ARBR has gone downhill

Old December 13th 03, 05:39 AM
skip

Default ARBR has gone downhill

Ah. Sherman is afield. Glad to hear he's not serving as a human shield for
some insurgent group in I**q. That would have been just too vacuous for
words.

"skip"

"harv" wrote in message
Actually, I think Tom has to go afield in his capacity as a civil

engineer.
I don't think he'd back away from electronic brickbats and a surly mob of
newsgroupies wielding smoky torches and wooden pitchforks. However for him
to waste his intellect trying to persuade E.D.that his aguments are

vacuous
is like King Arthur trying to convince the Black Knight that his wounds

are
mortal. (sketch in Monty Python's The Holy Grail).

Old December 13th 03, 05:40 AM
Tom Sherman

Porquer Torquer wrote:
Tom Sherman, for one, posts many liberal OT posts.

Horrors! We must find out where Tom lives! Where'd I put my torch and
pitchfork from the good ole brownshirt days?!?!?!...

These days I am mostly staying in motels in the far west Chicago
suburbs. I did spend a couple of days recently at the Elgin Mental
Health Center, however. [1]

[1] Work related - sorry to disappoint those who were hoping I had been
declared criminally insane.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 13th 03, 05:51 AM
Tom Sherman

derek wrote:
A sure sign that this group has gone to the dogs is the fact that all
the women have been chased off. Or anyone with any level of sensibility
for that matter. I remember the good old days when there were posts
by the likes of Beth, or Marci, or Melanie, and I am sure I am leaving
out others. I miss folks with a good sense of humor like Scott, or
those that have a passion for cycling and broad experience and the
ability to express themselves beautifully like Kent Peterson....

Beth went to the dogs (a Google search reveals recent posts by her on
rec.pets.dogs.behavior). Marci has posted recently. Melanie disappeared
from a.r.b.r. long before most of the OT flamewars started (and shortly
after purchasing a Longbikes Eliminator and finding the performance to
be somewhat disappointing compared to her Lightning Stealth).

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 13th 03, 05:56 AM
Tom Sherman

Rocketman wrote:
... I'm warning you, Ed Dolan! I know where you live!...

So do I, and I will avoid the area like George W. Bush avoided Air
National Guard bases during his last year of enrollment in that service.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 13th 03, 06:00 AM
Tom Sherman

Kurt Fischer wrote:
... These OT-posts
attract attention because we are all human beings after all, it's kind
of an ambivalent dilemma: On the one hand we feel we should stay away
from this threads, but on the other they are corresponding to our
lowest instincts. Many of us stare fascinated at you and your
counterparts awaiting eagerly the next sensations of your political
mud-wrestling....

Some of us just feel a need to correct misinformation.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 13th 03, 06:14 AM
Tom Sherman

Kurt Fischer wrote:
The world of recumbency is growing fast, new models every year, they
become more and more affordable and trikes are gaining rapidly. One
should think there are subjects enough to discuss without the need for
digressing to political themes....

There are some who have stated that postings on recumbent trikes are
off-topic and not a proper subject for discussion on
alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Blue Earth Cycles Dragonflyer
Old December 13th 03, 06:22 AM
Tom Sherman

Kurt Fischer wrote:
That's a very wise decision. Let's hope your intention will survive the
next Sunset. ;-)

I care not for Mr. Dolan's intentions, but I plan to keep on posting
about my Sunset [1]. It is on-topic, after all.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Red Earth Cycles Sunset Lowracer [TM]

[1] http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/sunset/Sunset001.jpg
Old December 13th 03, 06:37 AM
Tom Sherman

Consider the case of Mr V. Somebody who values untainted wilderness
might find his ideas interesting. But he is generally considered a
nuisance, and people don't really pay attention to his message. They
just tell him to go away or refute him in abusive turns of speech. (The
best tactic would be to ignore, of course, he wouldn't really listen
either.) Do you think Mr. V is ok? His cause doesn't even matter, it's
just simply wrong what he is doing.

Mr. V's tactics reputedly go beyond Usenet postings. He has reportedly
engaged in such tactics as "email bombing" listserves, forging emails
using others email addresses (in a attempt to get them kicked off their
ISP or in the case of work email addresses, disciplined at work) and
other foul play. If these allegations are true, it would explain why Mr.
V is so hated on Usenet.

: Don't ever go to a newsgroup for friendship! Even when you think you
: have found it, it is an illusion. This is cyberspace and it is for the
: exchange of words only. There is reality and then there is the
: Internet. Don't ever confuse the two.

Not sound advice, IMHO. Bent riders can be friends online, and
more so IRL. I have found bent riders to be a very nice
international community, like a big family. People will help
others in need and stick together for mutual gain....

I know over 10 recumbent riders [1] in person who I first "met" through
online discussion.

[1] No names, in case they wish to disavow the association.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 13th 03, 06:47 AM
Tom Sherman

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

"Al Kubeluis" wrote in message ...
Hello Bikers,
I have practically stopped using arbr because of off topic stuff and
personal attacks and nit picking. OT has almost destroyed arbr.

I hear you, this place has gone to the dogs now that those lamer
benter types took over and ran out all us euro type roadies.

Yes, even the president of the Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club admitted to
being interest in getting a lightweight, high performance recumbent.

Don't worry Fabrizio, someday you will be able to ride your recumbent in
front of your friends without them ridiculing you. Won't it be a relief
to come out of the closet and get off that uncomfortable saddle?

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 13th 03, 06:51 AM
Tom Sherman

Mikael Seierup wrote:

I'm _not_ trolling here but you sorta forgot to add
"Don't contribute to threads about the sad state of the group
or drama queen farewell threads."...

And Mr. Seierup contributes to a "sad state of the group" thread.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth