Julich on Grewal

Old August 17th 04, 08:46 PM
RLBeldon

Default Julich on Grewal

http://www.suntimes.com/output/olympics/olycycle17.html

CYCLISTS DOWN TO LAST SHOT AT ROAD MEDALS

August 17, 2004
BY Tim Reynolds - ASSOCIATED PRESS

VOULIAGMENI, Greece -- On a tiny black-and-white television
plugged into the cigarette lighter of his family's car, Bobby
Julich watched Alexi Grewal win cycling gold for the United
States 20 years ago.

Last winter, he touched Grewal's medal. And a broken wrist
won't stop Julich from trying to win his own.

Julich will be among four American riders in Wednesday's time
trials for men and women, the last chance for the U.S. road
cycling team to win medals at these Olympics. At Sydney in 2000,
Lance Armstrong won bronze in the men's time trial; Mari Holden
won a silver for the women.

"The reason I got into cycling was watching Alexi win that gold
medal," Julich said Tuesday after training on the course one
final time. "When I got to hold it, I don't know, it was like
my career has gone full circle. And now I have the chance to
win it for myself. Enough said. I don't need any more
motivation than that."

Reigning national time trial champion Christine Thorburn will
ride in the women's field, as will Dede Barry. Medal hopeful
Tyler Hamilton joins Julich in representing the U.S. in the
men's field. Women will do one 14.9-mile lap, the men two,
with riders going out 90 seconds behind one another.

Unlike the demanding city course that riders navigated for
last weekend's road races, the time trial loop in this seaside
village with gleaming beaches 12 miles south of downtown
Athens is built for speed. It rolls along the coast of the
Saronic Gulf, is relatively flat and may be ideal for racing
against the clock.

"It's a great power rider's course," Barry said. "It's not
technical at all. There's no question that the strongest
rider will win."

Julich hurt his right wrist during a crash in the 13th stage
of last month's Tour de France. X-rays originally failed to
show a break, but he learned before Saturday's road race that
he had suffered a non-displaced fracture and will likely need
a cast.

That will wait. For now, Julich's aim is to join the ranks
of Grewal and Connie Carpenter-Phinney-- who won the 1984
Olympic road races in Los Angeles, the only road golds
claimed for the United States since 1904.

"This is it. This is what I've waited four years for,"
Julich said. "This is not going to affect my race at all."

Actually, his Olympic quest dates far longer. He was 11 when
Grewal won gold; Julich's father knew Grewal's father, so the
Julich clan wanted to get home from a day trip in time to watch.

They didn't make it. So, when they found a spot on the roadside
where the picture on the portable television wasn't rolling
and fuzzy, they pulled over and saw it happen. Julich never forgot.

"Watching Alexi Grewal that day was what got me going in
cycling," Julich said. "And here I am."

Defending women's gold medalist Leontien Zijlaard-van Moorsel
of the Netherlands will seek for a repeat gold. She crashed
late in Sunday's women's road race, badly bruising her hip
and shoulder-- but has been cleared to compete in the time trial.

Germany's Judith Arndt-- the road race silver medalist who
was fined for gesturing toward her national federation's
officials as she finished Sunday-- is among the women's
favorites, along with world champion Joane Somarriba Arrola
of Spain. Road gold medalist Sara Carrigan of Australia isn't
riding the time trial.

The men's field is loaded, with Armstrong the most notable
absence. He opted not to compete in these Olympics, instead
returning to Texas after winning a record sixth Tour de
France to see his children.

Viatcheslav Ekimov of Russia won gold in Sydney but now,
at 38, he can hardly be considered a lock to repeat.
Germany's Jan Ullrich won silver in 2000's time trial and
may need gold here to salvage what's been a disappointing
season, and road race gold medalist Paolo Bettini of Italy
is also a top time trial rider.

Britain's David Millar, who won the 2003 world title,
isn't here-- he's serving a two-year doping suspension
and will likely be stripped of his crown; the man who'd
be in line to receive it, world runner-up Michael Rogers
of Australia, is another top pre-race Olympic men's favorite.

