75 miles on a 75 year old bike by a 75 year old

Old August 25th 11, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default 75 miles on a 75 year old bike by a 75 year old

"A LIFELONG cyclist has set himself a unique challenge in the name of
charity. Derek Browne will cycle 75 miles at the age of 75 on a 75-
year-old bike. The intrepid rider will embark on his feat at Norland
Moor on Sunday August 28 to raise money for Asthma UK – a condition
which he and his daughter suffers from.

Mr Browne, of Eskdale Avenue, Shelf, is a member of the Bygone Bykes
Yorkshire Club. He has set himself a few challenges over the years –
including riding 100 miles at the age of 70, and 200 miles at the age
of 60, but never on an old bike. He said: “Riding on a 1930s bike is
unusual and will be quite an achievement – the gears, the comfort,
everything really.

“It’s opened my eyes completely to how riding the early races, like
Tour De France, on bikes like this would have been for the riders.”

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news...erek_1_3706175

--
Simon Mason
Old September 5th 11, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
"A LIFELONG cyclist has set himself a unique challenge in the name of
charity. Derek Browne will cycle 75 miles at the age of 75 on a 75-
year-old bike.
----------------------------
He made it! What an inpiration.

QUOTE:
"Mr Browne, of Eskdale Avenue, Shelf, said: “Conditions were appalling on
the day. I had previously been up and done 60 miles, getting ready for it,
quite comfortably. But on the day it was raining with gale force winds all
day long. “But I had a lot of support. I was never ever riding on my own
which helped because otherwise it would have been very difficult breaking
that head wind on my own.”

Riders from Mr Browne’s club, Bygone Bikes, helped as well as from Halifax
Imperial Wheelers, Condor Road Club and Calder Autumn Tints. Colin Chapman,
from Calder Autumn Tints rode the entire way with Mr Browne, apart from the
first three laps. He finished the ride with Mr Browne, along with Paul
Gower, of Condor Bike Club, who also rode much of the way.

Mr Browne said: “The other riders really were a big help.” The superfit
cyclist has completed other feats on past birthday milestones – riding 200
miles when he was 60 and 100 miles when he was 70. But none of his previous
challenges was on a 75-year-old bike.

“This was by far and away the hardest, riding the old bike. I went out a few
days after on a modern bike and if felt like it was weightless.”

The ride raised more than £800 for Asthma UK.

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news... ek_1_3743383

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/