{Melb} Burnley Wharf Ramps

Old June 19th 06, 01:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default {Melb} Burnley Wharf Ramps

Hi melb a.ber's,

The issue of the ramps at Burnley wharf on the Main Yarra Trail has
been raised again with 'YarraBUG' (http://www.yarrabug.org), and I
sincerely hope *no one* went for a sixer this morning in the icy
conditions. Here's a map of the area in question:
http://tinyurl.com/ru9o7

More background info via BV:
http://www.bv.com.au/inform.php?a=7&b=174&c=1087

Invariably a lot of the cyclists who commute through are not from the
Yarra area, but we at YarraBUG do value their ideas & feedback. This
Tuesday night (20/6) we'll be discussing this issue at out monthly BUG
meeting and I've also placed it as a agenda item on the Yarra Council's
Bicycle Advisory Committee:
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/Consultation/Bicycle advisory
committee/

Now if you're a regular user of this area, here's some ideas to
consider for improvement:

- re-coating of ramp surfaces to enhance traction,
- different material to be utilised in the ramp surfaces
- altering the approach or angle of the ramps,
- enhanced signage?

If you have further suggestions, or want to have input, please either
contact us via cfsmtbATgmail.com or yarrabugATyahoo.com.au. Or you can
contact Yarra Council directly: Ph: 9205 5555, Email:
infoATyarracity.vic.gov.au
http://www.yarracity.vic.gov.au/

With any emails/correspondence, remember to include photographs of the
existing conditions to illustrate the problem. If you want, we could
make a time for a group visit to the area.

--
cfsmtb

Old June 19th 06, 01:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

There has been some recoating done on the ramps between Punt and MAry
St, it would appear (approx 1-2 months ago?)
but the ones near the wharfs are still hairy in the wrong conditions.
My personal beef is the unnecessary inverted-V-profile metal joins
still present in some of the pontoon joins. Half have been replaced
with perfectly flat ones but the other half remain. (my only be 2-3 ?)

Some of the corners on the pontoon/paths along there are jutting out
quite a way too. The kink approx 50m east of Chapel St comes to mind,
as does the eastbound approach to Mary St bend as you get back onto
land could be curved/leaning out too perhaps?

--
flyingdutch

Old June 19th 06, 02:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

flyingdutch Wrote:
My personal beef is the unnecessary inverted-V-profile metal joins still
present in some of the pontoon joins. Half have been replaced with
perfectly flat ones but the other half remain. (my only be 2-3 ?)

Yesh, I wonder about that.. some weere changed to flat ones just before
the Comm Games (I think), but the one that used to be really massive on
the wharf pontoon was changed to one that wasn't so massive.... still
capable of punishing the the backside and wrists if you're not paying
attention, but not as bad as what it used to be....

--
Snuffy

Old June 19th 06, 04:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Most commuting traffic goes through there on auto-pilot from what I've
seen.
Especally where there's a few riders in a loose group - sometimes it's
not the first rider that goes down.

I always through the ramps to be a little on the hairy side on morning
where fingers & toes don't seem to be your own.

Seems that any coating which will provide added grip in these cold/damp
conditons will require constant ( 3-4 times a year)
application/maintenace, this will add an extra dimesion/cost to this
option.

I don't think more/different signs would help. I've been through there
heaps of times but I couldn't tell you what the signs posted along
there say.

I'm not a fan of the pontoon resting at an angle on low tide/flow
days.

South side of the river doesn't have ramps......

--
Marx SS

Old June 19th 06, 05:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Marx SS wrote:
Most commuting traffic goes through there on auto-pilot from what I've
seen.
Especally where there's a few riders in a loose group - sometimes it's
not the first rider that goes down.

I know that I tend to back off form a group to take my own line.

I've gone down once on these ramps ~ 2years ago, commuting home,
raining dark, just wanted to be home, next thing I was on my hip and
the bike span straight down the ramp without touching the sides. Mostly
blame myself for that one rather than the surface as I wasn't taking
into account the conditions.

I always through the ramps to be a little on the hairy side on morning
where fingers & toes don't seem to be your own.

A friend went down through there last week, just after he had bought a
new bike (which was still at the shop!) Apparently he just missed
hitting the two riders that were standing on the side straightening
themselves up having just done the same thing.

Seems that any coating which will provide added grip in these cold/damp
conditons will require constant ( 3-4 times a year)
application/maintenace, this will add an extra dimesion/cost to this
option.

The resurfcaing of the ramps in the last few months seem to have
improved, what they don't do is reduce the chance of iceyness on the
concrete on a cold night/morning. This combined with changes of angle
in two planes (vertically and a corner) lead to a triple combination of
destablising factors.

I don't think more/different signs would help. I've been through there
heaps of times but I couldn't tell you what the signs posted along
there say.

Signs just absolve the council of responsibility, would prefer to see
better solutions

South side of the river doesn't have ramps......

Just lumps and bumps, a dismount to cross the bridge (you do dismount
don't you...), poor sight lines....

Old June 19th 06, 05:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle

PiledHigher Wrote:

Just lumps and bumps, a dismount to cross the bridge (you do dismount
don't you...), poor sight lines....

Sod this, I think we need a site visit with a working demonstration.
I'll bring the vid camera & try to organise a time/date. Any takers?

--
cfsmtb

Old June 19th 06, 05:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb wrote:
PiledHigher Wrote:

Just lumps and bumps, a dismount to cross the bridge (you do dismount
don't you...), poor sight lines....

Sod this, I think we need a site visit with a working demonstration.
I'll bring the vid camera & try to organise a time/date. Any takers?

--
cfsmtb

TinC is the resident crash test dummy......

Old June 19th 06, 06:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb wrote:
PiledHigher Wrote:

Just lumps and bumps, a dismount to cross the bridge (you do dismount
don't you...), poor sight lines....

Sod this, I think we need a site visit with a working demonstration.
I'll bring the vid camera & try to organise a time/date. Any takers?

If you get TimC. I,ll run the camera. You can run the mikes and we can
edit it at my work. We could also send it to funniest home video.

But seriously. My last exam is tomorrow. And I have to help move the
remaining Kathy stuff this week. But after tomorrow if you wanted to
set up a cam at a dodgy spot and see what happens in the way of live
demos I would be up for it

Dave
Old June 19th 06, 06:05 AM posted to aus.bicycle

PiledHigher Wrote:

TinC is the resident crash test dummy......

Good call!

--
cfsmtb

Old June 19th 06, 06:42 AM posted to aus.bicycle

dave Wrote:
cfsmtb wrote:
PiledHigher Wrote:

Just lumps and bumps, a dismount to cross the bridge (you do

dismount
don't you...), poor sight lines....

Sod this, I think we need a site visit with a working demonstration.
I'll bring the vid camera & try to organise a time/date. Any takers?

If you get TimC. I,ll run the camera. You can run the mikes and we
can
edit it at my work. We could also send it to funniest home video.

But seriously. My last exam is tomorrow. And I have to help move the
remaining Kathy stuff this week. But after tomorrow if you wanted to
set up a cam at a dodgy spot and see what happens in the way of live
demos I would be up for it

Dave

Would there be a way of setting it up so that it only records when
there's significant movement? I'm sure there are setups to do that.

--
Resound