"It's a pretty star-studded lineup," Julich said. "You don't
see this many great riders on form at a world championships.
The Olympics is really lucky they got such a great field."
Old August 18th 04, 12:57 AM
Snack

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:46:55 +0000 (UTC), RLBeldon wrote:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/olympics/olycycle17.html

CYCLISTS DOWN TO LAST SHOT AT ROAD MEDALS

August 17, 2004
BY Tim Reynolds - ASSOCIATED PRESS

VOULIAGMENI, Greece -- On a tiny black-and-white television
plugged into the cigarette lighter of his family's car, Bobby
Julich watched Alexi Grewal win cycling gold for the United
States 20 years ago.

And 20 years later will any kid have even been able to decipher the Mens
Road Race "coverage" of 2004!?

Lance... he of his holiness blows off the Olympics. This is just mind
blowing. Think about it. Greece, Olympics, 6 time Tour Champion, self
proclaimed promoter of cycling in America, the whole world watching. Nope
can't be bothered.

Phil Ligget and his hack crew... (nuff said. they stink full time on OLN,
mix them with 13.5 minutes of NBC primetime and it's like a High School
Radio and TV club implosion).

NBC... Could you at least put up a full page graphic something to the
effect of "when we cut away it was lap one, it is now lap five when we come
back it will be a five second shot of the third corner of lap twelve. Some
is live some is not we're not really sure, but we will get you some hot
Volleyball ass in short order!" And did anyone at NBC see OLN's summer
numbers?

.... sorry just watched my tape after coming back from vacation. wow.
Old August 18th 04, 01:47 PM
hold my beer and watch this...

I wonder if that starry-eyed little kid would have been so awe inspired if
he knew about guys getting transfusions of their own blood prior to the
event...?

.46...

Old August 18th 04, 06:57 PM
jerry

Dude, i was watching when Bettini went off with _ONE TO GO_ and they
say as much. Then they show the downhill, some chasers, then the flat
finish stretch. I am thinking, oh, they may catch with a whole lap to
chase.

Next thing you know, they are sprinting! WTF? they cut from the top
of the hill with ONE to go, right to the FINISH. Could you be more
confusing? I mean, I obviously follow cycling and it took me till the
actual finish sprint to figure out they cut out a lap.

How are we supposed to watch an event for sporting reason verses for
straight curiosity/visual amusemnt (eg syncro diving, WTF!) where it
wouldnt matter if it was poorly cut.

God. And i skipped reading the live reports on CN for that. made
sense the next day when i read the live coverage and realized they
were off for a whole lap. I thought i heard wrong on the coverage.

Dumbasses.

And what was with the CONSTANT freaking LANCE references? They are
talking about the olympics, and the olympic riders, and all they show
is canned Lance footage and all kinds of references to lance. HEY -
HE IS NOT ON THE TEAM. HELLO!

WTF.

at least they announced cross nats are in new england for a couple
years today.

Old August 19th 04, 02:30 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 21:07:44 -0500, Snack wrote:

19 days span between the Tour and the Olympic RR.
Phil even made a comment during the comment that Lance had misjudged his
potential fitness at the end of the Tour in regards to the Olympics (was he
baffled as well, simply mumbling, trying to provide a reason for viewers or
letting slip inside info from his buddy Lance)

We know why Phil is fixated on Lance. I'm guessing that Lance has made
a few paydays a bit more lucrative and added a few pay days as well.

OTOH, the nonsense circles are getting wide. Lafferty at least fixates
on a small, understandable band. You can join him or leave it alone.
But the above really movves into the WTF territory. Maybe even WTFF.
So does anyone remember what DILLIGAF means?

First: The Olympics are a sporting event, not world peace. Your
personal opinion of the thing probably depends on whether you tend to
remember the asshole moments more or the grace moments more. Its a
push IMO.

Maybe its appropriate to let those with grace and the assholes both
have their moments so we can all decide which side we're most
comfortable with. Me, well unfortunately I kind of like that Japanese
swimmer...

Second: We all know it wouldn't make any difference. The small vocal
group on one side would complain if Lance had come, demanding why he
didn't let some other poor schmuck have his day in the sun. Why, oh
why didn't he let Tyler or Eki have a moment of glory. On the other
side, they would be equally supporting Lance winning everything in
sight - if that's what he decides to attempt and then does it.

In the middle are the much larger numbers wondering why we're
bothering to talk about someone that wasn't even there.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...