Littering cyclists are their own worst enemy

Old June 7th 17, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Littering cyclists are their own worst enemy

On 07/06/17 11:44, JNugent wrote:
On 07/06/2017 10:43, TMS320 wrote:

On 05/06/17 23:55, JNugent wrote:
On 05/06/2017 20:52, TMS320 wrote:
On 05/06/17 13:11, MrCheerful wrote:
On 05/06/2017 09:56, JNugent wrote:
On 04/06/2017 22:49, TMS320 wrote:
On 04/06/17 03:13, JNugent wrote:
On 04/06/2017 00:08, TMS320 wrote:
On 03/06/17 14:46, JNugent wrote:

Have look up at the top of the screen. What does
it say? Ah, yes... "uk.rec.cycling".

You love precision (except in connection with
vehicle tax) The word is cycling, not cyclists.

Who said anything different?

[ ... ]

TMS320:
You have it the wrong way round. People who do cycling are
often called "cyclists".

So what were you talking about when I had quoted the name of this
NG as uk.rec.cycling and you said: "The word is cycling, not
cyclists". I had (correctly) *written* the word "cycling".

No disagreement about "cycling".

So where lay this imprecision to which you referred?

Err... The name of the group is "cycling", not "cyclist".

A bit like vehicle tax being called "road tax". Rather
different to calling a dog a "dog" or a cat a "cat".

Road Tax had its official name changed (though not for everyday
purposes) for some reason which was either unclear (if no reason
at all was given) or was regrettable (in order to give the
deceitful impression that Road Tax wasn't paying for the roads
(or more than paying for them).

There has never been a tax officially called "road tax" and it is
not possible to rename something that never existed. On the other
hand, vehicle excise has been around for a long time. For a brief
period an amount was taken from vehicle taxes to put into a "road
fund". It must be this that confuses you.

The tax's official name was "Road Fund Licence", and there has always
been a minority who continued to refer to it as a "licence" with no
further adornment.

In your usual habit of using 50 words when 3 will do, you agree there
has never been a tax officially called "Road Tax". We're making
progress. RFL only existed for 6 years.

I do not object to your reminding us of any of that, especially since
it merely confirms that the colloquial "Road Tax", a term which dates
from the period when the tax was called "Road Fund Licence" anyway,
is just as correct now as it was in (say) 1926.

But for some reason, cyclists didn't cpomplain about "Road Tax" when
the correct term was "Road Fund Licence".

I have no idea when the public coined the term "road tax". Given the
small number of road going motor vehicles on the 20's, I expect few
people actually cared.

Why the change of heart? :-)

I wasn't around at the time. Try a seance.
Old June 7th 17, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

On 07/06/2017 12:32, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

the term "road tax" dates back well over a hundred years and the use of
the phrase is actually on the rise according to the Collins English
dictionary. They define it as:"a tax paid, usually annually, on motor
vehicles in use on the roads" and explain it for dumber readers as:"In
Britain, road tax is a tax paid every year by the owners of every motor
vehicle which is being used on the roads. "

You really should explain to the writers of that veritable tome that
they are wrong, in so many ways.

Note also that they make no mention of VED on the page about 'road tax'

Old June 7th 17, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

[...]

And that (uk.rec.cycling) is exactly how I quoted it. It's still there
above (until you snip it, which you haven't done yet).

So whar *are* you on about?

[...]

So why do *you* care now?

Why the change of heart? :-)

I wasn't around at the time. Try a seance.

I'm asking you why you are so frightened of the term "Road Tax", when
previous generations of cyclists and other assorted... er...
"enthusiasts"... were obviously not.

Old June 7th 17, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 1:21:00 PM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:
[...]

Congratulations, you have just shot yourself in the other foot.
What you call 'Road Tax' only raises £6 Billion.
Do you really believe that pays for the entire UK road budget?

Old June 7th 17, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 07/06/17 16:03, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Because some idiot turns up and claims the term is more than a nickname
made up by the public.

Why the change of heart? :-)

I wasn't around at the time. Try a seance.

I'm asking you why you are so frightened of the term "Road Tax",

Who says I am frightened of it? Oh you do. Why are so you so attached to
a made up name that you insist on capitalising it?

when
previous generations of cyclists and other assorted... er...
"enthusiasts"... were obviously not.

So you've performed the seance already. Please tell us more.

Old June 7th 17, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 07/06/2017 19:04, wrote:
[...]

"Only £6 Billion"!

Compare that with the annual amount collected as tax on bicycles (not
including VAT, as the VAT on cars is not included in the "only £6 Billion").
Old June 7th 17, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017 at 9:33:10 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 07/06/2017 19:04, wrote:
[...]

Cyclists can't use motorways so why should they pay for them.
The roads cyclists use are paid for by council tax and cyclists on average pay more than motorists.
Damage to roads is proportional to the 4th power of axle loading which means, to the nearest order of magnitude, a car does 10 000 times as much damage to the road as a bicycle.

How many times do I have to make a fool of you before you get the message?

Old June 8th 17, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 07/06/2017 20:51, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

I'd far rather hear more about why you (and, to be fair, others too) are
so frightened of the term "Road Tax".

And, by the way, what you were talking about when you accused me of
writing "cyclists" instead of "cycling", even though I'd written "cycling".
Old June 8th 17, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

wrote:
[...]

Why do you insist on going off on those wold tangents?

You know full well that Road Tax was in force, and being collected, in
the UK even before Italy had any motorways, let alone the UK.

So where does this connection between Road Tax and motorways come from?

And please explain again why those who live in the most expensive
housing and have the best-paid jobs don't have cars. That bit was never
convincing.