Info Wanted on Old Vintage Weinmann Rim

Old November 8th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Fritz

Default Info Wanted on Old Vintage Weinmann Rim

Looking for info on this old Rim. It is a Weinmann 27" x 1 1/4 "
36 hole NOS made in Belgium. drilled for a schrader stem. may have
been manufactured in 1976 (stamp inside the rim 7 76). The rim is
Single wall and real thick. Has an embossed brake surface I remember
seeing on my old Rigida rims on my old Peugeot.

http://tinyurl.com/5acbaj
http://tinyurl.com/6dtp9h

Anyone with history of this old rim chime in .

Thanks

Old November 8th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Fritz who? wrote:

Looking for info on this old Rim. It is a Weinmann 27" x 1 1/4 " 36
hole NOS made in Belgium. drilled for a Schrader stem. may have
been manufactured in 1976 (stamp inside the rim 7 76). The rim is
Single wall and real thick. Has an embossed brake surface I
remember seeing on my old Rigida rims on my old Peugeot.

http://tinyurl.com/5acbaj
http://tinyurl.com/6dtp9h

Insterding, so to speak. The swaged spoke sockets effectively avoid
need for steel socket inserts or even eyelets but the straight side
walls instead of hooked bead is too bad because it will not retain
high pressures, but otherwise this rim looks durable.

The brake track texturing may have been added to improve wet braking,
which it won't do, but the big advantage is that it won't squeal until
the high points have been worn off, even before the texture is gone.
Therefore, it's a useless feature except for a demonstration ride on a
bicycle for sale.

Anyone with history of this old rim chime in .

I'm sorry, Ive not seen one of these, especially because at that time
I and all my associates rode tubulars.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 8th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Fritz wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5acbaj
http://tinyurl.com/6dtp9h

Insterding, so to speak. *The swaged spoke sockets effectively avoid
need for steel socket inserts or even eyelets but the straight side
walls instead of hooked bead is too bad because it will not retain
high pressures, but otherwise this rim looks durable.

I have some Araya 20" rims that feature spoke sockets like these. I
can't tell from the picture of the Weinmann rim, but my Arayas have
eyeball-like orientation built into each socket, so that each hole is
not only specific to one hub flange or the other, but also specific to
a leading or trailing spoke. They would not be ideal for radial or
crow's foot lacing.

Chalo
Old November 8th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Nov 8, 4:00 pm, wrote:
Fritz who? wrote:

"Fritz who"? Who cares, Jobst? The guy is asking a question about a
rim, not applying for a mortgage, car loan or a credit card. Who cares
about his full name, etc?

[...]

Fritz was asking for "anyone with a history of this old rim" to "chime
in". You had no such history, but chimed in anyway. Typical.....

Old November 8th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Chalo Colina wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5acbaj
http://tinyurl.com/6dtp9h

Insterding, so to speak. Â*The swaged spoke sockets effectively
avoid need for steel socket inserts or even eyelets but the
straight side walls instead of hooked bead is too bad because it
will not retain high pressures, but otherwise this rim looks
durable.

I have some Araya 20" rims that feature spoke sockets like these. I
can't tell from the picture of the Weinmann rim, but my Arayas have
eyeball-like orientation built into each socket, so that each hole
is not only specific to one hub flange or the other, but also
specific to a leading or trailing spoke. They would not be ideal
for radial or crow's foot lacing.

Nice to know that some rim manufacturers recognize the problem and
offer a solution. Just plugging an eyelet into a double walled
(hollow) rim doesn't do the job of spoke support as well as sockets or
formed spherical dimples.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 8th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:37:30 -0800, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

On Nov 8, 4:00 pm, wrote:
Fritz who? wrote:

"Fritz who"? Who cares, Jobst? The guy is asking a question about a rim,
not applying for a mortgage, car loan or a credit card. Who cares about
his full name, etc?

jobst cares because it's the mechanism by which he tries to sucker people
into a johnson measuring contest and avoid criticism for his mistakes.
without constantly quoting his alma mater, he'd not have any credibility
with the otherwise unable-to-know-if-they're-being-bamboozled proles.

Old November 9th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 22:46:26 +0000, jobst.brandt wrote:

Chalo Colina wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/5acbaj
http://tinyurl.com/6dtp9h

Insterding, so to speak. Â*The swaged spoke sockets effectively avoid
need for steel socket inserts or even eyelets but the straight side
walls instead of hooked bead is too bad because it will not retain
high pressures, but otherwise this rim looks durable.

I have some Araya 20" rims that feature spoke sockets like these. I
can't tell from the picture of the Weinmann rim, but my Arayas have
eyeball-like orientation built into each socket, so that each hole is
not only specific to one hub flange or the other, but also specific to
a leading or trailing spoke. They would not be ideal for radial or
crow's foot lacing.

Nice to know that some rim manufacturers recognize the problem and offer
a solution. Just plugging an eyelet into a double walled (hollow) rim
doesn't do the job of spoke support as well as sockets or formed
spherical dimples.

er, so the thinner metal that results from a pressing like this can bear
more load than the thicker metal from which it originated? i bet boeing
would love to hear about your discovery there jobst - you could save them
a fortune!!! so would all other rim manufacturers come to that.

it's quite incredible that for so many decades, they couldn't have
overlooked all that stupid book learning stuff and have adopted the
practices used in thick cheap crap and used them across their whole
product ranges.

jobst brandt - alternative perspective, aerospace and materials consultant
extraordinaire and global industrial leadership.

Old November 9th 08, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Nov 8, 4:00 pm, wrote:
Fritz who? wrote:

"Fritz who"? Who cares, Jobst? The guy is asking a question about a rim,
not applying for a mortgage, car loan or a credit card. Who cares about
his full name, etc?

jobst cares because it's the mechanism by which he tries to sucker people
into a johnson measuring contest and avoid criticism for his mistakes.
without constantly quoting his alma mater, he'd not have any credibility
with the otherwise unable-to-know-if-they're-being-bamboozled proles.

Heaven forfend his posts were ever judged solely on their merits!

If you didn't know he was Jobst "the Great and Mighty" Brandt, you
might think he was just some self-inflating, self-promoting blowhard.
Old November 9th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

Chalo Colina wrote:

[...]

LOL!!!

jobst brandt - alternative perspective, aerospace and materials consultant
extraordinaire and global industrial leadership.

He is awesome - just ask him!