History of Extreme Unicycling

Old May 17th 07, 01:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

Default History of Extreme Unicycling

So, I've watched George Peck's "Rough terrain unicycling"(thanks, Blue).
I liked it quite a bit. It is historical, but it says nothing about the
history of the sport. He's at the roots, I imagine, so there'd be not
much history before him.

What I was looking for is sort of a timeline of development of the
sport. Like, George Peck being a dot on the left(1983), some more
things to the right, Kris Holm gets that person to machine a splined
hub(some other year), Universe video release in year 19something, etc
and up until 2007. That would be very cool.

--
ivan

Read me! thank you.entropy isn't what it used to be.
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 17th 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

Yes, Circus riders have been riding unicycles on cables for well over
100 years. Now cable riding is pretty extreem! I know that Walter
Nillson crossed the US on a unicycle in the 30's. Also a bunch of
Swedes invented a whole bunch of street and trial moves back in the
80's. during the 80's a few pockets of unicycling developed independly
of each other in different parts of the world. It is kind of like the
Liebnitz Newton debate of who invented the integral!

By the way George Peck is from Seward Alaska. Yes he is a magestrate.

A well written history of our sport with descriptions of the
advancements in the unicycles themselves would be really interesting!

Unicorn

--
Unicorn

Keep your eyes on the stars and your feet on the pedals, and you will
accomplish great feats!
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 20th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

^^^^^^^^^^^^
JF - I'd also like to see this article/timeline. A $60 subscription w/
back issues is too much for me for quite a while I do have issue 1
though

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old May 20th 08, 09:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unicorn

I just got the last issue of UNI magazine and have still not seen an
article about the history of Unicycling. Did you ever finish your
article John?

Unicorn

--

'The Unicycling Commune' (http://tinyurl.com/3xkd8d)
Old May 20th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Uh, no. I had been waffling, as I know it will be a lot of work to try
to get in touch with the faraway people I need to interview (and with
translation for at least one), so all of a sudden I had to get
something in for deadline (about a year ago!) so you instead got a nice
article about the "Tour of Tahoe."

I have to talk to Mike Penton to see what his thoughts are on an Issue
Five.

Early pioneers in the "modern" era of riding offroad and what followed,
in rough order of doing/publicizing it:

John Foss, Michigan (originally)
George Peck, Alaska
Thierry Bouche (spelling may be wrong), France
Duncan Castling, Roger Davies, Mini Mansell, England
Bruce Bundy & David Poznanter, California
Kris Holm, Canada
Dan Heaton, for his films

There are many others of course! The above list is "general MUni." A
Trials list would have to start from Bruce Bundy and continue in the
same order. A Street list would clearly start with Dan Heaton. Anyone
want to discuss, add or refute?

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old May 21st 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
poofengle

Unicycling had its overall start when daredevils riding penny farthings
would try and see how far they could ride without the back wheel
touching the ground. Finally, someone got the idea of chopping the
back wheel off and voilą, the unicycle was born!

This is a penny farthing:
[image: http://www.dkimages.com/discover/pre.../90072215.JPG]

--
poofengle

"Anything not worth doing is worth not doing well. Think about it."
Old May 21st 08, 12:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

poofengle wrote:
Unicycling had its overall start when daredevils riding penny farthings
would try and see how far they could ride without the back wheel
touching the ground. Finally, someone got the idea of chopping the
back wheel off and voilą, the unicycle was born!

This is a penny farthing:
[image: http://www.dkimages.com/discover/pre.../90072215.JPG]

Not really on topic, but it is history

You've really enlightened me!

--
iAmVincent
Old May 21st 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

And those early guys were doing something pretty darn extreme.
Unfortunately we don't know who they were. But if you've ever tried to
pick up one of those bikes you know how heavy they are!

Old May 22nd 08, 01:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

johnfoss wrote:
I have to talk to Mike Penton to see what his thoughts are on an Issue
Five.

We can discuss over a beer or three in Nova Scotia... It's not a
question of when there will be an issue 5, but if you're quick enough
for it

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old May 26th 08, 12:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onebyone

Hey Corban,
What an amazing photo. I have been working on developing wooden spokes
lately
Mal

--
onebyone

Extreme unicycling Peter Amey UK 20 May 13th 07 04:01 PM
extreme unicycling. lurch Unicycling 11 August 14th 06 07:26 PM
Whirl Wheels: Unicycling History in PA podzol Unicycling 2 June 26th 06 09:46 PM
The Weirdest Request in the History of Unicycling? GILD Unicycling 18 February 11th 05 06:50 AM
history of unicycling curious_jen Unicycling 60 February 14th 04 06:26 PM