The death of rim brakes?

Old March 13th 19, 09:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default The death of rim brakes?

On Sunday, March 10, 2019 at 1:34:24 PM UTC, wrote:
I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc brakes.. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim brakes a dead deal.

Deacon Mark

The problem doesn't stop with rim brake pads, which are cheap enough to manufacture and will presumably be available until it becomes a boutique item for Never Diskers. The real problem comes with getting good replacement rims for rim brakes. Even ten years ago it was smart when shopping the manufacturers' catalogues for rims to look first at whether the model was even offered with a rim braking-surface, or whether it was all given over to hip name promotion like DT Swiss.

All the same, I'm very keen on Magura's Rim Hydraulic Brakes which, if set up right and with their own proprietary blocks, in my sort of use has already lasted 10,000km with no impression whatsoever on the Exal rim, so that I expect a big mileage from the blocks (cheap) and huge mileage from the rim (irreplaceable). Maybe if I ever wear out the rim, I'll try the Ryde Big Bull, which is similar, if it's still available.

An even bigger problem looms on the horizon, or has already arrived according to SJS at
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-700c-29er-622/
"Rims - 700c - 622 The most common larger wheel size now, superceded the 27" (630) size"
I have 1mm clearance on my fave 29er with my fave tyres, Schwalbe's 60mm Big Apples. That won't be amusing.

And just when you start thinking, "Oh well, a 559cm/26in wheeled bike won't be so bad," the manufacturers will invent a new mid-wheel size to grab more of your money. It's a zero sum game, but not for you: the poor cyclist always loses.

Andre Jute
Don't shoot the piano player
Old March 13th 19, 10:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 13.03.2019 um 09:54 schrieb Andre Jute:
An even bigger problem looms on the horizon, or has already arrived according to SJS at
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-700c-29er-622/
"Rims - 700c - 622 The most common larger wheel size now, superceded the 27" (630) size"

When was the last new bike with 630 rims produced - 1975? 1985?
SJScylces still offer two rims of that size, so where's the problem?

The Kingcycle Recumbent was sold in the mid-1990's with 390 front and
541 rear wheel. The 390 front wheel can be replaced by a modern 406
fork and wheel no problem but for 541 there's no possibility of a
replacement at all...

Old March 13th 19, 11:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

On 13-03-19 02:46, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I guess we could do a poll. How many here have had a road bike rim fail
by having the brakes eat through it?

Not me personally, because I check for rim wear now and again. However,
a friend did have a rim develop a crack along the circumference while
riding. He managed to get home by disconnecting the brake cable on that
wheel, but to me this still seems dangerous.

Something related: For a new mountain bike I went for the expensive
Shimano Ice-Tec rotors, which have a steel layer over an aluminum core.
At the bike store they showed me a rotor that someone didn't check and
change in time: If the steel wears through, the aluminum will just
crumble. So another thing to check for wear.

Ned
Old March 13th 19, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 13/03/2019 2:17 a.m., James wrote:
On 13/3/19 12:46 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I guess we could do a poll. How many here have had a road bike rim
fail by having the brakes eat through it?

Failed during use, never.Â* I've thrown out a few rims that were well
worn, both MTB with canti brakes and road bike with regular caliper brakes.

Same here. I've worn out rims but I would replace them before they
failed. I don't think I've heard of anyone having that sort of failure
on the road.
Old March 13th 19, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rolf Mantel[_2_]

Am 13.03.2019 um 02:46 schrieb Frank Krygowski:

I guess we could do a poll. How many here have had a road bike rim fail
by having the brakes eat through it?

I believe I had this once in the early 1990's but maybe it was 'just' a
tyre blow-out while going down a steel hill in Edinburgh.

My wife had an rim fail on a rented MTB also in Scotland in 2001 but
that doesn't count.

Old March 13th 19, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/13/2019 4:44 AM, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.03.2019 um 09:54 schrieb Andre Jute:
An even bigger problem looms on the horizon, or has
already arrived according to SJS at
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/rims-700c-29er-622/ "Rims -
700c - 622 The most common larger wheel size now,
superceded the 27" (630) size"

When was the last new bike with 630 rims produced - 1975? 1985?
SJScylces still offer two rims of that size, so where's the
problem?

The Kingcycle Recumbent was sold in the mid-1990's with 390
front and 541 rear wheel. The 390 front wheel can be
replaced by a modern 406 fork and wheel no problem but for
541 there's no possibility of a replacement at all...

Japanese domestic market had major brand 630mm bikes within
the last 5 years. Haven't looked lately.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 13th 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 3/12/2019 9:01 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 3/12/2019 7:23 PM, Mark J. wrote:
: On 3/12/2019 11:57 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 3/12/2019 11:07 AM, Joerg wrote:
: On 2019-03-10 06:34, wrote:
: I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc
: brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I
: am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and
: certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim
: brakes a dead deal.
:
:
: Disc brakes are simply better. Take a look around around automotive
: and motorcycles. How many new cars and motorcycles are there that
: still have drum brakes in front?
:
: On Sunday I experienced the umpteenth reminder why rim brakes are
: inferior. We had to cross some unpaved area on the road bikes and it
: had rained. Muddy. Afterwards a descent on pavement, I reached in
: and after the usual and expected one-second of zero brake action the
: rim brakes came on. There was an awful grinding noise, you could
: literally hear aluminum being eaten.
:
: And yet, you survived. So did your rims.
:
: I've heard that sound thousands of times. I've never had a crash or
: rim failure as a result.
:
: Failure in one day, no, I haven't heard that either.Â* Failure over a
: shorter-than-you'd expect span of months, I've experienced that
: personally as have others on this NG.
:
: I've never had a rim fail by that mechanism at all. I'm not aware of any
: of my riding friends suffering that failure.
:
: Many, many years ago I was on a mountain bike ride where such a failure
: happened to an out-of-town guy I didn't know; so I understand it's
: possible. But I don't think it's at all common, at least around here.
: And especially for road bikes.
:
: Someone recently proposed that local soil content can make a difference.
: I'm open to that possibility. In our area, soils typically have high
: clay content, and I suppose that's not very abrasive stuff.

:I guess we could do a poll. How many here have had a road bike rim fail
:by having the brakes eat through it?

Me. Used bike, no idea on mileage. not many by me. ridden enough
that it had (by a prveious owner) a free wheel replaced.

--
sig 119
Old March 13th 19, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/12/2019 6:46 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I guess we could do a poll. How many here have had a road bike rim fail
by having the brakes eat through it?

I have, /while riding/, on my commuter rear rim. Fortunately it was on
the rear rim at low(ish) speed riding in a straight line. Contributing
factors are much rainy riding in stop-and-go traffic and negligence to
the point of stupid.

The latter is the main reason why I think you'll find few who have
experienced this /while riding/. Most of us (and even I, eventually)
are smart enough to replace badly worn rims.

If you're willing to count "replacement after wear to the point that
there was a real risk of spontaneous collapse" as failure, then I've had
5-6 failures, but only one while riding. Even I can learn from such
mistakes.

Note that I've never had a non-commuter rim come even close to such
wear; my other bikes have a vastly higher mileage-to-brake-use ratio, as
I suspect do most of us - I don't generally ride across the center of
town in traffic for pleasure/recreation.

Mark J.