Replacing tires, mountain bike

Old November 12th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Kathy

Default Replacing tires, mountain bike

I inherited a mountain bike from my son (Raleigh Teton 1986) and I would
like to

be able to use it just for exercising in the street (concrete, asphalt and
occasionally

gravel) and I need to replace the worn tires. The ones that I found seem to
have rough

treading for rough terrain but I would prefer tires that give me a smooth
ride.

Could I replace the originals with a set of tires that are a bit smother?

By the way, the tire are 26 x 2.125

Any suggestion where could I get them? Online or I am in South Florida.

Thank you in advance

Kathy

Old November 12th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tom

Kathy wrote:
I inherited a mountain bike from my son (Raleigh Teton 1986) and I would
like to

be able to use it just for exercising in the street (concrete, asphalt and
occasionally

gravel) and I need to replace the worn tires. The ones that I found seem to
have rough

treading for rough terrain but I would prefer tires that give me a smooth
ride.

Could I replace the originals with a set of tires that are a bit smother?

By the way, the tire are 26 x 2.125

Any suggestion where could I get them? Online or I am in South Florida.

Thank you in advance

Kathy

The amount of air you put in the tires controls the ride much more than
the tread design. You can get the tires at Target or Wal-Mart.
Old November 17th 09, 04:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
terryc

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:19:47 -0500, Kathy wrote:

I inherited a mountain bike from my son
and I need to replace the worn tires.

Could I replace the originals with a set of tires that are a bit
smother?

Just look for something with a continuous central flat ridge line. Much
smoother and quieter. YMMV, but you might have to look around a bit.

By the way, the tire are 26 x 2.125

That is a lot of rubber/nylon and air to revolve, not to mention arm
action in pumping them up. Come down to a 26x 1.75