Opinions on Hayes HMX-1 Mechanical Disc Brakes?

Old June 26th 03, 11:55 AM
David L

Default Opinions on Hayes HMX-1 Mechanical Disc Brakes?

Anyone here fun the, or have any opinions on them, there selling cheap on
jensonusa.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all Hayes disc breaks mount directly to Manitou
forks, such as my Black?

Would anyone have a website that explains mounting...

TIA,

Dave

Old June 26th 03, 06:05 PM
David Kunz

David L wrote:
Anyone here fun the, or have any opinions on them, there selling cheap on
jensonusa.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all Hayes disc breaks mount directly to Manitou
forks, such as my Black?

Would anyone have a website that explains mounting...

Been running a pair on my Jekyll for 1-1/2 years now. Working VERY
well! My only complaint is that they have a tendency to squeel if they
get any contamination (oil) on the rotor (mud'll fix it ). Although
the Hayes pads are good, I prefer EBC green -- they have less of a
tendency to squeel.

They require that you have v-brake levers already. I'm using XTR combo
levers (with the rapid-fire shifter pods).

They mount by getting the correct adapter bridge for the caliper to
mount to your fork. I don't know which one takes no adapter.

David

Old June 27th 03, 12:12 AM
Nelson Binch

"David L" wrote in message
| Anyone here fun the, or have any opinions on them, there selling cheap on
| jensonusa.
|
| Correct me if I'm wrong but all Hayes disc breaks mount directly to
Manitou
| forks, such as my Black?
|
| Would anyone have a website that explains mounting...
|
| TIA,
|
| Dave

Held them in my hands for the very first time today (they are on the 04
Giant Yukon - for the money an Ultra-Fantastic machine!) and they are
virtually identical to the Avid mechanicals and set up exactly the same way.
In fact, I like these a bit better, with the cable routing and such. I went
by the instruction sheet just to be sure the first time through, but they
can be set up in your sleep.

NOW HERE THIS --- "GROUNDCONTROL" SAYS:

I wish I had disk brake mounts on my MTB to mount these. Yes, I now want
disk brakes.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,