polarized sunglasses

Old November 8th 04, 12:37 AM

Sam Huffman writes:

In low-light conditions with my prescription polarized sunglasses I
frequently do not see small obstructions or slick spots on the road
until I am on top of them.

As I mentioned previously, polarized glasses do not work well for
bicycling (or driving in general) because glare is one means by which
objects of interest are recognized. My first use of polarized glasses
occurred on a sunny morning after rain in a mountain descent with
hairpin turns that traversed in all directions so the sun came from
different directions. Sub glass polarization is oriented to filter
out horizontal glare, that which reflects from horizontal surfaces.

I found striking that I could not distinguish dry from wet pavement
because the rules constantly changed, glare (only) in the horizontal
plane being filtered out. This was on a partly forested road so that
parts were still fully wet while others were dry. In places, the two
could not be distinguished, because some had light reflected from the
blue sky and others from direct sunlight.

I was impressed with how disorienting a pair of simple sun glasses
could make a task that otherwise was trivial. I don't believe
polarized glasses have any place in bicycling (or motorcycling). I
also believe that people use such glasses, never questioning their
usefulness and possibly become worse descenders while wearing them.

Jobst Brandt

Old November 8th 04, 01:22 AM
Matt O'Toole

Sam Huffman wrote:

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 22:30:21 -0800, Diablo Scott
wrote in message
1099809020.n6nT7mXIwdIAPJz7BJ5dPw@teranews:

Polarized glasses can also eliminate glare that you should see for
safety - like water on the road. You won't see any cycling specific
sunglasses with polarized lenses.

Not so. I have Rudy Project Kerosenes with polarised lenses. They
are pretty good, especially when the sun is low in the sky.

Guy

In low-light conditions with my prescription polarized sunglasses I
frequently do not see small obstructions or slick spots on the road
until I am on top of them.

In my experience, polarized sunglasses are great for activities where
you want to avoid large amounts of glare, such as skiing or
watersports. However for cycling, reflected light often indicates
something that you need to be aware of, and masking it out is a
mistake.

I agree. I found it hard to tell where the ice was when driving in the
mountains in winter (talk about glare), so I don't use them for anything but
sailing anymore. Even then, it makes it harder to read the wind on the water.
Also, it's harder for my eyes to adjust after taking them off, compared to
regular lenses.

Matt O.

Old November 8th 04, 01:33 AM
Sam Huffman

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 13:11:01 -0800, Sam Huffman
wrote in message :

In low-light conditions with my prescription polarized sunglasses I
frequently do not see small obstructions or slick spots on the road
until I am on top of them.

I don't wear sunglasses in low light conditions. Are you dressed in
black, perchance? ;-)

No, dressed mostly in reflective clothing. But there have been plenty of
rides where I wind up riding further than expected. Unless it's very
dark, I can see fine with sunglasses on. Certainly better than without
prescription lenses, anyway.

Sam
Old November 8th 04, 01:33 AM

Sam Huffman writes:

In low-light conditions with my prescription polarized sunglasses I
frequently do not see small obstructions or slick spots on the road
until I am on top of them.

As I mentioned previously, polarized glasses do not work well for
bicycling (or driving in general) because glare is one means by which
objects of interest are recognized. My first use of polarized glasses
occurred on a sunny morning after rain in a mountain descent with
hairpin turns that traversed in all directions so the sun came from
Different directions. Polarization in sunglasses is horizontally
oriented to block horizontal glare, that which reflects from

Old November 8th 04, 11:42 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 17:33:27 -0800, Sam Huffman
wrote:

I don't wear sunglasses in low light conditions. Are you dressed in
black, perchance? ;-)

No, dressed mostly in reflective clothing. But there have been plenty of
rides where I wind up riding further than expected. Unless it's very
dark, I can see fine with sunglasses on. Certainly better than without
prescription lenses, anyway.

Tcah! MiB reference clearly wasted there.

I use Rudy Project Kerosenes and have clear, smoked and polarised
lenses. I can see where JObst is coming from - where he comes from
bright sun and ice can happen together - but I live in temperate
climes and haven't had a problem. I like polarised bins because I
only have one working eye, so the "close one eye" technique for
managing temporary light overload is rather sub-optimal in my case.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 9th 04, 04:21 PM
Robert Masse

wrote in message :

In low-light conditions with my prescription polarized sunglasses I
frequently do not see small obstructions or slick spots on the road
until I am on top of them.

I don't wear sunglasses in low light conditions. Are you dressed in
black, perchance? ;-)

Guy

I received a Performance Catalogue last month that was hyping their
light system for fall riding. On the cover the rider was riding in
the dark with his new 10 watt headlight and he was wearing sunglasses.
What a hoot.

Old November 10th 04, 02:52 AM
Michael J. Klein

wrote:

I don't wear sunglasses in low light conditions. Are you dressed in
black, perchance? ;-)

No, dressed mostly in reflective clothing. But there have been plenty of
rides where I wind up riding further than expected. Unless it's very
dark, I can see fine with sunglasses on. Certainly better than without
prescription lenses, anyway.

Tcah! MiB reference clearly wasted there.

I use Rudy Project Kerosenes and have clear, smoked and polarised
lenses. I can see where JObst is coming from - where he comes from
bright sun and ice can happen together - but I live in temperate
climes and haven't had a problem. I like polarised bins because I
only have one working eye, so the "close one eye" technique for
managing temporary light overload is rather sub-optimal in my case.

My eyes have adjusted to this planet and hence I have no need for
sunglasses, ever.

Michael J. Klein
Dasi Jen, Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
Old November 10th 04, 05:18 AM
Terry Morse

Michael J. Klein wrote:

My eyes have adjusted to this planet and hence I have no need for
sunglasses, ever.

You have adapted some new form of UV blocking eyeballs? Cool. Lamark
would be pleased to know that.
Old November 10th 04, 05:49 AM
Ben Pfaff

Terry Morse writes:

Michael J. Klein wrote:

My eyes have adjusted to this planet and hence I have no need for
sunglasses, ever.

You have adapted some new form of UV blocking eyeballs? Cool. Lamark
would be pleased to know that.

Can contact lenses filter UV?
--
Ben Pfaff
email:
Old November 10th 04, 03:52 PM
Terry Morse

Ben Pfaff wrote:

Can contact lenses filter UV?

Yes, you can buy UV protective contact lenses. But they only protect
the cornea. Getting a sunburn on the whites of your eyes is very
unpleasant, feeling as if there is sand in your eyes:

"V-absorbing contact lenses are NOT substitutes for protective
UV-absorbing eyewear such as UV-absorbing goggles or sunglasses,
because they do not completely cover the eye and surrounding area."

99 Sunglasses - wired. Badger_South General 16 October 26th 04 05:05 PM
Sunglasses w/Rx insert Fred Hall General 33 June 27th 04 07:47 PM
Sunglasses for cycling Graeme UK 16 February 21st 04 09:12 AM
FS Rudy Project Sunglasses and Lens (UK) David Hart UK 2 February 13th 04 07:51 PM
Oakley Sunglasses Caliban General 4 October 16th 03 09:07 PM