Wheel weight

Old March 4th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Wheel weight

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 5th 19, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?

Sounds typical.

Two road front wheels w/rubber & skewer shown on scale he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

SuperChampion Record w/300g tubular 2lb 7.5oz
Velocity Aerohead w/Michelin Lithion 2lb 12 oz

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 5th 19, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?

Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?

Sounds typical.

Two road front wheels w/rubber & skewer shown on scale he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

SuperChampion Record w/300g tubular 2lb 7.5oz
Velocity Aerohead w/Michelin Lithion 2lb 12 oz

John was talking kilograms, not pounds. His 2.8 kg sounds awfully heavy.

I just weighed my front wheel twice, using two different scales. The
small spring scale said 1500 grams. The digital scale said 1540 grams.
That's about 3.3 pounds.

That's a Sun CR-18 rim, Pasela 28mm tire, 36 spokes, SunTour hub and
skewer. It's a touring wheel.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 5th 19, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 5/3/19 2:26 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Agree. I think a front wheel for racing would weigh about 1 kg. At
least I think mine is close to that.

John, Here is a listing of front and rear wheel weights, typically
without a tyre mounted. Add maybe 200g for a that, for a relatively
light weight tyre.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadwheels

--
JS
Old March 5th 19, 09:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:26:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?

Damn this is embarrassing.

After reading your post and thinking "Hey! he's right" I went out and
weighed a spare wheel. This time I took two scales and compared them.
The wheel with tire, skewer, etc. weighed 1.40kg with one scale and
1.41 with the other. When I weighed it the first time I wrote down
3.1kg.

Since normally I can read numerals pretty well I now have to try and
figure out how I went wrong :-(

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 5th 19, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks but before I use the table I need to re-weigh the wheels as I
found, after checking with two scales that for some reason I had
written down 3.1kg and when I weighed it again it had, somehow, become
1.4kg. Embarrassing, to say the least and I think I had better take
more care in counting my change from the super market :-(

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 5th 19, 10:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Still heavy in my world:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cmbDXwWvMibfs1Pg7

Lou
Old March 5th 19, 10:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Your photo isn't too clear. I copied it and enlarged it and the scale
reading seems to be 1045, 1.45 Kg? Is that with the tire, skewer and
any other normal bits and pieces included or is that the bare wheel?

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 5th 19, 11:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

It is 1045 grams. Kilo means 10^3 so it is 1.045 kilogram. See how easy our units are; just shift the decimal point ;-). I don't know what that is in mickey mouse units. All bits and pieces included and that is a 32 spoke wheel. I have to admit it is a light rim (425 grams IIRC), a light Tune hub and reasonable light tube and tire.

Lou
Lou

Lou
Old March 5th 19, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

~1.4 Kg doesn't actually sound too far off for a non-racing wheel.