Backstedt's bike labels

Old August 16th 04, 04:20 AM
Sam

"Faster Bordello" wrote in message
Sonarrat wrote:

in article , Fake name

goes
here at
wrote on 8/15/04 2:25 PM:

In article ,
Jason Spaceman wrote:

Anyone know why Magnus Backstedt had the labels on his Bianchi covered
up during the Olympic road race ---

according to someone who is there...

* no sponsor logos allowed anywhere (helmets, socks, etc)
* bike logos have to be the same ones (number and size) used in retail
bikes

Whoever made those rules does not love the Olympics...

-Sonarrat.

yep I seem to remember that the Telekom Pinerellos were all taped over
at Sydney as well. Silly since tha Olympics are really just a huge
Coke/Mickey D's ad.. at least here in the states.

Look closely there are no ads in the venues themselves. One "job" I had in
Atlanta during the Games was to walk the cycling course (a section of it)
and report any signage that was close to the venue and might get picked up.
Specifically looking for non-Olympic sponsors (think Pepsi) but there are no
ads in the venues themselves. Uniforms can have a logo as long as it does
not exceed some size limitation.

The IOC is very old fashioned about this and is one of the few things I
really like that the IOC does.

Old August 18th 04, 12:04 AM
Faster Bordello

Sam wrote:
"Faster Bordello" wrote in message

Sonarrat wrote:

in article , Fake name

goes

here at
wrote on 8/15/04 2:25 PM:

In article ,
Jason Spaceman wrote:

[...]

Agreed. The 2002 winter games were the same way. There were skiing
events held at Deer Valley (where I work winters) and if I hadn't worked
in the venues prior to and known that's where they were I knew one would
never know where they were cause everything was so sanitised.
Old August 21st 04, 04:24 AM
VINCENTGEE

Anyone know why Magnus Backstedt had the labels on his Bianchi covered
up during the Olympic road race ---
http://grahamwatson.com/gw/imagedocs.nsf/images/04olymenRR/$file/4.jpg

Olympic rules against showing sponsors.

You are allowed two logos TOTAL on the frame and fork. Most went with showing
the downtube decal (two - counting both sides). Those riders (or mechanics) who
covered ALL logos were just doing that so they would not have to worry and not
have to do any last minute logo covering on the start line. And some mechanics
did have to do just that.

They even required covering ALL other words. In the road race they even told me
to cover the rides name on the frame. I thought that was silly.

On Tylers TT bike there are the words "We race for better hearing" or something
like that. I had to cover that too even though it was not really a Sponsor
logo. I forgot to tape over Tylers name decal on his TT bike (I did on his
spare TT bike) and they forgot to ask me about that.

Sad rule as almost everyone already knows what they use. Also sad as it is
pretty ugly with tape all over riders bikes.

A few riders had special bikes made (painted) with the correct logo
requirements.

Gord Fraser had a cool custom painted Giant with Maple Leafs all over it and
the required (only) two (Giant) logos on it. That was cool.