Usk WA to Sandpoint ID (USA) route advice sought

Old July 18th 09, 05:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Claire

Default Usk WA to Sandpoint ID (USA) route advice sought

On this summer's unsupported tour, we'll be riding from the bustling
metropolis of Usk (in Washington State) to Sandpoint Idaho. We could
go on the south side of the river, or the north side. Newport WA is a
likely lunch spot for us, so we can cross the river there as needed.
Which is the better route?

Using Google street view (what a resource! OMG!) I can see that US 2
has pretty decent shoulders from Newport to Sandpoint. Old Priest
River Road on the south side is not visible with street view. And both
sides of the river - Hwy 20 or LeClerc Road - from Usk to Newport are
not on Google street view either.

Do you have tires-on-the-road experience with either route?

Claire Petersky

http://www.bicyclemeditations.org
Old July 19th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
recycled[_2_]

"Claire" wrote in message
On this summer's unsupported tour, we'll be riding from the bustling
metropolis of Usk (in Washington State) to Sandpoint Idaho. We could
go on the south side of the river, or the north side. Newport WA is a
likely lunch spot for us, so we can cross the river there as needed.
Which is the better route?

Using Google street view (what a resource! OMG!) I can see that US 2
has pretty decent shoulders from Newport to Sandpoint. Old Priest
River Road on the south side is not visible with street view. And both
sides of the river - Hwy 20 or LeClerc Road - from Usk to Newport are
not on Google street view either.

Do you have tires-on-the-road experience with either route?

No help with the route but I'm having trouble remembering how people
managed before Google Maps.

Old July 19th 09, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Claire writes:
On this summer's unsupported tour, we'll be riding from the bustling
metropolis of Usk (in Washington State) to Sandpoint Idaho. We could
go on the south side of the river, or the north side. Newport WA is a
likely lunch spot for us, so we can cross the river there as needed.
Which is the better route?

Using Google street view (what a resource! OMG!) I can see that US 2
has pretty decent shoulders from Newport to Sandpoint. Old Priest
River Road on the south side is not visible with street view. And both
sides of the river - Hwy 20 or LeClerc Road - from Usk to Newport are
not on Google street view either.

Do you have tires-on-the-road experience with either route?

I'm afraid I don't. But, besides dealing with traffic, it
seems to me that when out in the PNW boondocks, one also
has to consider dealing with wild critters, especially
cougars. So a somewhat busier highway might be preferable,
since one is less likely to suffer wildlife encounters.

Gas stations that sell fishing bait also seem to be the ones
that provide free ice.

I'd opt for the route that has the most roadside amenities.
I wish I could tell you which route that is, but I'm afraid
I just don't know.

Maybe some real, hard-copy maps supplemented by on-line info
would help you.

I do like the idea of riding to Idaho, 'cuz nobody ever
does that. Maybe Idaho has more going for it than spuds.
I know a lot of mining has gone on there, especially around
Couere d'Alene. The other side of the Columbia River.
A part of The BreadBasket of America.

I "get" that Idaho is secretly and demurely beautiful.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:

Old July 21st 09, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Hank

On Jul 18, 9:17*am, Claire wrote:
On this summer's unsupported tour, we'll be riding from the bustling
metropolis of Usk (in Washington State) to Sandpoint Idaho. We could
go on the south side of the river, or the north side. Newport WA is a
likely lunch spot for us, so we can cross the river there as needed.
Which is the better route?

Using Google street view (what a resource! OMG!) I can see that US 2
has pretty decent shoulders from Newport to Sandpoint. Old Priest
River Road on the south side is not visible with street view. And both
sides of the river - Hwy 20 or LeClerc Road - from Usk to Newport are
not on Google street view either.

Do you have tires-on-the-road experience with either route?

Claire Petersky

IIRC, that's part of Adventure Cycling's Northern Tier TransAm route.
I'll see if I can find my map of that and see how they route it. I
rode from Anacortes to Omak two summers ago, and am planning on
picking it up again this fall, to finish the cross-state tour.
Old July 21st 09, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.misc
Hank

On Jul 21, 6:12*am, Hank wrote:
On Jul 18, 9:17*am, Claire wrote:

[...]

picking it up again this fall, to finish the cross-state tour.- Hide quoted text -

OK, found my map. Adventure Cycling picks LaClerc Rd, on the east/
north side of the river, Take that over the state line into Oldtown,
then take a right on Hwy2 and cross the river back into Newport. Take
a left onto IDSR41, go back into Oldtown, and take Old Priest River
Road, which becomes DuFort Road. When that reaches US95, turn left/
north, and when you get to Sagle, there's a bike path that parallels
US95 all the way into Sandpoint.

Looks like about 52 miles, mostly flat. Looks like a nice ride! I may
have to extend my tour to Sandpoint, to finish the map, rather than
just the state.