my ride today

Old November 6th 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default my ride today

On 5 nov, 01:31, Mark Cleary wrote:
I am basically a long distance runner who has moved to riding a bike
about once a week to keep the pounding down. I have in the past and I
wanted to post this for a bit of feedback for someone who is into biking
as this group is most of the time. I have rode bike a Mercier I bought
in July and I love it have about 300 miles on it. I did my longest ride
today it was beautiful day but a little winding from the west. I went
out 14 miles into a side/headwind it about 55 minutes then I turned
around and what a blast. I went for the next 13 miles at a pace around
21 mph on my garmin gps. I find it similar to the feeling I had when I
first ran for over 1 hours straight with no stops. This of course was 25
years ago but now on the bike I enjoy the same feeling. I guess my
question relates to what other do. I rode 27 miles today in 1 hour and
35 minutes and I could basically ride much longer no problems with being
tired or wipe out but going faster with the wind was scary. I find at 25
mph and any sudden gust of wind are a bit of a balance problem and I get
thinking this is fast to me. I also found my neck was a bit sore from
looking around and using my review mirror at times. I was only on county
roads but I hate cars an trucks it is best to be *in deserted rodes for
speed.

I find at 47 my sense of danger in speed is conservative and my balance
is not what it was 20 years ago. I guess I could have easily road 50
miles it some sense although my butt would be sore. I should mention I
did run 9 miles in the morning before this bike ride or it would have
been faster and better. I feel like a lone eagle out on the rode and
would appreciate any thoughts on what someone does for a work out. I
normally ride my bike about 20 miles at a shot once a week but I am
finding I really would need to go for a ride of about 50 miles to see
the limits are what my body responds to.

I started a thread some month ago asking about a Mercier bike and I have
to say it has been great no problems, no flats, I did lub the chain
today for the first time and I noticed a difference.

--

Mark Cleary plays Hollenbeck Jazz Guitars
Handmadehttp://hollenbeckguitar.com/

For a Hollenbeck Jazz guitar player you doing just fine Mark. You are
47 years old. What do you have to prove to whom? Ride a lot, throw
away your speedo meter and enjoy.

Lou
Old November 7th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary

Runners alway want to know or at least be aware of the pace and this
spills over in the bike world. Just to ride around on a bike spinning is
fine but I still like to push things at times and this requires more effort.

Old November 7th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Nov 6, 6:16*am, wrote:
[...]

Lou- Hide quoted text -

He's young! If he wants to improve, the way to do that is to ride
with experienced riders. Find a local cycling club or shop that
sponsors rides for riders of different fitness levels and then work
your way up -- if you want. At a minimum, you will learn how to ride
your bike in a straight line, gear selection, magical equipment
selection (mostly myth and lore) and all those things that others will
share with you whether you want it or not. -- Jay Beattie.
Old November 7th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mark Cleary wrote:

I am basically a long distance runner who has moved to riding a bike
about once a week to keep the pounding down. I have in the past and
I wanted to post this for a bit of feedback for someone who is into
biking as this group is most of the time. I have rode bike a
Mercier I bought in July and I love it have about 300 miles on it.
I did my longest ride today it was beautiful day but a little
winding from the west. I went out 14 miles into a side/headwind it
about 55 minutes then I turned around and what a blast. I went for
the next 13 miles at a pace around 21 mph on my Garmin GPS.

Forget about the MPH and ride whatever pace is comfortable, even if
you push hard enough to be out of breath now and then. Sure, when I
was "young and beautiful", I also rode 25 mile TT's at close to one
hour, so what, I don't do that anymore but I ride the same long scenic
rides I did with my racing pals back then and enjoy them.

I find it similar to the feeling I had when I first ran for over 1
hour straight with no stops. This of course was 25 years ago but
now on the bike I enjoy the same feeling. I guess my question
relates to what other do. I rode 27 miles today in 1 hour and 35
minutes and I could basically ride much longer no problems with
being tired or wipe out but going faster with the wind was scary. I
find at 25 mph and any sudden gust of wind are a bit of a balance
problem and I get thinking this is fast to me. I also found my neck
was a bit sore from looking around and using my review mirror at
times. I was only on county roads but I hate cars an trucks it is
best to be in deserted rodes for speed.

It takes a while to become a bikie physique and to assume just because
you can run well, you ought to ride likewise, is not reasonable in my
perspective. Just for contrast, I can't run worth a darn and don't
care. I enjoy bicycling now for the same reasons I did years ago, and
it doesn't look like running to me.

I find at 47 my sense of danger in speed is conservative and my
balance is not what it was 20 years ago. I guess I could have
easily road 50 miles it some sense although my butt would be sore.
I should mention I did run 9 miles in the morning before this bike
ride or it would have been faster and better. I feel like a lone
eagle out on the rode and would appreciate any thoughts on what
someone does for a work out. I normally ride my bike about 20 miles
at a shot once a week but I am finding I really would need to go for
a ride of about 50 miles to see the limits are what my body responds
to.

That is a feature that I have observed in young and old. If you are
not a natural immortal speed demon in early youth, it probably won't
happen later. I think that explains why some car drivers have
unexpected disasters. Not everyone is a natural Stirling Moss, nor
can they become one. Don't press too hard or you may experience what
you already seem to fear.

I started a thread some month ago asking about a Mercier bike and I
have to say it has been great no problems, no flats, I did lube the
chain today for the first time and I noticed a difference.

There's nothing unique about Mercier bikes, so you should not expect
anything different that other bicycles of that era offer.

Jobst Brandt
Old November 7th 08, 08:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 7 nov, 00:26, Mark Cleary wrote:

wrote:
For a Hollenbeck Jazz guitar player you doing just fine Mark. You are
47 years old. What do you have to prove to whom? Ride a lot, throw
away your speedo meter and enjoy.

Lou-

Runners alway want to know or at least be aware of the pace and this
spills over in the bike world. Just to ride around on a bike spinning is
fine but I still like to push things at times and this requires more effort.

Mark Cleary plays Hollenbeck Jazz Guitars
Handmadehttp://hollenbeckguitar.com/

I'm not talking about spinning or not pushing things from time to
time. At my age and I'm just 4 years older than you, all that racing
seems so pointless and take away a lot off fun for many people who do
so at that age. Mind you I often ride faster then when I was younger
and certainly ride more, but if things don't go well for a while I
don't get nervous anymore and take it as it comes. That is much more
enjoyable. Like someone here said once ' Riding time trials is the
dumbest way to enjoy cycling' .

Lou
Old November 7th 08, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Nov 7, 2:40*am, wrote:

I'm not talking about spinning or not pushing things from time to
time. At my age and I'm just 4 years older than you, all that racing
seems so pointless and take away a lot off fun for many people who do
so at that age. Mind you I often ride faster then when I was younger
and certainly ride more, but if things don't go well for a while I
don't get nervous anymore and take it as it comes. That is much more
enjoyable. Like someone here said once *' Riding time trials is the
dumbest way to enjoy cycling' .

Taking it as it comes is good, but I can see value in pushing
oneself. Time trials included.

I'm in my 60s now. I certainly don't ride as fast as I used to. And
it's more easy than ever for me to see the value of just puttering
along, stopping frequently for pretty views and such. But I think I'm
still reaping the benefits from years of harder riding. I'm healthier
and slimmer than almost all my same-age riding buddies, and I climb
better than all of them.

I think this is because for decades, I pushed myself. I pushed myself
on recreational rides, and on the regular rides home from work. That
included the climb out of the valley. The ride home was (almost) a
time trial. Yeah, it hurt, and I never looked forward to that big
hill; but doing it consistently got me into darn good biking shape.

The other thing I did involved gearing. I don't have to go far to
find 10+% grades, but even though my bikes all have triples, I avoided
the small chainring on regular rides. I grunted and pushed up every
hill even if it required alternately sitting and standing, even if
everybody else shifted to their lowest gear. I think this built my
quads.

The payoff, for me, was the ability to ride greater distances and see
more countryside. And when I was touring, shifting into that granny
gear allowed me to climb anything the terrain threw at me. My legs
were up to it. And not only was I able to sail off on multi-day
camping tours without a lot of worry, I remember a multi-hundred mile
tour to visit my daughter at college, that I was able to finish a full
day ahead of schedule. That meant more time with the kid.

In general, getting into better shape is work, and it sometimes
hurts. But it allows you to enjoy things that most Americans never
experience. My biking shape allows me to enjoy mountain hikes,
kayaking and other things at the drop of a hat. And of course, it
allows me more enjoyment of biking.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 8th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark Cleary

In my 30 years of running and 12 marathons I know how far I have run. It
is not all that important but simply wearing a watch I can figure my
distance in a 7-10 mile run and not be off more than 100 yards. I do
like to just go out an and run but I still keep a log and write
distance, time and a few notes. My conditioning is fine but I don't run
as fast by far as I did 16 years ago. I still have plenty of distance
ability but I need more rest in between and I recover slower. I still
like to go out once in a while an really push a run for 6-10 miles and I
think that mentality is when I bike. May times running we hold back to
recover or run the last 1/2 faster than the first. As runner who never
had great speed I won't be riding a bike at any great speed but I find
the sports very similar with regard to training if you do it seriously.
This does no mean marathon champs will be winning the tour de france but
I guess they could do well on a bike just like great cyclist can usually
run fine. It has nothing do with racing as such I have not run a race in
3 or 4 years but still run seriously I don't call it training at all I
just run.

Still Just Me wrote:
On 07 Nov 2008 03:04:35 GMT, wrote:

Forget about the MPH and ride whatever pace is comfortable, even if
you push hard enough to be out of breath now and then. Sure, when I
was "young and beautiful", I also rode 25 mile TT's at close to one
hour, so what, I don't do that anymore but I ride the same long scenic
rides I did with my racing pals back then and enjoy them.

My philosophy too. If I'm out for exercise, I just push as hard as I
can for the whole ride and that's that. I have a rough idea how far I
am go but I don't really care all that much. The amount of time I
spend riding is more important.

I do the same when I run - rough idea of how far I go, but no exact
measure and I don't check to see when I leave or return.

Still, I continually improve my condition.

BR X ride today jazmo Australia 1 January 28th 07 11:18 AM
RACMOD ride today Claire Petersky General 0 March 15th 06 11:47 PM
I went for a ride today small change Mountain Biking 5 August 3rd 05 01:41 PM
had to ride today ayers General 0 January 16th 05 05:12 PM
Death on ride today Michael Warner Australia 13 August 3rd 04 07:04 AM