Are handlebars worth it?

Old November 18th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jimwahhh

Default Are handlebars worth it?

I have reasonably recently bought a UDC 36" Unicycle and am
wanting/starting to get into longer rides and im just wondering what
exactly the main purpose of handlebars are, do they:

- Give you something to put weight on?
- Help with steering?
- Improve posture?
- Look wicked?

Just trying to work out whether it's worth buying one, making one, or
making do without, as i haven't really had any problems at all riding
without one so far.

Also im not sure about mounting on a seat, i have the seat pretty much
slammed cos my legs are not telescopic, so if it bolts on between the
seat and seatpost im not sure it's going to work... There are only
pictures of the T7 from above on UDC (at least the AUS one).

Are there any other brands/styles worth looking at? i have heard the T7
is notorious for bending.

Thanks!

--
Jimwahhh
Old November 18th 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SHAY_CAM

It helps to keep weight off your crotch, and is much more comfortable.

--
SHAY_CAM

*UNICYCLE FOR _YOURSELF._ *
Old November 18th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

What Shay said, basically your first bullet. Beyond that, they:

- Inhibit steering (a bit)
- Do nothing for your posture
- Might look wicked or might make your unicycle look silly (mostly a
matter of taste)
- Add to your UPD anxiety (in proportion to their width)
- Provide a catapult point in high-speed dismounts

Having said that, I would dread any kind of long ride without one.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"False facts are frequently formed from figures fabricated from fear
fired fiction." -- Harper
Old November 18th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Spudman

Coker makes a handle, 'here'
(http://www.cokercycles.com/product.php?productid=3), that attaches to
the seatpost. If that still doesn't let you lower the seat enough, you
could find a threadless bicycle stem that fits over the frame and use it
instead of the stem they provide. If you did it right, it could just
replace the seatpost clamp.

I'm not sure how the Coker handle compares to the T7 though.

--
Spudman
Old November 18th 08, 03:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nexty

I have a spare T7 you could try out/borrow for a little while.

--
nexty
Old November 18th 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mango

Definitely worth it!

Contrary to john, they help my steering. They let my arms get more
involved in the steering process and not rely so much on my torso and
abs.

Being able to adjust weight is priceless to me on long rides, however
you still won't be able to ride indefinitely.

I love being able to grab the bars on all but the steepest uphills. My
theory as to why I like it so much is that it helps me minimize wasted
energy in the side to side when grinding up hill. Could just be
psycho-sematic though . Whatever as long as it helps, right?

They def get a lot of positive comments too.

I have the coker bars. It's true that they do rub the inner thighs. It
hurt alot during the first couple rides but after that, I no longer
notice it at all. I def. like that they are adjustable up and down as I
find different heights lend themselves to different terrain; low for
speed tuck on pretty level terrain, and high for off road.

DO IT!

--
mango

*Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
Old November 18th 08, 05:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boisei

I'm a believer.

I've got a T7, it's served me well.

When my riding buddy built his big pimpin aero handebars he went from
being the limiting agent on our long rides with his frequent "taint
breaks" to putting me to shame with not only his taintly endurance but
the increase in his sustained speed.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74023

--
boisei
Old November 18th 08, 01:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
florida

I recently bought a t-7 for my nimbus 29er. Since I only ride distance,
the t-7 is great addition. I experience no problem doing a free mount
and enjoy the looks from the roadies who acknowledge the skill for
riding one wheel. I was in a 35 mile ride with two-wheelers climbing
hill after hill passing some along the route. I only completed 17.5
miles because my back leg muscles tighten after I stopped riding for
five minutes.

--
florida
Old November 18th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Yes, very worth it. Most importantly, they allow me to put my weight
into my hands, and off the seat. Second, I think it stops one from
"sloshing" left/right when they wave their hands, producing a more
stable riding experience, taking less energy, and allowing you to go
faster. I also think you can do high speed turns, with the proper lean.
I also think it improves my racing posture, pushing me forward and more
aerodynamic (anyone who has seen me ride knows what I mean).

Overall, like John, I would dread doing a long ride without one.

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old November 18th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

For me my handle

- adds stability
- gives me a more aerodynamic position
- reduces (almost eliminates) wobble
- allows me to take pressure off the seat
- helps with steering
- gives me somewhere to put the brake handle
- gives me something to clamp on to when transporting the uni on a
bike rack
- allows for easier adjusting of position on the seat
- allows you to put some upper body muscle into climbs.

Different people have different opinions on handles. I like mine a bit
further away and lower than most. Yes the T7 is known to break at the
front plate. There are a few threads on here discussing how to
strengthen that part.

If you are new to 36ering you probably have your seat too low and you
could fit a handle under your seat, especially with the shorter seat
tubes on the Nimbus frames.

If you are indeed to short for a T7 or Coker handlebar to work for you
you could rig something up with a stoker stem that clamps to your seat
tube.

--
saskatchewanian

handlebars Zebee Johnstone Australia 1 October 30th 07 10:17 AM
handlebars Zebee Johnstone Australia 0 October 20th 06 08:38 PM
OS vs. 26.0mm handlebars? damyth Techniques 21 August 26th 06 09:09 PM
WTB: 44 cm handlebars Daniel Mendoza Marketplace 0 November 9th 04 05:18 PM
Ban Handlebars Tony Raven UK 6 February 7th 04 02:11 PM