Mountain biking as a way to get back in shape for muni?

Old July 2nd 08, 07:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Default Mountain biking as a way to get back in shape for muni?

...or you could 'make'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60090) a balance
board.

Also you could practice standing/squating on an under inflated squishy
rubber ball like 'this' (http://tinyurl.com/56u6ul). If you want to
focus more on balance than strength raise the air pressure. Any
athletic ball would work but a squishy one like that would improve
strength more.

A great leg strengthening exercise that can be done anywhere is 'pistol
squats' (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=MLBAbqEZIeU). To reduce
potential stress on your knee, keep your leg and upper body as far
forward as possible (eg. leg streight and hold onto toes). If that's
too easy close one or even both eyes, or do it on any of the
contraptions previously mentioned.

Getting good at doing any of these on one foot aught to improve awkward
pedal grabs, as well as a bunch of other stuff.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old July 2nd 08, 12:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JohnnyReggae

I reckon the best way to get into shape for MUni is just to get out
there on your MUni and go for it.

--
JohnnyReggae

"Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere
And build them a home, a little place of their own.
The Fletcher Memorial Home for Incurable Tyrants and Kings."
Old July 2nd 08, 02:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Goats_On_Unicycles

Well, you see, I don't have a muni right now... otherwise I'd be on it.

Thanks again for the advice peoples!

--
Goats_On_Unicycles

-Incubate now. Hatch later.-

What's brown and
sticky?
a stick.
Protect your right to arm bears.

If you don't support gay marriage, you don't have to marry
me.
Old July 5th 08, 11:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
critter

Here's another

Running steps or stairs is great.
Find some fun ones(unlike enclosed stairwells). I like to skip a step
for a deeper burn. Going up is the best. The going down part is/can be
hard on the knees. At the hospital where I work I would run up the
stairs and take the elevator on the downs.

Also for the downs: hop down the steps like skiing moguls. Getting a
good squat, twist your hips side to side with the shoulders staying
inline and square. Love this one.

PS stairwells do have good acoustics

--
critter

MUni! The closest I'll ever get to bull riding!
Old July 6th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
poofengle

Near my house there's a bmx track and I love going there to work out and
have fun. Since the track's not angled downhill and there's jumps to go
over and everything, it's real good for your legs and balance. I've
found that after just a couple visits there I get in alot better shape
legwise. So if you happen to have a bmx track around where you live I'd
definitely recommend trying it out.

--
poofengle

"Anything not worth doing is worth not doing well. Think about it."

Mountain biking as a way to get back in shape for muni? Goats_On_Unicycles Unicycling 5 July 1st 08 04:45 PM
Mountain Bikers Rat Pack & Threaten Woman for Telling the Truth about Mountain Biking! Mike Vandeman Social Issues 2 April 2nd 08 05:12 PM
Getting back into shape Eric General 14 August 14th 06 07:09 PM
Getting back into Mountain Biking Tom The Great Mountain Biking 5 April 23rd 06 02:52 PM
Mountain Biking Video -- See What Mountain Biking Is Really Like! Peter Mountain Biking 0 March 25th 05 10:56 PM