New B&M 100lux headlight.

Old December 16th 17, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On 17/12/17 07:58, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:06:53 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:
I would expect to see something lit up in the distance beyond the
columns. Nope. The light stops dead in it tracks after passing the
columns.

Original photo:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium.jpg
I was wrong. There really is some detail in the dark areas beyond the
columns. I did some contrast and gamma tweaking with Irfanview, which
brought out some detail:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygo-Premium/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium%20-%20contrast-adjusted.jpg

I didn't need to manipulate the image to see in to the shadows. Your
eyesight or computah monitor might be substandard.

So, it might be real, where the Photoshop job removed all the expected
floor debris, ceiling hangers, and column fasteners which I would
expect in such an underground garage.

What are you talking about? There are rails on the ceiling as clear as
day, probably used to move that backdrop sheet to different distances
from the light. There's also what could be a cable duct between 10 & 20m.

So the floor is clean. Would t be better to have it looking like a
filthy car garage? It's their underground test lab no doubt!

Or, the background might have
been borrowed from a Poser or DAZ 3D libraries. I'm sure the photo
was edited, but I don't know to what degree.

Would you buy a headlight from a company that fakes their demo/test
photos?

Well I have one. It lives up to the advertising.

Drivel:

You said it!

--
JS

Old December 16th 17, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:
I would expect to see something lit up in the distance beyond the
columns. Nope. The light stops dead in it tracks after passing the
columns.

Original photo:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium.jpg
I was wrong. There really is some detail in the dark areas beyond the
columns. I did some contrast and gamma tweaking with Irfanview, which
brought out some detail:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygo-Premium/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium%20-%20contrast-adjusted.jpg
So, it might be real, where the Photoshop job removed all the expected
floor debris, ceiling hangers, and column fasteners which I would
expect in such an underground garage.

Your image obliterates the marks on the concrete that I can see in the
original. Either you can see where it has been swept clean or there are
marks in the concrete where it was smoothed when poured.

--
JS
Old December 16th 17, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 07:46:26 +1100, James
wrote:

I doubt they would go to the extent of all that fakery.

We'll just have to ignore the Photoshop record in the EXIF tag on the
photo. Sure, they need to add the distance markers and clean up their
test photos with Photoshop. However, once the editing starts, how far
should they go?

Much easier to
set up the lights and take a photo.

Yep. They also need to clean floor, remove any skid marks, pile the
boxes so they look nice and neat, and hide anything that might be
deemed "unsightly" on the ceiling.

I think you're trying to pick holes
for the hell of it.

Yep. It's my idea of fun. However, I'm burning too much time and
have some things that need to be done today. I'll be back probably
tomorrow or Monday.

Meanwhile, here's the best I can do with ImageJ2 and false coloring:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygo-Premium/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium%20-%20false%20color.jpg
I may also have been wrong about the light distribution at the base of
the columns. In false color, it looks mostly right.

But regardless of all that suspicion, the photos are there to illustrate
the difference between many of their lights. They show the beam shapes,
illumination on a road-like surface, and expected range.

If the bed sheet hadn't been hung at 45 meters, the reflection off the
road would have shown zero reflected light.

If it didn't reach about 45m, don't you think there would be an
outpouring of criticism and such on the internet?

Dunno. I ride rather slowly and am therefore only interested in
obstacles perhaps 8 meters in front of me. My guess(tm) is that about
90% of the discussions in RBT involve some form of criticism. Not to
worry. I'm used to it.

More later.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 16th 17, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

Wow. Such striking similarity to
https://www.bumm.de/files/Technologie/IQ-TEC%20vs%20IQ-Premium.jpg.
Whoda thunk it!

But regardless of all that suspicion, the photos are there to illustrate
the difference between many of their lights. They show the beam shapes,
illumination on a road-like surface, and expected range.

If the bed sheet hadn't been hung at 45 meters, the reflection off the
road would have shown zero reflected light.

What is important is to see obstacles and such _on_ the road surface,
not necessarily the surface itself, so job done.

If it didn't reach about 45m, don't you think there would be an
outpouring of criticism and such on the internet?

Dunno. I ride rather slowly and am therefore only interested in
obstacles perhaps 8 meters in front of me. My guess(tm) is that about
90% of the discussions in RBT involve some form of criticism. Not to
worry. I'm used to it.

More later.

That's why I'm criticizing your criticisms!

--
JS
Old December 16th 17, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/12/17 09:15, James wrote:
On 17/12/17 08:51, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

My guess(tm) is that about
90% of the discussions in RBT involve some form of criticism.Â* Not to
worry.Â* I'm used to it.

More later.

That's why I'm criticizing your criticisms!

I always strive to live up to expectations. Poor ol' Baz can't seem to
handle the heat in the frying pan, and after his personal email to me, I
don't see much hope for his recovery. I think he's lost the plot, poor
fellow.

--
JS
Old December 16th 17, 11:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, December 16, 2017 at 12:10:50 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 17/12/17 04:06, jbeattie wrote:
On the Urban, beam shaping is non-existent, but I do like the
pulse flash for non-injurious conspicuity.

Conspicuity or discombobulation?

For low light (as opposed to no light) conditions, the pulsing is nice and not seizure inducing.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 17th 17, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/16/2017 3:58 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I was wrong.

That phrase is very rare on Usenet! Congratulations on your honesty!

There really is some detail in the dark areas beyond the
columns. I did some contrast and gamma tweaking with Irfanview, which
brought out some detail:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygo-Premium/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium%20-%20contrast-adjusted.jpg
So, it might be real, where the Photoshop job removed all the expected
floor debris, ceiling hangers, and column fasteners which I would
expect in such an underground garage. Or, the background might have
been borrowed from a Poser or DAZ 3D libraries. I'm sure the photo
was edited, but I don't know to what degree.

Would you buy a headlight from a company that fakes their demo/test
photos?

Is it "faked" or is it clarified?

I'd use the former term only if the effect and intent was deception. But
I've bought several of their headlights. IME all performed as expected
or better, consistent with the beam shots I found. I don't think there
was anything dishonest happening.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 17th 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:06:53 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I would expect to see something lit up in the distance beyond the
columns. Nope. The light stops dead in it tracks after passing the
columns.

Could that be all that clean diesel soot hidden back there?

Original photo:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium.jpg
I was wrong. There really is some detail in the dark areas beyond the
columns. I did some contrast and gamma tweaking with Irfanview, which
brought out some detail:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygo-Premium/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium%20-%20contrast-adjusted.jpg
So, it might be real, where the Photoshop job removed all the expected
floor debris, ceiling hangers, and column fasteners which I would
expect in such an underground garage. Or, the background might have
been borrowed from a Poser or DAZ 3D libraries. I'm sure the photo
was edited, but I don't know to what degree.

Their Artist photo(shop)grapher is likely to have signed a bummer NDA, but
you could always try and ask info at bumm d0t de

Would you buy a headlight from a company that fakes their demo/test
photos?

As long as their product is what I expected and they don't also fake their
customer service: possibly yes.

Afaics, bumm's English claim merely is "We show real light fields of all of
our headlights." This doesn't go as far as to be claiming complete light
fields, single-photo pictures or pictures taken in more real surroundings
than those secret NASA Fake Moon studios Barry divulged.

I like bumm's garage series better than their previous, ridiculously bright
tunnel exit series. But they should not have hired Mr. von der Heiden,
apparently their product rendering designer, to build their garage, mess
with the mandatory emergency lighting, pour concrete over the garage's
drain, and obstruct an exit with flammable textiles.
Old December 17th 17, 03:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/16/2017 7:29 PM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
[...]

Maybe the flammable textile was a subtle dig at our mega-lumen fanatics,
whose headlamps would have set it on fire!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 17th 17, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 17 Dec 2017 08:12:57 +1100, James
wrote:

On 17/12/17 07:58, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Original photo:
https://www.bumm.de/files/Produkte/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium.jpg
I was wrong. There really is some detail in the dark areas beyond the
columns. I did some contrast and gamma tweaking with Irfanview, which
brought out some detail:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygo-Premium/80%20Lux%20-%20Ausleuchtung%20IQ-Premium%20-%20contrast-adjusted.jpg

I didn't need to manipulate the image to see in to the shadows. Your
eyesight or computah monitor might be substandard.

My eyesight sucks but is good enough to pass a driving test without
glasses. My monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 243T. 24", 1920x1200,
and a mediocre 500:1 contrast ratio. It's a a-si TFT/PVA panel, not
an IPS so it doesn't work too well near black. The video card is an
NVIDIA GeForce GT640. These were both state of the art circa 2003 or
so. No matter what I do to play with the display contrast,
brightness, and color temp, I still can't see the dim detail in the
dark areas.

So, it might be real, where the Photoshop job removed all the expected
floor debris, ceiling hangers, and column fasteners which I would
expect in such an underground garage.

What are you talking about? There are rails on the ceiling as clear as
day, probably used to move that backdrop sheet to different distances
from the light. There's also what could be a cable duct between 10 & 20m.

That's the problem... they're too clear as day. They're absolutely
perfect and pristine. I haven't been in too many office building
underground parking garages, but the one's I have seen don't look
anything like the photo. This is what a high end garage should look
like:
http://eemcnow.net/wp-content/uploads/thread-bmw-secret-underground-garage-unvieled_373162.jpg
It's the fabled BMW secret underground garage. I call to your
attention:
1. The far more numerous overhead sprinklers in the BMW photo. A
single string of sprinklers would not protect a 45 meter long area.
2. The inclusion of lighting fixtures in the BMW photo, which seem to
be totally absent in the original photo.
3. The concrete floor in the BMW photo, instead of what looks like
asphalt in the original photo. It's concrete because it's part of the
building foundation.
4. The posting of parking stall numbers and signs on the plumbing in
the BMW photo. In the US, there would be conspicuous "emergency exit"
and "fire extinguisher" signs.
5. The columns in the BMW garage have beveled edges to prevent
chipping. The original photo has sharp edges.
6. The painted lane lines are far too perfect to be for real. The
dashed center line is missing the dashes nearest the bicycle.
7. The rather odd bracketry at the top of the columns in the original
photo. These seem reminiscent of redwood deck hangers and are not the
way concrete pillars are done. They use internal rebar supports
molded into the concrete beams.

In my never humble opinion, the light pattern on the floor is probably
real, but the rest of the garage is fabrication.

So the floor is clean. Would t be better to have it looking like a
filthy car garage? It's their underground test lab no doubt!

I'm not suggesting a filthy garage. Just one that has the usual
janitorial supplies, dead equipment, and emergency survival supplies
in preparation for the zombie apocalypse.

Well I have one. It lives up to the advertising.

Oh-oh. You seem to have a vested interest in maintaining the
reputation of the headlight and Busch + Müller. You probably should
disqualify yourself from this discussion.

Drivel:

You said it!

Right. It is drivel. Did you try the Photoshop test? It wasn't easy
and I had to resort to guessing on about 8 of the photos. I went
through it again, and still managed to miss 6 out of 25 photos. A
talented artist can make most anything look real with Photoshop. The
problem here is that he apparently made it look too real.

Out of time (again). I'll be back probably tomorrow.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

The last headlight you will ever need somebody[_2_] Techniques 115 April 28th 14 02:12 AM
Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
FS: L&M ARC HID headlight Zach Marketplace 0 February 13th 08 07:25 PM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM