The Speed Trap - BBC1 Scotland

Old November 9th 05, 07:42 PM
Sandy Morton

Default The Speed Trap - BBC1 Scotland

Paul Smith has just been on the Scottish news talking about speed
cameras - it is possible that he will be on the above programme.

Having seen him live on TV I was less than impressed by his
performance and attitude.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old November 9th 05, 07:54 PM
David Martin

Sandy Morton wrote:
Paul Smith has just been on the Scottish news talking about speed
cameras - it is possible that he will be on the above programme.

Having seen him live on TV I was less than impressed by his
performance and attitude.

Saw it too. Unfortunately I have to pop out to collect son (by tandem
of course) so will miss the first half.

...d

Old November 9th 05, 07:56 PM
Sandy Morton

In article , Sandy Morton
wrote:
Paul Smith has just been on the Scottish news talking about speed
cameras - it is possible that he will be on the above programme.

Should have said that it's on at 7.00pm tonight.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old November 9th 05, 09:40 PM
David Martin

Sandy Morton wrote:
In article , Sandy Morton
wrote:
Paul Smith has just been on the Scottish news talking about speed
cameras - it is possible that he will be on the above programme.

So, what happened? I saw about 30 seconds before I had to go out.

...d

Old November 9th 05, 09:56 PM
David Martin

David Martin wrote:
Sandy Morton wrote:
In article , Sandy Morton
wrote:
Paul Smith has just been on the Scottish news talking about speed
cameras - it is possible that he will be on the above programme.

So, what happened? I saw about 30 seconds before I had to go out.

Found the web pages for 'Frontline Scotland' but it isn't up yet. From
teh blurb it looks like it could be a PS benefit gig ;-(

...d

Old November 9th 05, 10:06 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 9 Nov 2005 12:56:13 -0800, "David Martin"
said in
.com:

Found the web pages for 'Frontline Scotland' but it isn't up yet. From
teh blurb it looks like it could be a PS benefit gig ;-(

Hardly a surprise. If you were to set up the ResponsibleAvoid website
telling people how it's not only perfectly responsible to avoid paying
tax but that it makes you a better person, I bet you'd get even more
support. The public loves to be told lies which support their
prejudices.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken
Old November 9th 05, 10:50 PM
LSMike

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
On 9 Nov 2005 12:56:13 -0800, "David Martin"
said in
.com:

Found the web pages for 'Frontline Scotland' but it isn't up yet. From
teh blurb it looks like it could be a PS benefit gig ;-(

Hardly a surprise. If you were to set up the ResponsibleAvoid website
telling people how it's not only perfectly responsible to avoid paying
tax but that it makes you a better person, I bet you'd get even more
support. The public loves to be told lies which support their
prejudices.

Guy

It's perfectly legal to avoid paying tax, it's evading it that'll get
you in trouble.

Old November 9th 05, 11:23 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 9 Nov 2005 13:50:01 -0800, "LSMike" said in
.com:

It's perfectly legal to avoid paying tax, it's evading it that'll get
you in trouble.

Never said it wasn't. It is, on the other hand, not the most socially
responsible action in the world.

Guy

Old November 9th 05, 11:45 PM

David Martin wrote:

So, what happened? I saw about 30 seconds before I had to go out.

It was the usual stuff from Paul Smith. One interesting point the
program brought out was that in recent years depite more cameras being
installed and the number of tickets being issued increasing vastly,
the number of drivers getting banned through totting up has remained
constant at about 14,000 per year. . The program suggested this might
be because most drivers with points moderate their behavior to avoid
getting more points and the cameras may be having the desired affect..
I did find myself shouting at the tv that it doesn't matter how many
cameras there are if you don't speed.

Old November 9th 05, 11:47 PM
Matt B

wrote in message
ups.com...
David Martin wrote:

So, what happened? I saw about 30 seconds before I had to go out.

It was the usual stuff from Paul Smith. One interesting point the
program brought out was that in recent years depite more cameras being
installed and the number of tickets being issued increasing vastly,
the number of drivers getting banned through totting up has remained
constant at about 14,000 per year. . The program suggested this might
be because most drivers with points moderate their behavior to avoid
getting more points and the cameras may be having the desired affect..
I did find myself shouting at the tv that it doesn't matter how many
cameras there are if you don't speed.

Do you think that all speed limits are appropriate for all conditions at all
times?

--
Matt B