Sunscreen damage to bike paint/finish?

Old December 20th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Sunscreen damage to bike paint/finish?

Hi folks. I am new to the group, so forgive me if this question has
been asked.

I recently found some damage to the clear coat on my Trek 5000 after
riding a double century. I couldn't imagine what did it, and was
basically just bummed about my bike. The finish was bubbled up on the
side of the top tube, approx 2.5 inches in length.

A couple weeks later, I was preparing for a ride with some friends, and
applied my sunscreen before driving to the meeting point. I went on the
ride, and when I returned and got it my car, I noticed that the plastic
door handle on the inside of the car was all bubbled up like someone
had put paint remover on it. It has some kind of soft rubberized
coating, and that was completely lifted up from the base plastic, again
about 2 inches in length, and about 1.5 inches in height.

The only thing that I can imagine that might cause this is the
sunscreen. In both cases, the damage was at points where my leg would
normally come in contact with the surface. I don't work with caustic
chemicals, and can't think of any other source for the damage.

Does anyone out there have any similar experience?

I didn't know this previously, but in doing some research I found out
that my tube of sunscreen was approximately 3 years old, and the
manufacturer has said that the product is not guaranteed to be stable
for that period of time. I don't really know if "instability" can cause
this problem.

Best regards,
Mike

Old December 20th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Fred

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Has your skin bubbled up?

Old December 20th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article om,
" writes:
Hi folks. I am new to the group, so forgive me if this question has
been asked.

I recently found some damage to the clear coat on my Trek 5000 after
riding a double century. I couldn't imagine what did it, and was
basically just bummed about my bike. The finish was bubbled up on the
side of the top tube, approx 2.5 inches in length.

Plain old sweat dripping off your face can do that,
especially near the the top tube/head tube junction.

It's a common complaint among folks who use trainers.

So now your bike looks used. That's a badge of honour;
it shows that your bike really does get ridden.
I bet a lot of Tour de France bikes from alpine stages
have ended up with similar "damage".

My last saddle[*] got pretty ratty looking, and I was
loathe to retire it, in part because it made the statement
that I ride a lot.

Bikes, like real, working, good ol' pickup trucks, can
withstand a little scar tissue. It even gives them
character and history.

My advice: wear it. With pride. And ride, ride, ride.
And maybe invest in a doo-rag.

cheers,
Tom
[*] I think I might put my ratty old saddle back. The one
I replaced it with is this boingy coiled-spring thing
I robbed off an old Mercier I've got. It gets too
bouncy when I really wind 'er up.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old December 21st 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bluejay

The only thing that I can imagine that might cause this is the
sunscreen. In both cases, the damage was at points where my leg would
normally come in contact with the surface. I don't work with caustic
chemicals, and can't think of any other source for the damage.

Has your skin bubbled up?

Do an experiment. Put some of the suspect sunscreen on your bike in
an inconspicuous place, and see what happens. You should either
"AHA" or or rule out the sunscreen.

Road bike crash damage jim beam Techniques 11 June 20th 06 07:11 AM
Bike tire damage to wilderness Rodney Mountain Biking 41 August 26th 05 09:55 PM
Sunscreen Song for Cyclists PiledHigher Australia 2 August 8th 05 04:26 AM
Mallorca bike box damage MSA UK 2 May 20th 05 01:13 AM
sunscreen makes you hotter? larry english Techniques 25 August 8th 03 01:58 AM