Death on ride today

Old August 1st 04, 12:48 PM
Michael Warner

Default Death on ride today

There was a death on our BikeSA ride in the hills today - I was
the first to find the poor chap feeling unwell halfway up a small
hill, complaining of chest pain and nausea, and a few minutes
later he was dead. Despite our CPR and prompt ambulance attendance,
he never regained a pulse or consciousness after collapsing. I won't
identify him, but if you knew him, please accept my condolences, and
assurances that we did everything correctly as quickly as possible.

I was pretty calm while giving CPR, but when it became clear that
the ambos weren't going to save him I went into mild shock - I started
shaking, and got butterflies in the stomach. I can still feel it now, and
would doubtless feel a lot worse if I hadn't been able to do the right
thing on the spot. We certainly didn't feel like continuing with that
leg of the ride.

He was in his late 40s, and pretty fit, but had a blood clot some
weeks ago, I was told, and his arteries were probably in bad shape. The
morals of the story a

- If you haven't done a first aid course lately, do one. You can't imagine
how bad you'd feel if someone died because you didn't know what to do.

- If you're at high medical risk, think about the effect your death would
have on your loved ones before you go on a strenuous ride, even with
others. I guess a quick death while riding isn't a bad way to go, but
there's usually more at stake.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old August 2nd 04, 06:53 AM
just us

Michael, you were fortunate that you at least knew CPR - at least you felt
that you could try to help. I agree with you that CPR should be mandatory in
our schools - forget sex ed!!!! they all know that - teach them CPR instead.
(sorry warped SOH) A freind of ours that we have done many physical things
with (63yr old fit as a fiddle) just up and had a heart attack - no warning
at all. He was lucky in that there was only one blockage, very quickly dealt
with in hospital. Up to that point we would never have thought that this
could have happened to him - he is now back "out there" 2 months later. Good
luck to him - I would hate to see him collapse, but I would hate more to see
him home brooding over life as it was for him "pre heart attack". Maybe this
man who died had that same thought - just wanted to continue life.
Kathy.

Old August 2nd 04, 12:22 PM
atacca

My condolences to his family and friends. I hope it doesn't play on your
mind too much, sounds like you did as much as you could.

First Aid courses are essential, I'm about to do my third and will progress
further. I f every kid can do it through primary/high school and keep one
of those EAR/CPR cards in their wallets hopefully there will almost always
be a least one person who will step forward when needed.

Daniel.

. ..

Old August 2nd 04, 01:20 PM
Graeme

"atacca" wrote in :

First Aid courses are essential, I'm about to do my third and will
progress further.

I've done a fair few over the years, mainly as part of my kayaking
instructor qualifications back in the UK. My wife and I and a few friends
are about to do another one. It is really frightening just how much you can
forget in the course of just a few years. The other night we were
discussing the ratio of breaths to compressions for CPR and neither of us
could say with any certainty that we were right (although the official
"right" ratio does seem to change every so often).

Graeme
Old August 2nd 04, 01:51 PM
Terry Collins

Michael Warner wrote:

....snip....

- If you're at high medical risk, think about the effect your death would
have on your loved ones before you go on a strenuous ride, even with
others. I guess a quick death while riding isn't a bad way to go, but
there's usually more at stake.

I disagree with you comments. Particularly in light of the event. Life
is for living and none of us can be absolutely sure when we are going to
go. That particular person could have sat around for the rest of their
life waiting for that clot to move.
Old August 2nd 04, 02:00 PM
atacca

The other night we were
discussing the ratio of breaths to compressions for CPR and neither of us
could say with any certainty that we were right (although the official
"right" ratio does seem to change every so often).

Graeme

So true. I wonder what the lee way is for the ratios, and if instructors
give trainees some idea of the "right" ratio and the give/take accepted. I
always carry the card around for the ratios, plus a disposable face mask on
my key chain, so I can whip both out and feel fairly secure (hopefully).

Old August 2nd 04, 03:05 PM
Marty Wallace

"Graeme" wrote in message
4.51...
"atacca" wrote in :

First Aid courses are essential, I'm about to do my third and will
progress further.

I've done a fair few over the years, mainly as part of my kayaking
instructor qualifications back in the UK. My wife and I and a few friends
are about to do another one. It is really frightening just how much you

can
forget in the course of just a few years. The other night we were
discussing the ratio of breaths to compressions for CPR and neither of us
could say with any certainty that we were right (although the official
"right" ratio does seem to change every so often).

Graeme

What sort of kayaking do you do Graeme?

We do CPR at work once a year. It's compulsory for us. Everyone at the power
station has to do it.

Marty

Old August 2nd 04, 03:26 PM
Graeme

"atacca" wrote in :

So true. I wonder what the lee way is for the ratios, and if
instructors give trainees some idea of the "right" ratio and the
give/take accepted. I always carry the card around for the ratios,
plus a disposable face mask on my key chain, so I can whip both out
and feel fairly secure (hopefully).

I've got a couple of paramedic friends and they have said to me that if you
can't remember the ratio, don't let it stop you giving CPR as it's better
than sitting back doing nothing. As long as you let the ambos know what
you've been doing when they turn up then they can carry on as needed.

They (and many others) have also said that the chances of reviving someone
with CPR alone are *very* low and that it is mainly used to keep the person
ticking over until the ambos get there with the useful stuff (drugs,
defibrillator etc.)

Graeme

Old August 2nd 04, 03:30 PM
Graeme

"Marty Wallace" wrote in news:410e4976$0$27222
:

What sort of kayaking do you do Graeme?

More "did" than "do" unfortunately. It's one of the things that has got
increasingly sidelined over the years. It was mainly easy white water
(grades 2/3/4) and a bit of canoe polo. I brought my canoe and kayaks over
with me from Scotland when we came over last year, but they've seen little
use. I keep meaning to go along to one of the Perth canoe polo sessions
that are on, but haven't got round to it yet.

Graeme
Old August 2nd 04, 03:51 PM
Marty Wallace

"Graeme" wrote in message
4.51...
"Marty Wallace" wrote in news:410e4976$0$27222
:

What sort of kayaking do you do Graeme?

More "did" than "do" unfortunately. It's one of the things that has got
increasingly sidelined over the years. It was mainly easy white water
(grades 2/3/4) and a bit of canoe polo. I brought my canoe and kayaks over
with me from Scotland when we came over last year, but they've seen little
use. I keep meaning to go along to one of the Perth canoe polo sessions
that are on, but haven't got round to it yet.

Graeme

I'm doing the Avon this weekend as part of a team. I've done the last three
years as a solo and I was going to have a break this year but some friends
needed an extra body to make up a team of four. The water level looks a bit
low but I'm doing the easy stages.

Marty