Encounters with Vehicles

Old December 8th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
iAmVincent

Default Encounters with Vehicles

Post your close encounters with motor vehicles here and give a brief
description.

I think it was about two months ago, I ended up on the hood of a car.
What happened was I was riding along the sidewalk of a one-way road,
going the opposite way of traffic. A guy ahead pulls up on a connected
road with the intention of turning onto this one-way road. So I ride
into the crosswalk, and when I'm in front of his car he starts moving.
Well, it takes him a second to realize that I'm on his hood, so he stops
and I actually kind of slid off the hood and landed on my feet (with the
bag I was holding still in my hand). I checked my uni, it looked okay,
so we both went our separate ways. It's pretty obvious that he hit me
because he was only paying attention to the traffic on his right side
since it was a one-way road. Well, I sure learned my lesson: ALWAYS
make eye contact with drivers!

--
iAmVincent

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity.
~Voltaire
Old December 8th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sxbud138

I have had three close calls, all on my coker and out of the city.Frist
one i had a hillbilly drive past and I heard his truck turn around at
the corner and he gased it as he went up the hill past me rather close
and He said something but I didnt catch it.Second was when i rode
faceing traffic and a car coming from my rear turned beside me a driver
behind him pulled into my lane and didnt see me untill it was almost to
late. I looked back in time and rode into the ditch as he tried to not
take me out. The funny thing is he never stopped! Next trip I was riding
to my state park to meet my wife and kids, I left first to get a head
start on the family and about half way i hear a car coming down the
rode,no big deal, then just as it passes me the horn blasts and I almost
jump of my coker! I look up to see my lovely wife and kids waving as
they fly past me in the truck.So nice !

--
sxbud138
Old December 8th 08, 02:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Buddy

'My encounter with a vehicle.'

Buddy

Leah "The Buddy"

how i miss my old account...
Old December 8th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

I've never been run over but I have had my pedal taken out by a mexican
in a lowriding truck on my way to work he didn't see me and pulled
forward as I was swerving around him trying to aticipate how far he
would pull out and his bumper was right at pedal level and it snagged my
pedal and I went flying.

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle*)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
Old December 8th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

In late august of this year, I was cruising on my coker on the side walk
and just about to cross the street on a green light, when an old woman
in a covertable decided to pull out in front of me. I was lucky to have
enough space to hop off my wheel, turn around and hit the side of the
car with my back. I wasn't injured at all, but it really taught me to be
more careful and aware of cars.

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

In nomine patris et filii et spiritus sancti

)--21stOverall-RTL2008-O
)--18thCriterium-RTL2008-O
Old December 8th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

iAmVincent;1145364 wrote:
[...]

A better lesson would be: don't ride on the sidewalk, or on the
opposite direction from traffic, if you're moving faster than walking
speed. Cars will inspect the area directly at the crosswalk for
pedestrians, and then (as you noticed) look for car traffic on the
street. If you're moving faster than a pedestrian, you will often put
yourself in a position where you're moving into a danger zone when a
driver isn't expecting you.

--
tholub
Old December 17th 08, 03:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ben Meighen

Have to agree with the no coker on the sidewalk rule, coker speeds are
too much unless you are going as slow as a walking pedestrian. Always
make sure at intersections that you see the eyes of every turning car if
your in their path.

It's almost as dangerous as all those people who ride their bike on
crowded sidewalks

--
Ben Meighen

Git-R-Done