Clipless Pedals - Anything I should know..

Old August 10th 03, 09:03 PM
ebola

Default Clipless Pedals - Anything I should know..

.. I've just tried using clipless pedals (spd 515's ), easier to learn
than I thought. They certainly feel better for riding hard. only used
them for 2 rides so far, and generally they still can feel a bit
strange too.

Prior to using them, I've had a case of some strange knee sensation for
a couple of days after a hard ride (- alarm bells - took up policy of
only a couple of harder rides a week & low gears+high rpm ). ... so I'd
like to know if they're going to have more or less risk of joint-strain.

I'm cycling mainly on a commute-as-daily-excercise-and-recreation run (
18 mile round trip, 3 weeks now, rest day midweek ), so I guess long
term sustainability is more of a priority than outright efficiency .. at
the same time improving my times is fun.

Old August 10th 03, 09:35 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

1. Don't forget to unclip *before* you stop

2. Make sure they are properly positioned on feet/pedals

3. Practice clipping in and out on a *quiet* bit of road with *soft* verges for
you to fall in when you forget to unclip

I now swear by my Look pedals & cleats. I can even clip in and out in traffic
(cor! for me that's an improvement) and I've only fallen over without
unclipping first the one time. It demonstrated the only practical use of all
that fat padding round my large rear end ;-)

When using normal pedals I get a very painful left knee in the front and inside
of the knee joint. Using clipless this has completely vanished.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old August 10th 03, 10:08 PM
Thomas

"ebola" wrote in message
. I've just tried using clipless pedals (spd 515's ), easier to learn
than I thought. They certainly feel better for riding hard. only used
them for 2 rides so far, and generally they still can feel a bit
strange too.

Prior to using them, I've had a case of some strange knee sensation for
a couple of days after a hard ride (- alarm bells - took up policy of
only a couple of harder rides a week & low gears+high rpm ). ... so I'd
like to know if they're going to have more or less risk of joint-strain.

I'm cycling mainly on a commute-as-daily-excercise-and-recreation run (
18 mile round trip, 3 weeks now, rest day midweek ), so I guess long
term sustainability is more of a priority than outright efficiency .. at
the same time improving my times is fun.

I love my SPDs, although I'm currently attempting to get over my one problem
with them. Right now, whenever I stop, I *always* unclip my right foot and
leave the left one clipped in. Which means that I still crap at clipping-in
/ unclipping on the left.

Now having to practise always doing it on the left. Hopefully, one fine fine
day, a happy middle position shall be found...

Thomas.

Old August 11th 03, 08:36 PM
ebola

ok thanks for the info

Until I check on the alignment perhaps I'll go back to regular
pedals / save them for harder weekend rides where they appear to
make more difference. ( will save me taking a change of shoes for
the office floor.. )

At present the SPD's ( day 3 ) feel pretty good & natural to use, but on
joint issues r.e. near daily use I think it will be better to be safe
than sorry.

Old August 11th 03, 09:14 PM
tony R

"ebola" wrote in message
ok thanks for the info

Until I check on the alignment perhaps I'll go back to regular
pedals / save them for harder weekend rides where they appear to
make more difference. ( will save me taking a change of shoes for
the office floor.. )

At present the SPD's ( day 3 ) feel pretty good & natural to use, but on
joint issues r.e. near daily use I think it will be better to be safe
than sorry.

I came to the same conclusion a few weeks ago and reverted to clips before
setting off on tour. I was experiencing pain in one knee after fitting Time
atacs. I have to say that the test run the day before the tour started
almost broke my heart. After a week or two clipless the toeclips suddenly
seemed totally inadequate. However, after a few miles I'd forgotten and
don't regret the decision. Although, now I have the time and avoiding injury
is not quite so essential I'm going to try the atacs again - but in a more
considered fashion.
tony R.