RR: Colorado Trail (Part 3)

Old June 29th 08, 06:10 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Corvus Corvax

Default RR: Colorado Trail (Part 3)

Day 3: A bivouac in Hell

The Hayman fire in 2002 was the largest fire in Colorado history,
burning 140,000 acres of forest and destroying 133 homes. I have been
in old burn zones many times before, but nothing in my experience has
prepared me for the scale of this. It is a ruined landscape which
stretches in a shadeless expanse from horizon to horizon. I feel like
I am riding alone into Mordor. The hair on the back of my neck stands
up, and I again begin to feel the empty pang of fear in my gut. There
is no way to go but forward. There is nothing between here and Route
77 in South Park, easily another 25 miles across very rugged country.
According to my information, there are two sources of water: a creek
crossing early on, then nothing until the Goose Creek campground,
which was destroyed in the fire and has been closed by the Forest
Service. The plan is to traverse the wasted land in one go, more than
a 35 mile day which takes over a second 8,000 foot pass into South
Park. As I cross the low hills in the burned-out valley, I am not sure
I am going to make it.

I am traveling on groomed fire roads, but this is a deceptive fact.
Deep gravel and a persistent washboard surface make for slow going. My
earlier confidence starts to wane. It is impossible to feel
comfortable in this place. I make the first stream crossing and opt to
keep going without a refill on my water supply. I need to get moving.
I am making lousy time, in part because I am constantly stopping and
gawking and taking pictures. The landscape is spooky and weird and
scary. I am not eating enough, but I do not yet realize this: I have
packed a 3,000 calorie per day diet, but I am depending on a steady
intake of trail mix to stave off bonk. The hills get bigger, and the
road begins a series of switchback climbs and descents through the
valley. My energy begins to quickly drain. It is a cool day, about 50
Fahrenheit. My clothes are soaked with sweat from the climbs, and I
freeze on the descents. I should be adjusting my layering at each peak
and trough, but it is annoying to fuss with gear so often, and I try
for a happy medium, which doesn't work very well. I am half
hypothermic and soaking wet, with sweat dripping from my chin and my
nose onto my handlebars. I am also well into a bonk, but my brain is
too addled to realize it. I reach a road intersection and nearly make
a tragic error, thinking I need to turn right when the real route is
to the left. Luckily, I force myself to double-check with map and GPS,
and I correct the mistake before I make it. My brain is not working
right. Things only deteriorate from there. The low thrum of the wind
in the valley of burned trees starts to **** with my head. It is
tragic and empty and deeply lonely, like ten thousand Ground Zeros
laid side-by-side, and I pedal through the valley, weeping and
shivering.

The road begins to steadily climb through a series of steepening
switchbacks, and I am in trouble. I have a dozen miles of climbing to
make the pass, and I dismount and push the bike on the slightest
incline, marching beside the bike, head down, sweat dripping onto the
dry gravel. I am only semi-coherent. My Camelbak is dry, and I begin
to work through the reserve in my water bottles. I decide I have to
make it to at least Goose Creek before I stop for lunch. The next few
miles of travel are ones of hallucinatory suffering, until at long
last I cross the bridge over Goose Creek and turn onto the small side
road which descends to the water.

There, like a mirage in the desert, is a small stand of green trees by
the creekside, and a tidy campground, wisps of smoke rising from the
morning fires beside neatly pitched tents. This is not supposed to be
here, and I wonder for a moment if I am hallucinating it. I stumble up
to a picnic table and begin wolfing down Sopressata and Gouda and
gorp. The campground host, an unkempt fellow with a white beard,
appears in short order and begins demanding money. One truly annoying
feature of Colorado Forest Service campgrounds is that they have
contracted management out to a private company, evidently with
instructions to maximize profit through the imposition of "day use"
fees, which essentially mean that if you stop and sit for twenty
minutes at a picnic table, or God Forbid use the outhouse, they charge
you four bucks. I try to explain that everything is fine, I'll pay the
fee, but can I please just finish my cheese and sausage? He is finally
mollified when I tell him I am staying the night, and will get him the
overnight fee in a little while.

I stop for the night in the tiny, beautiful grove by the banks of the
rushing creek, surrounded on all sides by destruction.

[... to be continued ...]
Old June 29th 08, 09:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:10:06 -0700 (PDT), Corvus Corvax
wrote:

Day 3: A bivouac in Hell

The Hayman fire in 2002 was the largest fire in Colorado history,
burning 140,000 acres of forest

Almost as big as the area destroyed by mountain biking via
trailbuilding and extreme wreck-reation.

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 30th 08, 12:34 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Siskuwihane[_2_]

wrote:
Day 3: A bivouac in Hell

The Hayman fire in 2002 was the largest fire in Colorado history,
burning 140,000 acres of forest

Almost as big as the area destroyed by mountain biking via
trailbuilding and extreme wreck-reation.

Please provide a cite for that stat.
Old June 30th 08, 05:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

wrote:
Day 3: A bivouac in Hell

The Hayman fire in 2002 was the largest fire in Colorado history,
burning 140,000 acres of forest

Almost as big as the area destroyed by mountain biking via
trailbuilding and extreme wreck-reation.

Please provide a cite for that stat.

Does the exact number really matter? We know it's A LOT!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old June 30th 08, 11:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
kayak44

wrote:
Day 3: A bivouac in Hell

The Hayman fire in 2002 was the largest fire in Colorado history,
burning 140,000 acres of forest

Almost as big as the area destroyed by mountain biking via
trailbuilding and extreme wreck-reation.

Please provide a cite for that stat.

Does the exact number really matter? We know it's A LOT!

Yes, when you are stating it as fact, then the exact number does
matter, otherwise you are LYING.