Chang the techno-anarchist

Old August 21st 04, 09:10 AM
Howard Kveck

In article ,
(CowPunk) wrote:

Besides ... Everyone knows there's only 3 things in cowboy country ...
Beers, steers, and queers ...

You took that from Officer and a Gentleman. Expected something little more
original.

It's a butthole surfers song isn't it?
Austin punk band?

I can't recall anything by them with that as a title, or a lyric (though
they do have qute a few songs). "Lonesome Bulldog" (parts 1-4) or maybe
"Cowboy Bob" sorta come close.

--
tanx,
Howard

So far, so good, so what?

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 21st 04, 10:21 AM
Kyle Legate

Sierraman wrote:
"Steven L. Sheffield" wrote in message

Besides ... Everyone knows there's only 3 things in cowboy country
... Beers, steers, and queers ...

You took that from Officer and a Gentleman. Expected something little
more original.

I thought he got it from a Revolting Cocks song. Is that original enough?

Old August 21st 04, 06:30 PM
Jeff Williams

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
From
http://www.latimes.com/technology/la...nes-technology
(free registration required)

Hey, You Need a License to Watch That!
* A sports fan is viewing the Games on Canadian satellite TV. FCC says
he failed to go through the proper channels.

By David Colker, Times Staff Writer

Sitting in front of the TV to watch the Olympics in his Playa del Rey
condo, Elliott Chang looks innocent enough.

But don't be fooled. His TV is tuned to Canada's CBC network, and that
makes Chang an outlaw.

The mild-mannered 48-year-old publicist is one of a stalwart group of
U.S. sports fans who subscribe to a Canadian satellite TV service to get
what Chang says is less jingoistic, more event-oriented coverage of the
Athens games than is offered up by NBC.

Chang put out about $300 for the necessary equipment and pays $26 a
month to the Bell ExpressVu satellite TV service in Toronto.

"I'm not pirating anything," he said this week.

Still, according to the Federal Communications Commission, he's in
violation of a law that prevents couch potatoes in the U.S. from
receiving programs from foreign satellite providers unless they have a
special license to do so.

The process of getting TV from our neighbor to the north is a tad shady.
People have to acquire specially tuned dishes and receivers. They're
available for $100 to $400 each from numerous Internet suppliers,
including Mike Kohl in the innocuous-sounding Plain, Wis. "I fill niche
markets," Kohl said.

The next step is to sign up for service with Bell ExpressVu or
competitor Star Choice. But to do that, a customer must show a valid
address in Canada.

"I don't get involved with that," Kohl said. "But I can refer them."

Several "address brokers" on the Web will provide an address for $25 to
$50 a year.

It's not likely that sports purists like Chang will make it onto
"America's Most Wanted" anytime soon. Neither the FCC nor executives at
the biggest U.S. satellite TV providers — DirecTV Group Inc. and
EchoStar Communications Corp.'s Dish Network — could recall anyone ever
getting cited.

Chang believes his only crime is wanting better TV. "You get a much more
balanced perspective on the world, without all the flag-waving."

Tell it to the judge.

Actually, you could rewrite the article swapping nationalities and
service providers. It's the same darn situation in Canada. Perhaps the
electorates of both countries ought to demand free trade of satellite
services.

UK TV: techno games joe Unicycling 4 December 31st 03 09:18 PM
FS: Vittoria Techno Pro Triathlon tires650x20 kshapiro Marketplace 1 September 3rd 03 02:19 PM