was the men's TT on TV?

Old August 20th 04, 07:40 AM
Sonarrat

in article , warren at
wrote on 8/19/04 9:47 PM:

In article , Sonarrat
wrote:

in article
, keydates at
wrote on 8/19/04 7:58 AM:

All it showed were Hamilton vs. Ekimov's split and finishing times and
Julich setting off (maybe a little more on Julich). I suppose those
are the important parts, but it still sucked.

Of course they aren't the important parts! If NBC wanted to capitalize on
the popularity of the Tour de France using only the 5-10 minutes they had
available, and I'm sure someone in the ranks did, they should have done a
lot better.

First and foremost, the viewer should never have been left wondering WTF was
going on. A simple acknowledgement of their time constraints, and a brief
explanation of the lay of the coverage while explaining that it was an
all-day event, would have sufficed. A mention of the part the time-trial
plays in cycling would also be great.

They should have shown Jan Ullrich, Alexandre Vinokourov, Santiago Botero,
Serguei Honchar, Igor Gonzalez de Galdeano, Michael Rogers, Michael Rich,
and a few other key players, briefly placing them in proper context for the
newbies by listing a result or two.

If they had done that, they could have fit their coverage into a perfect 10
minutes, the public would be satisfied and we would be salivating for more
NBC coverage. Instead we got the worst hatchet job of the entire Olympics,
though the event is still young. I'm going to watch the MSNBC coverage now,
I hope it's better...

MSNBC at Midnight provided ample coverage of the Men's TT, and followed
with the medal ceremony, National Anthem, and later, an in-studio
interview with Tyler.

It was a vast improvement.

Next week you can expect to see far more coverage of the track cycling
on Bravo than you will on NBC during prime time (reserved primarily for
track and field next week).

-WG

I'm looking forward to this. I've watched Olympic track cycling before, but
as a disinterested outsider, and now that I've gotten more in-depth into the
sport, the track may hook me... (I will never amount to much more than a
spectator though, my heart's not in riding)

-Sonarrat.

Old August 20th 04, 09:18 AM
Donald Munro

Davide Tosi wrote:
keep on shouting, thinking that if you
shout a lie 1000 times always louder, people will start thinking that's the
truth.

It worked for Boy George.

Old August 20th 04, 05:39 PM
Marlene Blanshay

"warren" wrote in message
In article , Sonarrat
wrote:

[...]

THe thing about track cycling is that the events aren't as long as road
events, except maybe the madison, but even that doesn't go on for five or
six hours. Also, I don't think they do the madison in the olympics, or am I
wrong? THe time trials are a long event, comparitively, but I did see some
this morning on radio-canada.

We also get RFO, a french network that broadcasts shows from french-speaking
countries, and they also show France 3 which of course has olympics. During
the winter olympics, they showed hockey games that weren't being aired on
the other networks, so it was kind of neat to see france v. switzerland, or
kazakhtstan, since you knew they'd be eliminated.

Old August 20th 04, 06:09 PM
keydates

There is a madison in the Olympics

--
keydates

Old August 21st 04, 01:19 PM

(Davide Tosi) writes:

Viva Burlusconi

RAI is the publicly owned tv, not a part of Berlusconi's network.

As in Owned by the People? Or controlled by the felon, Burlusconi?

You are the felon, the liar, the Simeoni of rbr.

I musta missed something along the way. The bit where the BBC retracted their
numerous derogatory leading articles after Burlusconi brought a suit for
defamation, libel and slander.

Maybe you could smarten me up and kindly refer me to that item?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/despatches/49203.stm

Pasta la vista, baby.

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett