Kerry Nikolaisen Rides 14 August 18th 04 12:38 AM
Argos tent Robin Norton UK 11 June 21st 04 10:26 PM
Cycle Camping Tent For Sale Not known to me UK 55 May 12th 04 08:34 PM